Old 02-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
Here's the MSDS for Peak RV anti freeze. Hazards ID is rated a "0", can't get no lower than that.
and a lower flammability rating than strait Kentucky bourbon.

although too much of that RV antifreeze can't be good for ya'. could create genetic deficiencies, don't you know.

Dueling Banjos Deliverance - YouTube

teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
We are in FL as I type this. Drove down here on Friday with Pink RV antifreeze in
all the lines. Once here I hooked up to local tap with a filter and flushed the lines.
Some foam on the first day or 2. After that no foam, no taste, just good water.
We're drinking it and making coffee with it.
I do this every year.

RV antifreeze is safe and we have had no issues with residual taste beyond a couple
of days when we first start up the water system.
Glad to see you are in my neck of the woods

Originally Posted by Ovair View Post
Show her the jug. It says non-toxic right on it.

Tell your "friend" about dihydrogen monoxide and let them go nuts trying to stay away from it.
I got a laugh out of this one -

Almost like telling some one to get you some neumatic fluid

To the OP - hopefully you can convince your wife the water is safe to drink - if you sterilize your lines and tank in your camper just make sure to remove the water filter prior to sterilizing and reinstall after you all is clean

2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 - Matt
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Qaud Cab 4x4 with 35" tires and 3.92 gears, Dynatech Longtube Headers & Fabtech 6" lift + Superchips with shift Tuning
Nights Camped 2011 (37) - 2012 (16)-2013 (2) -2014 (5) -2015(0)
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #13
Get smarter friends. Sorry had to say it
TV: '15 Ram 6.4 Hemi CC 4x4
Old TT: '12 Rockwood Roo 19 (sold)
New TT: '14 CR Sunset Trail 290QB
WD: Equalizer 1200/12K
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #14
Pirate Todd and Wench
Give her the Pepsi challenge! Take a water sample from your camper and fill a bottle of her favorite bottled water and let her compare! I did this with my wife and she insisted the one bottle was better! The kids tried it and agreed with mom that bottle "a" tasted better, and bottle "b" was terrible......(s***) to quote her directly!
In the reveal BOTH bottles of water I filled where from the kitchen sink of the camper! BUSTED BABY! Sometimes its just all in your head!
mrtodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
So dc whats the verdict? TO DRINK OR NOT TO DRINK?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #16
HAHAHAHA......Thank you all for the informative and funny thoughts. I will clarify it was HER friend and not mine that made the comment. The verdict is to DRINK after a good sanitizing of the water lines. Happy camping to all, we have plans to camp St Patties day weekend here in NC.....looking forward to it!!!!
North Carolina
DC_In_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #17
Propylene glycol is used in many things we eat and drink and put on our skin. It's in things like beer, mayonnaise, biscuits, syrup and even dog food. It's used in toothpaste, cosmetics, deodorants, shampoo and similar products. It's all around us and we're pretty much exposed to it every day in our lives. Folks ought to read labels on products sometimes. You'll find this stuff in ingredients lists all the time.

It's FDA approved and by other similar authorities around the world. By itself, propylene glycol is tasteless and nearly odorless. It's the other ingredients in propylene glycol based RV antifreeze that you see and smell. I can't imagine anyone being allowed to sell antifreeze for use in RVs if it was toxic. Come on..... Automotive anitfreeze is different of course and toxic to humans and animals.

I'd stay away from alcohol based antifreeze because it's hard on seals and components. Ethanol in gas is hard on seals in older cars. Tough to avoid ethanol blended gas nowadays.

There's waaaay more stuff out there that you should be concerned about and some that isn't even controlled (yet). Like sodium for example (aka salt). It's added to just about everything you buy.

I remember when Roundup first came out decades ago, they had an ad on TV showing a guy drinking the stuff to prove it isn't toxic. Not sure I'd want to try it.

I found it's easy to blow the lines out with compressed air so haven't bothered with RV antifreeze in the water lines. I used some in the P-traps and toilet though. Not sure why some people (esp. dealers of course) say air is a poor choice.

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote