Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Crazy About Nature

RV Ladder Bike Rack

I have a 2102 Rockwood Ultralite 8280WS and am trying to figure out the best way to carry our mountain bikes. I have been advised against welding a hitch receiver on an ultralite frame.

I came across these bike racks that hang off the RV ladder and they seem to do the trick. I am interested in a Surco 501br and was wondering if anyone out there has used this rack and what your thoughts were on the quality. Has anyone actually used one on an 8280?? My ladder is mounted on the left hand side and I want to be sure the bikes won't be sticking out past the back of the unit.

Any thoughts and guidance would be appreciated......

2012 Rockwood Ultralite 8280WS
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD "classic"
aaronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
outdoor addict

Not sure what brand it was but we had a ladder mounted rack on our old 5th wheel. Hung the bikes vertically and they did not stick out past the side of the trailer.

Norm
nakerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

I don't have bikes, but if I valued them, I would find some way to put them inside the trailer and out of sight and the elements. An inside rack would not be too difficult to make out of wood.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #4

Camping world?
Jim Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #5

******** ATTENTION R.V. MANUFACTERES********** R.V ers love to ride bikes. Please take into consideration, bike racks are needed to transport bikes. Please take this into consideration when looking for a frame vendor………
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
Always Learning

I've been having these visions of building a very basic bike rack onto the bottom side of the plywood for my dinette seats. When I'm traveling, move the cushions and flip it upside down- prop/setup the bikes on it and secure for travel. When we arrive at our destination, flip it back over and it becomes seating again.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #7

I have the exact same trailer. I have the chairs and dining table, so stowing the bikes there was out of the question. I have purchased a double bike rack on amazon and intend to put it where the recliners sit. I plan to turn the recliners sideways and move them over about 2 feet toward the sofa slide. I have some moving blankets to protect the wall and chairs. The straps to secure the chairs should hold the bikes. I have not tried it yet, but hope it works as an option.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #8

We were putting them in the bedroom on either side of the bed and hooking bungie cords across the bed. I would put movers blankets down to protect the floor and and the bed it worked but, it was a pain. We went camping last weekend and after hooking up the 5ver I noticed there was quite a bit of room in the front part of the bed of my F250. I have a Short Bed but have a sidewinder hitch so I gain about 20". I put the bikes in the bed and secured them with some bungie cords. When I pulled out of the driveway I had the Wife stand outside and see how close the 5ver came to hitting the bikes as I was making a hard turn. She said I had about 12" of clearance. So that is the new spot for the bikes.
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote