Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooVader View Post
Has anyone tried those EsiCam systems on Amazon? I realize most of the reviews are from the Vine program but it seemed like a few were legit. More importantly I looked at a few youtube videos of them in actual use and the lag didn't seem too bad and the resolution was decent. I am a little intrigued by a camera I can use in multiple situations and I like that it could be for observation and backing up.

Obviously I am a little skeptical of the brand.

Is 100 degree spread a bit narrow for reversing?
I am always dubious about flowery reviews when the reviewer has gotten it free or at a reduced price. Even more so when there are very few reviews or the majority of the reviewers got the discount. When researching a product, the first thing I look at is the number of reviews, then look at the percentage of good to bad reviews. I also do a general search of reviews independent of the seller. When doing those searches, I read a portion of the 1-3 star reviews, then the 4 to 5s. If the 1-2 ratings are in the 20% range, I look for another alternative. I also look at the oldest reviews from the people that have had it the longest and the updates to the reviews. The oldest and worst reviews are most often at the back.

Addressing the 100 degree field of view, it is a bit narrow. Look at the corner of your desk-it is a 90 degree corner. A hundred degrees gives you 5 more degrees per side angle of view. Now visualize the corner of the desk as being the camera location, you have a cone of 50 degrees vision to either side. That's a 40 degree blind spot on either side which is considerable. For a single camera, it is very limited.

The field of view is as important, maybe more important, when backing than going forward, even using a spotter. Most often when backing, you will also be turning. The TV rear view mirrors become less effective. It is imperative that you have as much field of vision as possible with the camera, including seeing the spotter and obstructions (above and below) in the path.

We are using a Boyo license plate camera on our TV as a back up camera. Our 3 mirrors are adequate for rear view vision going forward. That has a 170 degree field of nearly undistorted field of vision. There is only a 5 degree loss of vision between the camera lens and our rear bumper corners. When backing out of a parking stall with vehicle parked to either side, we can see a pedestrian at the bumper of the vehicle next to us. We can see the ground 18" behind the bumper and a clear panorama to the rear.

The trailer camera is a Rear View Camera (RVC) system with a 120 degree field of nearly undistorted vision. The RVC system is used as a rear view "mirror" behind the trailer and is on when traveling. It is our only rear view camera. With this camera, we can see vehicles directly behind as-well-as vehicles in adjoining lanes about two car lengths to the rear. Our side mirrors pick up what is outside that 120 degree cone. Mounted high, we have a blind spot up to 6 ft. behind the trailer and vision at least a 100 yards to the rear.

The rule for making a safe lane change is that if you can see the full front of the vehicle you are passing in your rear view mirror, you can safely make the lane change. The rule with the RVC camera, is if we can see the full front of the vehicle we are passing in the monitor, it is safe to make a lane change. That's why we love this camera. Without it, it was more by guess and by golly.

You are on the right path going for a rear observation camera as opposed to a back up camera. More expensive cameras have better technology and better lenses. Better "fish eye" lenses give you a wide view with limited distortion.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #42

Thanks PenJoe...great feedback. Yeah, I pretty much throw out the ones offered at a discount and there is a site that sniffs out the fake reviews and it had about 60 percent being worthless. That said, there was a youtube video of it in action and it seemed ok.

Your feedback on the field of view is great and I will probably hold off because of that. Backing into the storage garage I would really want to see a little more off to the side. I suppose I might be able to raise it up higher and velcro it. Hmmm....

Sorry, I probably took the thread off topic. I will keep researching. I just really like the idea of a battery operated unit that feeds to the phone.