Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #1

RV Back to Forest River For Repairs

Hi, Hope this is the correct form to post this. Our 2011 Forest River Flagstaff Micro Lite XLT 18RB has to go back to Forest River. Since we bought it last summer the floor has continued to get weaker. We took it back to the dealer at the end of December. It has to go back to Forest River for the repair .
The question I have has anyone else had to send their RV back to Forest River for repair. If so how long before you got it back and how well was the repair done.
Thanks,
Phil
Phil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #2

Forest River took our Rockwood ETC181 (same as your 18RB) back to the factory on Sept 29 and returned on Oct 28 2011. We had finished camping for season so told them needed it back before first snowfall (no hurry). Our TT was returned to modify the Murphy bed to make it more secure when down (stop auto rotate into storage mode). Our Murphy bed is now similar to yours. I'm interested in what your problem is with the floor? Our repair was done very well and many minor items corrected. How do you like your 18RB?
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
rschoono289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply and good to know Forest River came through for you. The floor had a little give in it when we first bought the RV as we walked on it continued to get worse. Now when you walk on it. It will sink down 2 to 3 inchs. I don't know what caused this neither does the dealer. I looked under the RV and the only cross support in the living area are under the table and at the bathroom door. I asked the dealer if it was suppose to have more cross supports. He said he didn't know.
We really enjoy the camper. The Murphy bed makes it seem like a much bigger RV. Other than the floor we are extermly happy with the RV. How do you like yours?
Phil
Old 01-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #4

We also bought the 2nd year warranty for $150 US. Have you done this as well? I have a soft spot in the floor just outside the bathroom door. It hasnt got worse. We did a 4900Km trip out to PEI on east coast and down thru Maine,New Hampshire,Vermont back into Quebec then home. Pulled thru White Mountains without problems. Our trip was in Sept so very rainy. The jalousie windows worked great. But if you cant go outside it gets cramped as only dinnete. What type of TV are you using? Took ours on CAT scales and with about 12 gal of fresh water trailer weighed 3338 with 457 on tongue.
My TT is stored on farm. Last trip to check it noticed snow inside the window near dinnete. I think there is gap between plastic window and the frame. Do you have rubber gasket around windows?? Overall really like the trailer.
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
Old 01-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Phil and Roy,
Are you responsible for towing your trailers to the factory and for the pickup when its done?

I always wondered that and its just out of curiosity really.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #6

I left the trailer at the dealer and FR used a hauling company (3rd party I think) to pull the trailer to the factory and back. No charge to me. They have a separate factory for warranty repairs. I made a list of all problems and they fixed them all and then some not on my list. Very satisfied that FR takes ownership of problems.
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
Old 01-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #7

Yes we bought the 2nd year warranty for $150. However I asked the dealer about waiting till after this year camping season to send the RV back. He said the 2nd year warranty wouldn't cover what I needed done. I thought the 2nd year warranty extended the 1st year and covered everything. The dealer said a few things weren't covered by the 2nd year warranty. I'm not sure about the jalousie windows having a seal. We were at the NC outerbanks in the early spring and were in a huge thunderstorm. I checked all the RV and the windows afterwards and could find no sign of a leak. I would check the windows but the camper is at the dealers. When we go to the dealers to get our personal stuff out of the RV for the trip to Forest River I'll check the windows and post what I find.
I'm glad you enjoyed your 4900Km trip it must have really been fun. We tow with a V6 Dodge Dakota 4 wheel drive pickup. It tows the camper well. We've pulled it in the mountains of NC with no problems. What do you tow with?
Scott the dealer said Forest River would pickup our RV and return it to them when the repairs were finished. I don't know if it will be a hauling company (3rd party) as they used with Roy or Forest River. The only thing about my repair is the dealer said Forest River said it could take up to 2 months to complete the repair. Which means I'll miss part of spring camping but I'd rather them not rush the reapir.
Phil
Old 01-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks guys. Its nice that they pickup and deliver. Good luck with the repairs, Phil.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
camping

I've had mine in before and they like to schedule the repair so they can get it in and out. they also don't want to have the trailers sitting around taking up space. I would be in contact with Forest River and not take the dealers word for it. I will PM you the contact info. the reason for the 2 months might have more to do with the dealer getting a transporter. the guys at the service department are awesome and really do a great job. being close to the factory I use them for any warranty work, as my dealer was the worst for anything service related. they no longer sell FR products.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #10

Thanks Tentcamper for the contact info. I think I might give Forest River a call next week. According to my dealer Forest River is sending someone to pickup the camper but we both know dealers say alot. I thought the length of the repair could be because they may have to take the RV body off the frame to do the repair. What warranty work did you have done?
Thanks,
Phil
Old 01-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
camping

the furnace quit on the first trip, minor water leak at a fitting, the FW tank was sitting on an angle due to a bent bracket. some other minor items.
going to take it in March 5th to get the shower re-caulked, the power jack makes a weird sound and sometimes the up/down switch gets stuck.

all in all not too many things at all, been very happy with the trailer and the customer service from the Flagstaff/Rockwood Division.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #12

Phil: thanks for checking about the gasketing on the jalousie windows. We never had any rain get in the camper during heavy rain storm but only snow blowing in underneath the window while in storage. Surprised to learn that 2nd year warranty doesnt cover your repair. We use a 2002 Tundra 4x4 V8 to tow the ETC181. btw, adding signature with details on TV and TT helps. Look under quick links. Hope your repair is without incident
Thanks
Roy
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
Old 01-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #13

Roy, It surprised me to when I found out the 2nd year warranty didn't cover everything the 1st did. No problem on checking the windows. I'll post back here when we get back from emptying the tt. Thanks for the tip on the signature. How long is the camping season in Canada?
Old 01-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #14

In Southern Ontario it's late May through late Oct

We got our TT in July so did a few local trips then the big trip. Never towed TT so still not good backing into sites. Usually ask for drive thru. Only two of us so don't stay in one place more than two nights.

Really looking forward to camping in 2012

Look forward to your results with floor and what is done. Btw perhaps your refrig isnt vented so moisture in floor.(perhaps)

Thanks
Roy
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
Old 01-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #15

The camping season here last from March till early November.This is our 3rd camper and I still don't back to well. We traded for this one in June.

There are no signs of moisture in the floor. As with you there are only two of us. It depends on where we are going how long we stay at one place. Also looking forward to the camping season and hoping we don't lose to much of early sping camping due to the repair.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #16

Hi Roy, Went and cleaned the TT out today. There is a black gasket around the windows. It looked like it made a tight seal where nothing could get by it. I asked the dealer to see if Forest River would extend the factory warranty since the repair was going to take so long and I wanted to be sure everything was ok with the camper before the factory warranty ran out since the 2nd year warranty didn't cover everything. He emailed them and got the reply back before I left. Forest River is going to extend the orignal warranty for 6 extra months. They also said they are going to try do the repairs sooner and get my tt back much quicker than they first said.
Phil
Old 01-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #17

Hi Phil, thanks for checking the window gasket. Really pleased that FR extended your warranty to ensure the factory has time to finish the repair. I'm interested how they repair your unit. Keep us posted.
This afternoon we booked space at the International FROG Rally in Indiana. This is a 647km (one way) trip booked for Aug 13 thru 16. It includes factory tour at FR plant in Goshen, Ind.
Roy
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
Old 01-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #18

Hi Roy, Your welcome. I'll post about the repair when I get the tt back. I recevied the paperwork for the FROG Rally but we are going to wait till next year. It has to be fun with all the Forest River owners meeting.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #19

Hi, Went to pick up tt today. Forest River finshed the repair much sooner then they said. The floor has no give when walking on it now. I looked under the tt and they had added no extra bracing that I could see. They had taken the tt body off the frame I'm almost sure off. All the screws securing the tt body to the frame were new, the whole exterior of the camper had new caulk and the vinyl floor was another pattern. Good thing the wive liked it better than the old. I asked the dealer if he knew what the factory had done. He said he didn't know and the paper work didn't say. I'm not sure but I think they may have added another layer of wood to the top of the floor.
Forest River fixed a few other things that I noticed that weren't on the reapir order. All new decals and a solid cover for the drawer in the frig. They forgot to send back the foot off the tongue jack. Dealer called them and they are going to ship it to me. We are happy with the work done but will have to camp a few times to be sure everything is ok.
Phil
Old 03-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #20

Phil

Good to hear your floor is better than new. I found that the mini lite floor is made of layer of lino,luan,foam,luan and bottom covered with black darco. It sounds like FR added a layer of plywood as you suggested. Not sure how they could separate the tt body of the frame without body damage.

Sounds like your experience was similar to ours. FR supporting the customer. I would prefer they corrected the quality prior to shipping instead of spending so much to correct field problems. Not very cost effective for any business.

Now you can look forward to 2012 season. Enjoy your "new" 18RB

Roy
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH