Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2016, 05:05 PM   #1

RV Backup Cameras - What to Buy?

SO confused. Mini Lites now pre-wired for Furrion backup camera but they are expensive compared to other manufacturers, even through Amazon. Need personal reviews of Furrion and others. Suggested sources would also help. Any advice you can offer will be a PLUS. Thanks in advance.
Probwrm19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:33 PM   #2

I would like some info also. We ordered a Surveyor 285 IKDS a month ago and it also has the Furrion mount pre-wired. I've read where the monitor is too small and that the aluminum frame interfere with the wireless signal. Any feedback?

Humteddy
Humteddy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:42 AM   #3

We got the Furrion backup camera. As a backup camera it works great and I have had no issues. Using it as a rear view while traveling has the problem of the sun or headlights bleaching out what you can see in the little screen. As for the signal, we have never lost the connection or had the picture freeze on us which was 1 of the negatives that was listed. Big thing was realizing that the camera pre-wiring was to the lights so you need to have your lights on while using it. Caused a lot of grief while trying to pair the camera to the monitor. Once I realized that the lights had to be on it paired easily, of course that was 2 hours in the hot sun later.
relomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:16 AM   #4

I have the Observation camera and I like it. Most of the complaints are people buying the cheaper back up camera for observation use and not liking the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Pill Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #5

Observation camera. I assume it has a wide angle lense. Is it wireless or hard wired? Can you provide the manufacturer so I can research online. Thanks
Old 03-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #6

My '14 Silverado has daytime driving lights so I assume the camera would be on at all times.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Humteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probwrm19 View Post
Observation camera. I assume it has a wide angle lense. Is it wireless or hard wired? Can you provide the manufacturer so I can research online. Thanks

We are talking about the Furrion mounts that come on the new towables. They are meant for Furrion cameras but probably could be modified like anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Pill Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:23 AM   #8

Daytime running lights only turn the headlights on not all the running lights. This is a problem in Canada as people will drive at night without tail lights.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #9

RV Back up Camera

You need to know the difference from a Furrion Back-up Camera and Observation camera.
The Back up Camera does not have the External Antenna that gives you more range while driving. Using a Back -up camera will cause the picture to pixel distort at times as driving. It works fine not moving done the highway but not for driving. The Observation system has great range and no distortion. I experienced all this first hand . First bought the Back-up and then upgraded to Observation. The Parking light connection works fine on my 2015 Flagstaff 831FKBSS unit to run the camera. I just pull on the parking lights when I want to watch and then off when not needed. AT night I also can just power off the camera when not needed. Very easy to install using the Factory Bracket. I installed the entire unit in less than 15 minutes
speedozeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
Daytime running lights only turn the headlights on not all the running lights. This is a problem in Canada as people will drive at night without tail lights.
This is a problem pretty much everywhere. I run with the headlights in ON position all the time anyway. I want people to see me coming.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #11

What to buy.

Really do appreciate the replies to date. Time for additional research of other manufacturers. Please provide manufacturer, name, and model of the unit you have installed and your review of installation process, signal strength, and camera to monitor clarity. I would prefer to go wireless. Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #12

What to buy.

Really do appreciate the replies to date. Time for additional research of other manufacturers. Please provide manufacturer, name, and model of the unit you have installed and your review of installation process, signal strength, and camera to monitor clarity. I would prefer to go wireless. Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humteddy View Post
My '14 Silverado has daytime driving lights so I assume the camera would be on at all times.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
It needs power to the tail lights. Daytime driving lights do not turn on the tail lights so you would still have to turn on the headlights to power up the camera.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedozeke View Post
You need to know the difference from a Furrion Back-up Camera and Observation camera.
The Back up Camera does not have the External Antenna that gives you more range while driving. Using a Back -up camera will cause the picture to pixel distort at times as driving. It works fine not moving done the highway but not for driving. The Observation system has great range and no distortion. I experienced all this first hand . First bought the Back-up and then upgraded to Observation. The Parking light connection works fine on my 2015 Flagstaff 831FKBSS unit to run the camera. I just pull on the parking lights when I want to watch and then off when not needed. AT night I also can just power off the camera when not needed. Very easy to install using the Factory Bracket. I installed the entire unit in less than 15 minutes
My CC 36CKTS came with the backup camera (I assume). It does have a short antenna but I have the same issue that you state about distorting and cutting in and out. What is the model of the observation camera that you installed?
Old 03-06-2016, 03:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy1967 View Post
This is a problem pretty much everywhere. I run with the headlights in ON position all the time anyway. I want people to see me coming.
Daddy X2. Never too much visibility. Have spent my life driving with headlights on, as well as fog lights. I don't think it is as effective now that everyone has DTR lights because once more you blend into the traffic scenery but it does keep people from driving out in front of you on the highway I believe.

Filterman
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post

GM vehicles headlights are automatic at dark

Humteddy
Humteddy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #17

Quote:
SO confused. Mini Lites now pre-wired for Furrion backup camera but they are expensive compared to other manufacturers, even through Amazon. Need personal reviews of Furrion and others. Suggested sources would also help. Any advice you can offer will be a PLUS. Thanks in advance.
So as not to be confused, two things:
* Furrion is a wireless video transmitted signal to the monitor.However, your Mini Lite is pre-wired for 12 volts powered through the running lights. The Furrion camera has a positive and negative wire for power only.

* Furrion has two rear view camera systems:
One is a back up camera system. The monitor to this system is powered via the TV back up lights. It only operates when the TV is in reverse and the running lights are on.

The second system is a rear view monitoring system that is powered via the TV ignition system. When the running lights are on and the ignition key is on, the rear view camera is on. This system acts as a rear view mirror at the back of the TT. This is the system I would be going for if you use the Furrion. It is on going forward or in reverse as long as the running lights are on.

As for cost, there are no cheap dependable rear view cameras. If you choose to go anything but the Furrion wireless system, hard wired video would be the second choice. But that means completely wiring the TV and the TT which would be much more expensive-and problematic.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Take a look at Rearview Safety for a variety of wireless rear view cameras. I started with the quad camera set up but found the signal kept on dropping out while driving, even though they sent me booster antenna. They subsequently replaced it free of charge for the RVS-2cam. Apparently, this is a more powerful setup but I have yet to try it. By the time I received it the season was over and the RV in storage. Hopefully, in about anther 4 - 6 weeks I should be able to get the 5er out nd connect this new camera to see how it works.
Wireless Systems - Our Products

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #19

I had a Peak backup system on my Jayco and will be installing one on my Wildcat soon,Plus had installed this in two other 5rs as well and have been very happy with them.Now I get the extension cable that puts the transmitter up in the front compartment on drivers side as I put the monitor on the drivers side in lower corner of dash.The cost is around $125.00 so I feel this is not bad at all,having the longest trip at 4200 miles and a friend uses his on his winter trip to Tx and back to Ohio.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:26 PM   #20

Relomas brought up camera glare from the sun and vehicle following you in darkness. This is equivalent to looking through a rear view mirror. If the sun is setting directly behind you or a vehicle in fairly close in darkness there is a glare factor. That goes for rear view mirrors and any rear view cameras. One other factor that can't be prevented is moisture (rain) blurring the picture. As long as the camera is in the elements, that's the way it is. There are way more benefits to having the rear view camera than not.

Hutch333id has mentioned Rear View Safety as an alternative. RVS has a larger monitor available. Personally, we have a RVS hard wired camera system and it is excellent. There is no way that you can get better customer support than from this company.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote