Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2017, 07:12 PM   #1

RV covers - Yea or Nay?

RV covers - are they worth using?
Our last rv had an issue with black steaks running down fruition the roof. I never was able to get them off (it had aluminum sides.)

Fast forward to new rig.. It's fiberglass and I intend on waxing it.

Should I buy a cover for when I'm not using the camper or will the wax be enough to keep streaking at bay?

I don't mind occasional cleaning if the steaks come off without major effort.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:17 PM   #2

Two words: hell yes. Get the best cover. From experience, it will add years to your roof, seals, appearance.
jeffandrews55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:05 PM   #3
Site Team

Yes
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:08 PM   #4

Yes and no. No, if you keep it inside like I do and yes if it's outside with this caveat... Stand the cover off the roof if the cover is on the unit for an extended time. Use .40 retention 2x4's cross ways to keep the cover and the roof seperated for air movement.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #5
New TT Owner

Not intending to hijack this thread but I've been looking for covers and am in need of your assistance. We live in KY and our new Rockwood Mini Lite is parked at our house in full sun. We get all kinds of weather, wind, humidity, rain, and snow. I'm torn between which cover to purchase and I understand the sun will damage the cover.

What I'd like to know - for those who have used and are currently using covers, which cover did you purchase and why?

I certainly would appreciate any advice you can give me. I am trying to purchase the best cover for our area and situation. The local RV dealers only carry the Aquashed but I've found so many more online and know I'm totally overthinking it. But like others I want to keep our TT looking good as new if possible.

Thanks for your input.
Lovestogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:28 PM   #6

I have been using an Adco cover that I ought 2years ago and didn't start using it about 7 months ago. it's a bit of work but a lot less then the scrubbing I have to do when I take it out of the storage yard. One tip I can give you that I learned after the first time I used it. Put tennis balls on the gutters and awning protrusion, will save you from getting holes.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovestogo View Post
Not intending to hijack this thread but I've been looking for covers and am in need of your assistance. We live in KY and our new Rockwood Mini Lite is parked at our house in full sun. We get all kinds of weather, wind, humidity, rain, and snow. I'm torn between which cover to purchase and I understand the sun will damage the cover.

What I'd like to know - for those who have used and are currently using covers, which cover did you purchase and why?

I certainly would appreciate any advice you can give me. I am trying to purchase the best cover for our area and situation. The local RV dealers only carry the Aquashed but I've found so many more online and know I'm totally overthinking it. But like others I want to keep our TT looking good as new if possible.

Thanks for your input.
I don't think this is a hijack. My next question would have been "which kind"?

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #8

Depends where you live. Here in California the sun damages fiberglass regardless of how much wax you put on. RV's and boats must e covered. Better yet, store it indoors.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:09 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
Depends where you live. Here in California the sun damages fiberglass regardless of how much wax you put on. RV's and boats must e covered. Better yet, store it indoors.
Also California sun kills the decals.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:11 PM   #10

Actually, a cheap Harbor Freight poly tarp works fine so long as you stand it off the roof (like I explained in an earlier post and secure it properly so it don't flap. Flappiing tarps mar the fiberglass sides and destroy the decals..
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:54 PM   #11

This is the first year I didn't cover my 5er, only reason is the wind last spring totally destroyed the ADCO cover I had and it was as tight as can be when I put it on, and I wasn't going to buy a new one because we are trading up this year to a bigger 5er. After seeing what one winter will do to a camper I definitely will buy another cover for my new 5er. Yes it's well worth the money.

2012 Ram 3500 CC Limited Cummins TD
2011 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS ( for sale )
1968 Dodge Coronet R/T
No more shoveling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:01 PM   #12

Back at the beginning of this past winter, many many questions were asked about whether to cover or not and most were directed toward snow problems. So many said "Don't cover, let the wind blow the snow off" or "Use a leaf blower to blow the snow off". Well, it was my assumption that many of these people had never seen a real snow storm or knew that there are many different 'kinds' of snow ~ dry, powder, wet, slushy, etc. Now, if a 40 mph wind won't blow a heavy wet snow off and the temp is supposed to go to -0*F the same night, what chance does a leaf blower have? For me, I looked for a roof top bra like used on a Class A but couldn't find what I wanted. I ended up getting a white polly tarp, just wide enough to cover the awning roll and go over the other side and long enough to slightly cover both ends. I tied the tarp down and as the snow deepened, I was able to gently pull it off about 3 times during the winter without difficulty. It's still on there as of now, easy to remove, we're still having rain and high wind gusts almost daily and have noticed no damage to the siding or decals, very light black streaks most likely before I got it covered. Also, lots of pine & fir tree needles along with leaves, I'll continue to use it.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:26 PM   #13

I love my Sunbrella Calmark cover, it was very expensive though. I had a Chinese cover and the sun deteriorated it in 5 months!

2015 F150 Sport 4x4 3.5 Eco Boost
4B11T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #14

Two year ago, we bought one of the best ADCO covers available. Even though we followed directions by padding the bumper corners, it ripped through in less than a week. We left the cover on for part of the Winter, i.e. before the wind blew it off. True, sharp corners will cut through about any material, but the plastic buckles that attach the straps do not hold under stress. When one gives, they all give. ADCO did replace it under warranty without having to return the damaged cover. We never put the second cover on.

Be warned, even the lightest covers get pretty heavy when trying to stretch it across the roof and down the sides. Even in a breeze, they have a tendency to kite.

If doing it again, I would strongly consider a Sunbrella material. The material is much more substantial and a custom made cover should have better attachments. But then the price will be about 5 times plus the price.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:07 PM   #15
Working at retired:D

FWIW I use an Adco cover when my camper is not in use even with it parked in a barn. Keeps dirt and bird droppings off. If it was left outside in winter I'd cover it. To many water leak stories out there. Although I don't think my cover would stand up well to weather. Probably would have to go to a better material. Does take 2 people to install.

2017 Wildcat 301RES - 2017 Ford F-250
tx333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #16

Don't go with ADCO, they only last a year or so. Elements is much more durable. Buy when on sale at Camping World.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:23 PM   #17

Neither wind, nor rain, nor sleet, nor snow can do the damage ultra-violet rays can. I have had great success with the ADCO cover here in Ohio. BTW, I highly recommend you also cover the tires for the same reason.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:50 PM   #18

Yes we wash and cover after every trip.
WigglesnWooffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:25 PM   #19

I live in southern NM and we also spend a lot of time in southern AZ. Yep, sun does damage your rig, but not as much as any cover we have tried to use. Haven't seen any cover that lasts more than 2 years down here in the desert. And no matter how tight you get the cover, it will leave rub marks.

So we don't think covers are worth the time and money.

Our rig is 6 years old and still looks great. We use a good wax and rubber roof treatment that has UV protection in it. Do the rig twice a year.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:15 AM   #20
New RV Owner

Following
Robspana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover