Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2016, 08:12 PM   #1

RV Decal Maintenance

I have a 2015 Wildwood DLX park model with many large decals on it. I plan to keep it for very many years as it is set up on a permanent site.

So many RVs get looking shabby after several years as the decals fade/peel/crack. Has anyone had success in keeping decals in good shape for many years? Obviously covering or keeping indoors would be the best way but this is not possible for me.

I have seen 303 aerospace protectant recommended but as I researched the product it apparently does not last long in outdoor applications and it washes off and can streak from the rain. I was originally thinking that regular coatings with rv wax or polish would be best but have read that this is not recommended for the decals as it can dry out the material they are made from.

Ideas anyone? Does anyone know of a manufacturer recommendation?
Togger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:51 AM   #2

You do not want to use a carnuba based wax on the decals. It is the carnuba in the wax that will eventually dry the decals out.
I use 303, but as you found out, it dosen't last too long on the exterior decals.
Another way to go is with some of the newer synthetic waxes. I have used and prefer Ice by Turtlewax. Goes on and off very easily and will last awhile longer.
Only reason I still use the 303 is that once a month I treat my slideout rubber seals with 303 and just swipe the decals at the same time.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:02 PM   #3

I happen to be in the "decal" business. Most of the graphics that go on RVs, travel trailers, etc, are printed on a huge vinyl printer. Some inks are UV resistant, most are not, and I suppose it depends on the manufacturer's commitment to quality whether or not your decals are printed with UV resistant inks. Decals and graphics can also be laminated with a very thin clear vinyl that is UV resistant, but I bet
that most are not. My suggestion would be to protect them with a vinyl UV protectant spray a few times per year. After a good washing, just spray your graphics with the protectant and it will help keep them from drying out and fading. I get my protectant at a boat shop like Bass Pro, its made to spray on and protect vinyl boat furniture. You might be able to find something similar at an auto parts store, but you should ask for a convertible top proctectant with UV screen. Most all graphic vinyl has a maximum outdoor life of 5 to 7 years, hopefully you can keep yours looking good for a while longer. :-)

Randy
Toyota Tundra pulling Stealth 2313G
Days "camping" in 2016 - 62
RandyRanew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance