Old 03-06-2016, 11:54 PM   #31
Originally Posted by TXFolkie View Post
The '14 Silverado LTZ does not have daytime running lights. It has automatic lights. These do not power the trailer's running lights. You have to turn on the headlights manually or wait till it gets dark and the truck turns them on for you for the backup camera to work. I had a '14 Sierra 1500 LTE and now have a '16 2500HD Denail Duramax.

I stumbled onto Amazon one day whern they had the price wrong on the HD Furion and got it for $328. Right now it's $465. So I got the 48 digital model for the price of the 12 analog unit. Sweet. I love it. It gives me a great picture. I use a vent mount made for cell phones to hold the monitor. It is perfect for backing and great for knowing who's behind and next to you. It's money well spent.

Since 1997 all GM vehicles produced for the US have daytime running lights.

2014 Silverado LTZ
2016 Surveyor 285IKDS

2017 Surveyor 285 IKDS
2016 GMC Sierra Denali HD 2500 Duramax
Humteddy2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:00 AM   #32
Originally Posted by Humteddy2 View Post
Since 1997 all GM vehicles produced for the US have daytime running lights.

2014 Silverado LTZ
2016 Surveyor 285IKDS
X2, plus it has been the law in Canada since 1990

2015 GMC Denali 3500 4X4 Duramax
2015 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
grumpyoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:25 AM   #33
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Backup Camera

I have been using a 7" screen "PEAK" back up camera for 5 years on two different RV's. Works great. Comes with license plate mounted camera and transmitter. The receiver screen is 7" that I modified a GPS suction cup windshield mount for the Screen. I wired it to the running lights on my 5th
wheel Rockwood. I put the transmitter under the bed in front of the RV up against the front cap. It transmits through the front cap to the screen that is mounted on the windshield. Works fantastic!

They can be purchased for $112.00 on E-bay.
Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
DAISY BOYKIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:28 AM   #34
I am sitting on the fence as to which backup/observation camera system to purchase. Have read varying reports from some that the Furrion brand is terrible...others say it is OK. I was advised to go with a TadiBrothers brand and must admit that one seems to have the best reviews. I would like to stay with Furrion IF IT WORKS and IF it is worth the price tag since my Flagstaff 831RESS has been prewired for same. I appreciated speedozeke's input. Anyone else have experiences to share on which type to get?
Jobecka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:17 AM   #35
I know alot of you are only interested in wireless, but it really isn't that hard to pull in the cable of a wired camera in a fiver. Pop the clearance lights out, then go from the rear center clearance light to the side clearance light then down to one of the tail lights using fish tape. Drill a hole in the bottom of the rear wall below the tail light and run the wire inside towards one side of the belly again using fish tape. Drill a hole in the lower wall of the front compartment and route the wire above the front compartment and out the pin box next to say your breakaway wire. As for the truck ... mount the monitor between the sunvisors if there is room and route the wire above the headliner, down the back of the cab, and underneath the bed to say above the wheel well. Put your truck plug there. It takes the better part of a Saturday, but the install is out of sight and functional.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #36
Observation Camera vs Backup Camera

Just switched out my Furrion Backup Camera for the Observation model on my 2016 Columbus Fifth Wheel. Even though you can leave your backup on while traveling it is not helpful. The signal will freeze and is not reliable at highway speeds. If you check their website it says it is not intended to be used for that application and is for backup only. The observation camera is the only one that works for rearward viewing while towing. I am very satisfied with the Furrion Observation camera.
drknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #37
Has anyone tried those EsiCam systems on Amazon? I realize most of the reviews are from the Vine program but it seemed like a few were legit. More importantly I looked at a few youtube videos of them in actual use and the lag didn't seem too bad and the resolution was decent. I am a little intrigued by a camera I can use in multiple situations and I like that it could be for observation and backing up.

Obviously I am a little skeptical of the brand.

Is 100 degree spread a bit narrow for reversing?
RPod 183g
2013 F150 FX4 EB
RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #38
Smile Decision made.

I have decided to purchase the Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Backup/Observation camera. I ordered it from Amazon just to save a few bucks. Should be easy to install. I will post a review after I have had a chance to use it in both modes. I might have tried other suggested cameras but I really wanted to mount the unit at the same place as the pre-installed Furrion mount. Call me crazy. Thanks again to everyone that replied to my post. That's what makes this forum so great.
Probwrm19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:53 AM   #39
I am close to making that same decision, Probwrm19. I would prefer to have something I could mount in the prewired Furion bracket which came on my trailer from the factory, but the difference in cost and advertised reliability is what I am pondering. Is your understanding that the difference between the two FOS48 models (the TAPK-BL and the other) is just that the TAPK-BL includes everything (the housing, wiring, connectors, camera and monitor)?
Jobecka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:00 AM   #40
Left Coast
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Have a Garmin GPS?....Use their wireless back-up camera and the same monitor you already have...

Bob/Linda, 99 Dodge 2500 Cummins,2010 8280 Rockwood Ultra-lite 5er, PullRite Superglide----- I'm retired......but work part time as a pain in the ass!........... USMC.
bob caldwell is online now   Reply With Quote