Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #1

RV Oven

I am appealing to all of the chefs out there who does the cooking while in your RV. Since I don't and have issues boiling water I need some help. My dear wife complains that when she attempts to roast vegetables in our Suburban SCSA3 cooktop/range the oven tends to steam the vegetables rather then roast. Obviously this also is an issue with other types of oven cooking. Has any of you experienced this and what have you done to solve the problem? Thanks for the help. I've heard trying a pizza ceramic plate and ceramic tiles help but am also looking for other ideas.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
Always Learning

Do the pizza stone. That’ll solve the issue.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:44 PM   #3

At home I use an air fryer to roast veggies, cook steak, chicken, fries etc. I’m thinking about bringing it with me on our next trip.
KWhite2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #4

Wow, quick responses, thank you. Where do oyu put your pizza stone in your oven? We'll check out the air fryer.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
Site Team

I'll second ependydad's nomination... although he's a high-rolling big spender. I bought a 13" X 13" (or so) unglazed ceramic tile and double wrapped it with aluminum foil and it solved our issue which, BTW, was burning the bottom of foods and leaving the top not-so-done. IF it cracks (and it probably will - mine did), you take no additional action since the foil holds the 2-3 pieces together.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I'll second ependydad's nomination... although he's a high-rolling big spender. I bought a 13" X 13" (or so) unglazed ceramic tile and double wrapped it with aluminum foil and it solved our issue which, BTW, was burning the bottom of foods and leaving the top not-so-done. IF it cracks (and it probably will - mine did), you take no additional action since the foil holds the 2-3 pieces together.

Hey now. We rescued the pizza stone from the “yard sale” pile the year we got the camper!
Old 03-10-2018, 02:04 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoe1840 View Post
Wow, quick responses, thank you. Where do oyu put your pizza stone in your oven? We'll check out the air fryer.

Directly on the bottom- right above the burner tube.

Post showing the placement

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8646.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	164761
Old 03-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Directly on the bottom- right above the burner tube.

Post showing the placement

Attachment 164761
Those paper plates are gonna burn.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post

My thought exactly! But, then the frig is always full!

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:55 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:

Cool ‘em slow on low. They’re simmer to a perfection.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:47 PM   #11

I had told my buddy to try the pizza stone, when we took his TT deer hunting he had put it on bottom under the burner. Doesn't do much there. Won't mention his nationality.
packrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Naa...

Farenheit 451
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:38 PM   #13

Try not to cover the holes on that shelf. I have to readjust mine before each bake but it works well. An unglazed Terra Cotta tile works well also.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:41 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

How do you all fit a pizza stone in there? On ours, the oven's so small we're lucky if the cheese on the garlic bread doesn't stick to the roof of the oven. It's gotta be only 4" high or so in there. At least on top of the rack.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:44 PM   #15

Look at the picture in post #7. It's not on the rack but the shelf above the burner tube. We don't cook on it, we just use it to distribute heat evenly.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
Look at the picture in post #7. It's not on the rack but the shelf above the burner tube. We don't cook on it, we just use it to distribute heat evenly.
Ok, gotta admit, I kind of just scanned past that earlier. That oven looks huge compared to ours. Ours kind of looks more like this:

The rack pretty much sits right at the burner shelf, and above it is so short I have to turn loaves of Wonder bread on their side to fit because they're taller than they are wide.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Ok, gotta admit, I kind of just scanned past that earlier. That oven looks huge compared to ours. Ours kind of looks more like this:

The rack pretty much sits right at the burner shelf, and above it is so short I have to turn loaves of Wonder bread on their side to fit because they're taller than they are wide.
Wow, I never would have considered our oven "huge" or even "large" or anything but "small".

But I do see how much less space the picture you posted has vs. what we had.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post

My oven is the same as yours, except mine is in the garage floor now! Been having trouble with not being able to light the pilot and keep it on. I separated it from the cooktop and I'm going to put in a drawer for more storage in its place. We didn't use it much anyway! !!
mckirby50 is offline   Reply With Quote