Old 05-16-2018, 04:23 PM   #1

RV Industry: On Notice... No More Cr@p!!

Saw this today from the Charlotte Observer. Couple buys their new "retirement home", a $270k Class A Thor motor home. They have had nothing but problems, including as they describe it, "Geysers of Sewage", and hydraulic fluid leaking in to the unit itself. They are suing Thor Industries.

Here's more:

An NC couple is suing their RV's builder over chronic problems | Charlotte Observer

Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Another example of quality issues being a RV manufacturers system-wide issue, not just a brand or price point problem.

All manufacturers, not just FR, have quality issues.
Even the most expensive ones, like this Thor model.

And the chances that a foreign company will start making RVs for the North American market, are slim to none.
So changes will have to come from some other source.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:30 PM   #3
Site Team

How bad does your plumbing have to be messed up to have your sewer backing up into your shower?
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:50 PM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Yes its a shame but it happens to all RV manufactures just got to have a little patience and good phone manners. Sounds like Thor is willing to work with them but I think they blew by hiring legal. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10 gear
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped 2017 62
Days camped 2018 60
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:44 PM   #5

I read the paper and after a month and a half they got cold feet, they wanted there money back.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Yes its a shame but it happens to all RV manufactures just got to have a little patience and good phone manners. Sounds like Thor is willing to work with them but I think they blew by hiring legal. Later RJD

I think the only reason Thor wants to work with them is because they hired a lawyer.
carlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsbad View Post
I think the only reason Thor wants to work with them is because they hired a lawyer.
Yep, that was my inference. Sometimes - but not always - that's what it takes.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:21 PM   #8

Ok I get it, every manufacturer has QC issues somewhere, some have a reputation...., let's leave it at that.
What I don't get is why they are trying to get rid of the MH, is it because they bought a lemon and there is no way to make it work or is it because they found their dream property and started building their dream home on it within months of buying the RV?
Or did they come to realize that the depreciation on the RV is more than they are willing to swallow?

After I read the news article carefully a 2nd time I figured that either the reporter has no clue what he is reporting on or someone is making up a story that doesn't really make sense, "A cloud of diesel fumes pouring into the bedroom from a hydraulic leak" - what??? Then the "daily dose of sewage in the shower" story, how is that even possible when you read carefully, and if there were major plumbing screw ups weren't they fixed under warranty? Or didn't they leave the gray tank open while doing laundry?
I'm curious what the other 158 problems are they have encountered and if this is their 1st RV.

Oh, and the other side of the story because there isn't much left for me to believe on TV, the newspaper and the internet
Old 05-16-2018, 10:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I read the paper and after a month and a half they got cold feet, they wanted there money back.
Rightfully so.. they deserve it back and the extra 100 Grand they are asking for.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Ok I get it, every manufacturer has QC issues somewhere, some have a reputation...., let's leave it at that.
What I don't get is why they are trying to get rid of the MH, is it because they bought a lemon and there is no way to make it work or is it because they found their dream property and started building their dream home on it within months of buying the RV?
Or did they come to realize that the depreciation on the RV is more than they are willing to swallow?

After I read the news article carefully a 2nd time I figured that either the reporter has no clue what he is reporting on or someone is making up a story that doesn't really make sense, "A cloud of diesel fumes pouring into the bedroom from a hydraulic leak" - what??? Then the "daily dose of sewage in the shower" story, how is that even possible when you read carefully, and if there were major plumbing screw ups weren't they fixed under warranty? Or didn't they leave the gray tank open while doing laundry?
I'm curious what the other 158 problems are they have encountered and if this is their 1st RV.

Oh, and the other side of the story because there isn't much left for me to believe on TV, the newspaper and the internet
They say they can't trust it anymore, and after 6 months in repair centers and STILL not fixed completely why wait any longer. Seems they had a dream to travel and this Motorhome destroyed that dream for them.. Its different when you have a unit parked in your driveway with issues, your not counting on it to live in.

ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
for sale, motorhome