Old 04-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #1

RV dealers who don't like money

After reading posts of dealers not wanting to do warranty work because you didn't buy the unit from them. Warranty work money is the same color as non warranty work color---GREEN. Mfg.'s pay for the work to the dealer in a can't lose situation. After mfg's warranty runs out they may have an extended warranty and those policies are just as GREEN. chances of me going back to a dealer who refused me service are nil

Old 04-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #2

Most likely, not the same rate of re-imbursement. If RV dealers are similiar to car mfgs. the amount earned, or allowed to be back charged for service performed, might be less, as is the case in the automobile industry. Just a thought to mull.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddisfly View Post
After reading posts of dealers not wanting to do warranty work because you didn't buy the unit from them. Warranty work money is the same color as non warranty work color---GREEN. Mfg.'s pay for the work to the dealer in a can't lose situation. After mfg's warranty runs out they may have an extended warranty and those policies are just as GREEN. chances of me going back to a dealer who refused me service are nil
I heard that for some warranty work the factory will only approve, for instance, two hours of labor for a job that might realistically take three hours to complete. If that is correct, then warranty money would not be quite as green as non-warranty money.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
I heard that for some warranty work the factory will only approve, for instance, two hours of labor for a job that might realistically take three hours to complete. If that is correct, then warranty money would not be quite as green as non-warranty money.
I think this is the case- the warranty work doesn't always accurately reflect the amount of time spent. When a company sells a new unit, they are making profit with the expectation that they'll have to spend money during the warranty process. When they don't sell the unit, they don't have that money to make up from.

However, I still think it's short-sighted. My warranty will be up eventually and I'll need parts and this won't be the last camper that I ever buy (need to go bigger, of course!). Turn me away now and I'll remember that later.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #5

It's certainly short-sighted not to work on an RV you didn't sell. I'm 100% commission. Whenever my phone rings, and I can make a Client happy, I know that they MIGHT come back to me. I always think of what I'd need to spend on advertising to get the Client to call in the first place, and it ALWAYS make sense to make the Client who already called a happy person, even if I did not get the deal.
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #6

Agreed. Too bad many dealers only look at from a one-dimensional perspective.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #7

With some dealers, I think there is another motive in play. It is a way to discourage buyers from going through the high-volume internet based dealers. If a dealer can't / won't match the price (or come close) they need a way to get people to pay their higher prices.

We've dealt with 3 local dealers, and all three have all the service work they can handle from April to October. All three of them will work on units they didn't sell, but ones they did sell get priority, and you still may have to wait a couple weeks to get work done.

Given that warranty has to be approved by FR, has limits on what they pay, and the shop is already booked - I guess some dealers will trade that work for trying to force buyers to buy from them at higher prices.

Not very customer friendly, and wouldn't make me want to buy there, but knowing you can't get service work on your new rig locally might coerce some buyers into using that dealer over a long-distance discounter.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:20 PM   #8

My service manager told me

Manufacturers only pay for the repair time and not diagnose time which can be lengthy. It was on of the main reasons I purchased as locally as I could so I would have the allegiance of my dealer who never balks at doing my warranty repairs for me. I had 37 items on my punch list after my shake down. I live in AZ. If I purchased the unit from say a dealer in Ohio, who I was communicating with I think it would have been a pain to get the rig fixed. I know FR would step up but it would still be a headache and maybe even a return to factory. Same with my new diesel truck. I live is a small town 80 miles from Phoenix. I could have purchased my truck through Costco at a dealer in Phoenix for $500.00 less than from the dealer in my town, but did the right thing for my town and neighbors. Purchased it where I live. Now have an advocate close by if things go wrong. Just my opinion

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
Fulltime family RVer

Davidceder - on the opposite hand. My second closest dealer that handles the Sabre brand is 140 miles away from me. It's a good 2-3 hour drive to get there and costs me about $100 per round-trip. On top of that, they've proven to be fairly incompetent and caused me at least 1 needless trip, if not 2.

I wish I would have saved the money and relied on other FR-approved dealers/RV techs to deal with the hassle of repairs.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #10

Trust me when I say that the majority of RV owners know what's wrong before they ever take it to the dealer. Had an electrical problem with my Salem and the tech wouldn't believe me when I told the remote module was wired wrong from factory and burnt the relays up. 15 minute job turned into 4 hours. Again told them the awning motor froze up-oh no they won't do that because they are a sealed unit. Uh oh unit froze solid because of bad seals. Most techs worth their salt can solve and repair most problems within the allotted time frame. Whether it be auto or RV dealer they all use charts for time management. That's how to keep them at least semi honest

Tags
dealer