Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2016, 10:31 PM   #1

RV Cover & other storage tips

I live in Central Florida (East Coast - North of Ft. Pierce), am new to the RV world & have recently purchased a 2017 Forest River Sunseeker TS2500 - Class C RV. The RV will be sitting in self storage yard for 1-2 months at a time - is there anything I should know about storage? Should I invest in a cover? Is there a benefit to that? If so , what type/manufacturer is recommended? Does it really protect against the elements (rain, sun, etc.) I noticed that some of the RVs have wheel covers as well - any feedback would be appreciated - Thanks - brmahoney
brmahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:51 AM   #2

Hi,
I have a 5er not a Class C but the storage of your unit should be similar.
1. No food items are left in-side when the unit is in storage.
2. I use Damp-Rid in the camper when in storage for longer periods than two weeks.
3. My trailer tires are driven up on 2X8 boards to keep the tires off of the ground and than covered.
4. Unit is wax twice a year with a product called Wash Wax All; made by Aero Cosmetics. See another thread on this product in the forum.
5. The Refrigerator doors are left open when in storage to keep mold and mildew out.
6. Battery disconnect is activated and key removed.
7. My front stabilizers are down and on 4X4 post up off of the ground. ( N/A for your unit)
8. Propane is turned off at the bottles.
9. All inside shades are closed and the slides are in.
10. Skylights have cushions placed in them to keep the sunlight out. Bathroom skylight is covered with white foam core board and furniture plus bed are covered with sheets.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #3
Insert witty title here

For short term storage between trips:

Dump and rinse waste tanks.
Empty any water in the fresh water tank.
Remove all perishables from the fridge and freezer.
Place small containers of Damprid in the fridge, freezer and bathroom. Place a large one on the kitchen table.
Close all windows.
Turn off the fridge.
Shut off propane at the bottle.
Close slides
Chock the tires.
Plug into a standard 120V outlet to keep the batteries topped off.
Lock all doors and storage compartments.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #4

Invest a few bucks on a roll or Reflectix foil/bubble insulation, available at Lowes.
Cut pieces to fit all your windows and put them inside the window frames, between window and shade. If you cut the pieces right, they'll be snug enough to stay without any tape, velcro, ect.
It will help keep the sun/heat from the interior, by as much as 10-15 degrees, or more. I've had 95 degree days, bright sunlight, and the interior of our Lexi stayed at around 80 degrees.
Stuff rolls up real nice for storage.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:16 PM   #5

Vent covers and keep vents open about half way, tire covers. fitted sun shade for windshield and side windows, mirror and windshield wiper covers, refridge and freezer door holders and after next trip next month I will put a cover on, that I bought before I took delivery and was to lazy to use. I spend more time washing MH when I take it out of storage then it would take me to cover it.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:55 AM   #6

Treat the tires then cover them !!!
I able to,,, I would cover the entire unit,,,
Not a easy job,,, and not a one man job !!!
Reflextix is a great product,,, I made cardboard to fit all windows then covered cardboard with Reflextix !!!
Damp Rid ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:00 AM   #7
Insert witty title here

DampRid is a desiccant. It pulls moisture out of the air keeping the humidity in the camper under control.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 06-24-2016, 07:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
DampRid is a desiccant. It pulls moisture out of the air keeping the humidity in the camper under control.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yes,,, I am guessing that is something that would be needed in Gator Country !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:15 AM   #9
Insert witty title here

They do have to be changed out periodically depending on the humidity.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:05 PM   #10

We store our unit over the winter months with an elements cover purchased from camping world. Just make sure there are no areas where it will wear thru the tyvec top, as its is subject to wind and some movement over the 4- 6 months non camping winter months. All the other suggestions are good but in the Ford manual its recommended to start it up every 2 -3 weeks (sneak in thru the zipper door)and let it go to operating temperature and without moving it put it thru the gears on the automatic. (Some heavy equipment engines are known to seize if not started at times|)
Always fill the tank with gas and add stabilizer, same as I do with my motorcycle.
House batteries are removed and left on a tender over the winter in the basement.
Tires off the ground on plywood.

Brandon2
TS 2500 - 2014
Sun Seeker
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmahoney View Post
Should I invest in a cover? Is there a benefit to that? If so , what type/manufacturer is recommended? Does it really protect against the elements (rain, sun, etc.) I noticed that some of the RVs have wheel covers as well - any feedback would be appreciated - Thanks - brmahoney
I use a cover for my TT, 28' box. The FL sun will destroy anything, as I'm sure you know. I bought a Goldline cover from National Discount Covers for $550 with a 5 year warranty that lasted about 15 months. When I contacted them they replaced it with a new one, no questions asked. They said it should have lasted longer and the remaining warranty will be in effect so if I need one again I can get another replacement.

The best covers are made from Sunbrella material, had one for a boat that was in good shape after 3 years. Not sure exactly how long one would last, the one I found online cost $1000 with a 6 year warranty. Might be cheaper to buy the Goldline and get 3 replacements during the 5 year warranty period. Wheel covers are a must.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:46 AM   #12

I'd be concerned about corrosion from the salty air. Would definitely have a great coat of wax on the unit. Roof vents opened if they have covers and covers on my tires. Your cab Windows either tint the sides and put a shade in the front or shades all around.
Welcome to the RV World. Lots of great state parks to visit down there.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #13
Failure is my business

DampRid. Excellent idea. I like this forum. Fwiw, I picked up a NDC cover for our 32' TT s it sits under some trees in the yard and I really don't want to have to deal with all that junk getting in the stuff on the roof. Love it. It is quite a faff getting it on the first time but if you fold up the sides and then roll to the center it's much easier after that. Just be careful where you step if you get on the roof with it on.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:08 PM   #14

Living in FL is a different case. I've found the humidity level inside the TT is lower if the vents are closed when covered, usually around 50%. Not too impressed with damp rid or the like, probably would need about 10 containers to work. I bought a dehumidifier for the cooler months, not recommended to run one when temp is above 85 or 90 in the TT.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, storage