Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2017, 06:31 PM   #1

RV dealers

Just wondering where people buy your rv from.
Do you go local ?
Or do you go with lowest price. I have some dealers around me. I am willing to travel 150 miles to a dealer. Just wondering about Camping world . and rv wholesalers. Has anyone bought from these two
hoogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:39 PM   #2

How far are you willing to travel when you need service?
merlinhomeauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:55 PM   #3

You will most likely have issues getting your rig fixed at any dealer that did not sell you the unit.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:58 PM   #4
Site Team

Where you buy from depends on a lot of things and is different for each buyer. If you are good at basic repairs and don't take pride in the length of your "punch list" you can consider buying out of your area for a good price. If you are not good at basic repairs and expect every issue to be handled under warranty, buy local if you have a dealer with a good service dept. If the service dept and warranty are important you may have to travel a little to find a dealer with a reliable service dept. If you save enough on the original purchase, you can even cover out of pocket major repairs and be ahead. RV sales are at an all time high and service turnaround even at selling dealers is very long. One solution is to visit a campground in your area and speak to campers to get their thoughts on dealers in the area. Remember if it sounds too good to be true it is. Take your time, research, ask questions here, and try to take the emotion out of your decision. There are many happy owners here so don't be intimidated. Double check everything a salesperson says here.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Where you buy from depends on a lot of things and is different for each buyer. If you are good at basic repairs and don't take pride in the length of your "punch list" you can consider buying out of your area for a good price. If you are not good at basic repairs and expect every issue to be handled under warranty, buy local if you have a dealer with a good service dept. If the service dept and warranty are important you may have to travel a little to find a dealer with a reliable service dept. If you save enough on the original purchase, you can even cover out of pocket major repairs and be ahead. RV sales are at an all time high and service turnaround even at selling dealers is very long. One solution is to visit a campground in your area and speak to campers to get their thoughts on dealers in the area. Remember if it sounds too good to be true it is. Take your time, research, ask questions here, and try to take the emotion out of your decision. There are many happy owners here so don't be intimidated. Double check everything a salesperson says here.
Thanks for the reply. We are going to go to RV shows this fall and winter. We are not going to buy a new rv till spring. We want to go and lokk at campers and see what each dealer has to offer and see what they all say.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:28 PM   #6
Site Team

There are literally hundreds of RVW posts on the Forum, with one of the owners being quite active.

If I wasn't 2500 miles away, they'd be the only dealer I'd buy from.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:34 PM   #7
DW's 401(k) Plan

I bought from a dealer about 70 miles away from me. It started with having service done to a trailer I already owned and worked up to a new trailer and now our motor home. They are thousands of $$$ less than anyone else I checked. Not quite RVW, but I would think they would even give them a run for their money..... pun intended.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:43 PM   #8

Purchased our current unit over three hours away. Only had to go back once for three weeks to fix the fresh water tank. Will buy from them again if they have something we want
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:54 PM   #9

Went from Mo to Hamburg NY at a wholesale Camping world, the only one as of June this year, made a vacation out of it and went to Niagara falls and stopped at several places on the way back saved a ton of cash on our purchase.

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:38 PM   #10
Selective Curmudgeon

We went to a sale at CW in Savannah just to kick some tires. I expected their prices to be way out of line but was surprised at how competitive they appeared to be.

RVW has an excellent reputation and a Service Agreement with many dealers nationwide to get after sales service done if you're not local. Pricing appears to be virtually unbeatable.

RVW doesn't carry the Coachmen product that I've got my eye on, so I checked Holman RV in the Cincinnati area. Their price was so low, my jaw dropped when they got back to me with a quote.

But our plans don't come together until January. We want to do a 'shakedown' week at a nearby (to the dealer) campground after taking delivery. We'll probably pay $2k more than at Holman and buy from Berryland Campers near Baton Rouge where it's warmer... and we can avoid pulling through Atlanta (blech.)

As has been mentioned, everyone's situation is different and price isn't always the deciding factor.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:10 AM   #11

Bought a new RV at a dealer 900 miles from home. Did a 1.5 hr inspection and walk thru. Saved about $10k. Nothing wrong that I couldn't fix myself.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
Bought a new RV at a dealer 900 miles from home. Did a 1.5 hr inspection and walk thru. Saved about $10k. Nothing wrong that I couldn't fix myself.
I am of the same mindset. My friend bought a new motorhome recently at a dealer who is close by. He still has to wait a month to get warranty work done.

I will fix pretty much anything myself unless its a big $$$$ item.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:58 AM   #13

I bought based on value of the new RV. Dealer service (after the sale) had no effect on my purchase because in reading RV forums (and from last experiences) I can fix issues myself better than most dealerships anyway. And it doesn't have to leave my possession for 6 weeks to do it.

If there is something I can't do, then I have a network of friends that can help me get it done.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:02 PM   #14

We traveled 1400 miles to Seguin, TX for ours. Saved roughly $6,000.00 on the purchase. We made a road trip out of it and visited friends in Frisco on the (loong) way home.

I'm pretty handy and would fix most things myself anyway.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #15

Bought ours about 35 miles away. Took it in one time to get a few warranty items fixed. Now that's it's out of warranty will take it to a dealer closer to my work so much closer. They already told me they service my brand RV and would be happy to help with anything. As long as I pay for it of course.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:52 PM   #16

We are going to rv show in sept. going to be six dealers there
Old 08-30-2017, 06:28 PM   #17

We had brought campers from Tom Johnson in Marion NC a little over three hundred miles from my house, got good deals there. Them Camping World brought them out and they are a crock now. I most definitely will never buy from Camping World again, sold me a extended warranty that's not worth the paper it's written on. Never again
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer