Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2019, 10:59 PM   #1

Running the refrigerator at storage?

We are In a open air covered storage. What is the general though on running the refrigerator on gas for a day or two before picking it up. I feel it is ok but the DW is concerned. Any thoughts?Click image for larger version

Name:	20180620_121506.jpeg
Views:	152
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	206784
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:13 AM   #2
World Wide Wanderer

I don't see an issue with it unless it is brutally hot and there is no air moving.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:17 AM   #3

Just remember there is an open flame if your running refrigerator on gas. I personally would not run it in storage cause anything could happen and you would be responsible for any damage to others property. I always take my camper home a few days early so I can cool down refrigerator and that way I can keep an eye on it and it wouldn't damage others property. Just my 2 cents.
happyttowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I don't see an issue with it unless it is brutally hot and there is no air moving.

Aaron
We are in Florida so brutally hot is an every day thing.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyttowner View Post
Just remember there is an open flame if your running refrigerator on gas. I personally would not run it in storage cause anything could happen and you would be responsible for any damage to others property. I always take my camper home a few days early so I can cool down refrigerator and that way I can keep an eye on it and it wouldn't damage others property. Just my 2 cents.
This is my wife's thought also. We normally do and will also I was just thinking a head start would be nice.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:02 AM   #6

completely different response, but i am impressed with your ability to get the trailer into that enclosure. those little diagonal braces in the top corners sure look intimidating to me.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
completely different response, but i am impressed with your ability to get the trailer into that enclosure. those little diagonal braces in the top corners sure look intimidating to me.
It is a very tight fit. But with the dw as a spotter it isn't so bad. I can even do it on my own if I take a few extra minutes.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyttowner View Post
Why worry about running the refrigerator while in storage. Everyone runs it while they're living in it, especially while sleeping at night. Why not worry then?

That flame isn't exactly an open flame as it's shielded from pretty much everything around it. As for flammable vapors, most are heavier than air and refrigerators are mounted high above the ground.

There's no more risk while your TT is in storage than while using it.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #9

Since you are asking about running off of propane, I presume that you don’t have electricity in storage.
So, some (maybe all) refrigerators still rely on some amount of electricity, like your battery. If you shut off the battery disconnect, or battery goes dead, the refrigerator may shut down.
Canadian Laker Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #10

x2 on TitanMike's comment. Run it.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #11

X3 on Titan Mike. We run ours in front of our house the day before we leave, and while driving without problems. Unless you have gasoline or other flammable fumes in close proximity, I don’t see an issue.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #12

Refer

I'd run it. Flame is brutally small. Get a start on cooling it. Just make sure the RV is level!!!
Handydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Laker Tim View Post
Since you are asking about running off of propane, I presume that you don’t have electricity in storage.
So, some (maybe all) refrigerators still rely on some amount of electricity, like your battery. If you shut off the battery disconnect, or battery goes dead, the refrigerator may shut down.
I have considered that also. Just water on site. I dont think I'm to concerned with the battery power for 2 days. We have 4 group 24 batteries. I know they aren't true deep cycle but feel that wont be to much drain.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handydc View Post
I'd run it. Flame is brutally small. Get a start on cooling it. Just make sure the RV is level!!!
Yes for sure. The storage is pretty level and I don't have to worry about water run off.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #15

I would not worry too much about any open flame issues. I run mine on propane even when refueling my truck.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
I would not worry too much about any open flame issues. I run mine on propane even when refueling my truck.
Gasoline vapor flows across the ground like water when unconfined so little chance of a any RV pilot or refrigerator flame lighting it off as long as its over a foot off the ground.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #17
Newly Retired

No problem

I see no concern about running the fridge on gas while parked. I have used one parked for months since I put a solar panel on the roof. Without 110 power you are depending on the battery staying above 11 volts or so to keep the flame going. 12 hours should be enough time to cool it down enough for food. If your battery is not already weak when you try to start the fridge, you should be fine.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:28 PM   #18

If she's worried about the propane issue, you're probably not going to win the argument. You certainly don't want to live with the 'I told you so' if something goes wrong.

Instead, freeze some gallon bottles of water or use some frozen freezer packs and put them in there to precool the fridge and freezer. I'm making the assumption that what you're trying to do is to precool the unit prior to putting food in there.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
If she's worried about the propane issue, you're probably not going to win the argument. You certainly don't want to live with the 'I told you so' if something goes wrong.

Instead, freeze some gallon bottles of water or use some frozen freezer packs and put them in there to precool the fridge and freezer. I'm making the assumption that what you're trying to do is to precool the unit prior to putting food in there.
Not a bad idea. Its coming home Thursday we leave Saturday morning. I was just thinking if I run it Wednesday I would get a head start. I'm sure we will bring some sort of ice cream so I wanted to be cold cold. Last time we brought some of the liquid type ice pops they took 2 days to freeze after flipping them twice a day.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:14 AM   #20

If your fridge is a Dometic, it probably has the door seal heater strips in it. This heater uses more DC power than the control board. If you take the cover off of the control board which is outside the rv, you can disconnect the "light/heater" wire. I normally do this when boondocking or precooling the fridge before a trip.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, storage