Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2015, 02:22 AM   #61
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYE View Post
Try camping next to the Tiki Hut!!!
Nooooo...

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:13 AM   #62
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
Nooooo...
It could be fun!! Especially on Movie Night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11889428_10205929237404175_4871428468980462330_n.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	86110  
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:24 AM   #63
Just a member

Quote:
For sure. Haven't made it yet - still on the bucket list.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:10 AM   #64

We were at Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach in the middle of July where there is no peace and quiet. A lady to my right and behind asked me to turn my music down. I assure you I had it at a moderate volume. I got up and walked over to her site and I could barley hear it but I guess just the fact that they could hear it bothered them so rather than get in a ( ) match with them I turned it off. Later that day I could hear their music but I said nothing. My peace and quiet is listening to my music and sipping on a craft beer but I had to give that up to maintain civility in the CG. It always works both ways and there is always that person. Sometimes you are that person
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:28 AM   #65

I have mixed feeling about this thread because I've been on both sides--the "party site" and the "site that thinks the neighbors are too loud." I guess it depends on the setting. As stated earlier about NASCAR events--if you think you're going to a NASCAR event for a peaceful quiet camping experience, than you have unreasonable expectations--NASCAR is a big drinking party that has an inconvienient race thrown into the middle of it. So don't go to the infield if you're not willing to participate in the revelry, or at least put up with it. (This coming from a guy that does not go to NASCAR events, even though I live 15 miles from the Pocono track, which has the reputation for being the biggest infield party on the circuit.) The same holds true when we do our off-road events at the local off-road park: people go there to wheel, and partying after is almost 2nd nature. We actually set up our campers in a "courtyard" set-up (2 campers parallel and one blocking off the end) to keep the noise inside. I've already walked out into the lot with our party going (music, people talking, laughing, etc) and you can't hear anything. So we do try to be considerate.

Now if I'm in an RV park or CG, then it's way more toned-down, quite time type camping, and I will purposely walk away from my site to make sure the noise isn't noticeable. I think its about having consideration for your neighbors, but also considering your setting. If you're in Rome, you're gonna party like the Romans. But if I'm somewhere with a more resonable expectation of quiet, I'll keep it down, and I have no problem either telling people or being told to keep it down. If the alcohol-drinking people next to you bother you (at least in PA,) you have the option of using PA State Parks, which are (still) alcohol prohibited areas.

Common sense. Rational thought. Rare, I know.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:34 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Congrats on your 1,000th post!
Why thank you, thank you very much. Elvis has left the building, for now!
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:37 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
I have mixed feeling about this thread because I've been on both sides--the "party site" and the "site that thinks the neighbors are too loud." I guess it depends on the setting. As stated earlier about NASCAR events--if you think you're going to a NASCAR event for a peaceful quiet camping experience, than you have unreasonable expectations--NASCAR is a big drinking party that has an inconvienient race thrown into the middle of it. So don't go to the infield if you're not willing to participate in the revelry, or at least put up with it. (This coming from a guy that does not go to NASCAR events, even though I live 15 miles from the Pocono track, which has the reputation for being the biggest infield party on the circuit.) The same holds true when we do our off-road events at the local off-road park: people go there to wheel, and partying after is almost 2nd nature. We actually set up our campers in a "courtyard" set-up (2 campers parallel and one blocking off the end) to keep the noise inside. I've already walked out into the lot with our party going (music, people talking, laughing, etc) and you can't hear anything. So we do try to be considerate.

Now if I'm in an RV park or CG, then it's way more toned-down, quite time type camping, and I will purposely walk away from my site to make sure the noise isn't noticeable. I think its about having consideration for your neighbors, but also considering your setting. If you're in Rome, you're gonna party like the Romans. But if I'm somewhere with a more resonable expectation of quiet, I'll keep it down, and I have no problem either telling people or being told to keep it down. If the alcohol-drinking people next to you bother you (at least in PA,) you have the option of using PA State Parks, which are (still) alcohol prohibited areas.

Common sense. Rational thought. Rare, I know.
X2 - Very well said
'01 Exiss 300MT Weekender

A wife and two dogs, isn't that enough?
rclogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:43 AM   #68

X3
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:49 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNanMinn View Post
. There are laws in most states about leaving pets unattended like that in campers. That can be used as a "tool" for some leverage to get your campground managers to do something too. .
Not to be diasagreeable, but leaving your dogs in a Camper is no different than leaving them in your house in the eyes of the law. If there is some type of neglect such as hot as Hades and no AC that is one thing. But a dog being in the camper is the same as being in your home. Noisey or not

Doesn't take away from the fact that it is rude to your fellow campers
Old 08-19-2015, 08:52 AM   #70
(Dry Huunday)

Yes, well said rclogg!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:57 AM   #71

One things that has been alluded to here but not outright stated is that we humans are all wired differently in terms of our ability to block out noise/distraction. That difference is often at the heart of disagreements about acceptable levels of campground noise, specifically in the borderline cases described in some of the prior posts on this thread.

Example 1: my daughters sleep with a sound machine on. Even on the "white noise" setting (which is supposed to be totally random static), my stupid ears pick up the repeating tones in the sound loop. I then start anticipating them as if they were cannons firing in my campsite, and unless I put earplugs in the rest of my night is spent listening to that $U&@* noise. My OWN SOUND MACHINE is disturbing me - heaven help me if a noisy camper shows up in the next site.

Example 2: Some people can legitimately fall asleep at a rock concert (or at least in an environment that is as loud as one), and can sleep through an amazing amount of noise (thunderstorms, radios, singing, laughter, etc).

Knowing that I am Example 1, I bring earplugs with me, try to avoid holiday weekend camping like the plague, camp at places with quiet time rules that meet my personal expectations, and will only spend 1 night at a place that refuses to enforce said rules.

Now, to the OP's point, a kind/gentle request to the offending party is either sufficiently effective or it isn't. If it isn't, it is up to you on your next course(s) of action. Those next steps have been discussed sufficiently in previous posts.

Brian
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #72

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
I am not sure if they will allow Tiki Huts in Wilmot Township! A Councillor may pass a bylaw about such...
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:13 AM   #73

At this campground camp rules state you can't leave your dog in your RV and leave the campgrounds. I'd also add it was over 100 degrees outside and they did not turn on the air-conditioning. I'm surprised the dog survived. I think management should have broken into the RV or called animal control to do so and take the dog away from the couple. From my perspective Child Protective Services should have taken the kids as well. Perhaps leaving the campgrounds without their dog and kids would have served as a wake up call to take care of your family.
For the record leaving a dog that barks and howls non stop for hours is RUDE whether or not campground rules forbid it.
As mentioned in precious threads we do not take our RV out on
Holiday weekends. Every night we turn on a fan for white noise. It's affective blocking the noise of people checking get out unless there is a loud diseal engine involved.

As noted by Brian people have differing senstivity to noise. Both my wife and I have that senstivity. We also had a neighbor from hell who blasted music in his backyard and was loud 7 nights a week until 2am. After multiple calls to the police and taking the guy to court, he just wouldn't stop. We sold our home and moved to a different neighborhood. To this day I resent the fact that the noise makers get to stay put and make as much noise as they like while they party while those who are disturbed and suffer are the ones expected to move. The reverse should happen. The noise makers should move far away from any neighbors. Those who want peace and quiet should not be the ones forced to move. As noted in previous threads may times there is no place to move or age, health related issues make that move a huge inconvenience.
RickRed52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #74

Send a message via AIM to B and B
This song causes Martians to dispatch. Maybe rude RV Neighbours would just leave.

Slim Whitman Indian Love Call.

Ack ack ack..
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:36 AM   #75
Alleged curmudgeon

My two cents...

As Timex stated back in post #53 above, “Some people just don't have a clue. They live in their own little world. I have always tried to treat others as I would want to be treated. But to some, they don't know they are bothering anybody.”

This is larger than just campground etiquette. For example, en route to campgrounds I often encounter drivers in cars who, when merging onto a 70 mph interstate, fail to speed up to merge in front of my lumbering 60 mph TV&TT. I used to get really irritated assuming they expected me to get over (which I often cannot do safely). Now I realize that, more often than not, they simply are not aware of their surroundings (sometimes due to distraction, but usually merely oblivious).

I have realized that, as we become older, we can either choose to become less agreeable and find fault with literally everyone we encounter, or we can give people the benefit of the doubt and try to get along. The latter approach, which requires that we not demonize others unnecessarily, is the one I try to follow, because it (a) allows me to maintain a smile on my face a larger percentage of the time, and (b) has the added benefit of making my family more likely to want to hang out with me.

I admit, I was formerly much more apt to find my camping neighbors obnoxious than I am today. I now feel that my selfishness was as much to blame as their conduct, however. I was falling into the popular culture's tendency to "take offense" or "play the victim" at every little thing. Now I have come to understand that most people really are not rude intentionally. Rather, as suggested by Timex’s comment above, people often don’t realize they are bothering anybody. Against that backdrop, I try to greet and engage people in campgrounds in a friendly manner, not as enemies but as fellow travelers, and to do so BEFORE I have any “issues” to discuss with them, whenever possible. If an issue later arises, I will go talk to my new friends, which is RARELY necessary. When I do, it is almost always a friendly and agreeable discussion, free of all the preliminary glaring and staring and stomping around that comes with the condemnation approach.

In the end, I don’t want to become the guy who wishes everyone would just go away. Common courtesy and neighborly concern is a two-way street, and passing judgment and demonizing others is the fastest way to escalate troubles. Just my two cents.
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:48 AM   #76
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
This song causes Martians to dispatch. Maybe rude RV Neighbours would just leave.

Slim Whitman Indian Love Call.

Ack ack ack..

Remind me to NEVER camp next door to you!!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #77
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I am not sure if they will allow Tiki Huts in Wilmot Township! A Councillor may pass a bylaw about such...
Ah I see
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:01 AM   #78
Canadian Member

Well said, Lee.

I, too, assume they are not trying to be rude and obnoxious. But, if, after an attempt at a friendly and agreeable discussion, they continue with the behavior, you have to decide to either try to get the "authorities" involved, or leave for another campground.

I probably don't camp nearly as often as the frequent contributors here, but I'm happy to say I've never had a problem with camping neighbors being so loud or rude that I've had to leave. Of course, we also try to avoid long weekends (or any weekends) except at known quiet campgrounds. Radio-free campgrounds in our Provincial Parks are great for peace and quiet.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:24 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
It's sad for me to say, but I didn't enjoy doing what I did because I'm sure others around me might have been disturbed. And I'd bet a dollar, the one's the noise was intended for, weren't disturbed.

I will go on and say that for the most part, I have had campers parked next to me that left or came in during the night or early morning, and I never heard them. They are in the majority of what I consider true campers.
In my case, I was happy, but like I said I was surrounded by the family reunion, so all those in hearing range were the ones up all night screaming yelling and shinning lights into my trailer.
If there were innocents around, I would not have made the noise.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:36 AM   #80

Vern: Your perspective is eloquent and admirable. Couldn't ask for a better neighbor.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote