Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2019, 09:25 PM   #1

Rv rental

Just curious if anyone has ever rented out there rv using one of the rental sites like RVshare? I was considering this but a nervous about the possibility of something going really wrong. I would like to talk to somebody who has had some experience with it to see if it is worth it.
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfort View Post
Just curious if anyone has ever rented out there rv using one of the rental sites like RVshare? I was considering this but a nervous about the possibility of something going really wrong. I would like to talk to somebody who has had some experience with it to see if it is worth it.
DO NOT DO IT! Unless you have very deep pockets for repairs and don't care about your RV.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:15 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Been discussed before here.
The consensus was don't do it.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:51 PM   #4

We purchased trailers to rent as a side business. Would not rent our own. That said, we did have friends that were very successful in renting their personal trailer on craigslist (even though their last customer drove the trailer with the awning out, hitting a tree ripping the awning off and then same tree punctured their trailer wall (trailer was subsequently totaled).

I will say that in general, our customers took very good care of our equipment. Most were first timers wanting to try out a popup or travel trailer. Most had very little towing experience. We treated our rentals as if they were our own, they were very well maintained and looked in near new condition when we sold them.

If you are considering renting your own--here are some of the things we experienced that were unsettling to us;
-customer asks if he can use his mom's credit card to pay for the rental on a $15k camper
-customer came to pick up the rental without a hitch receiver (we provided the hitch)
-Customer came to pick up the rental under the influence of who knows what
-Customer turned too soon out of a fuel station getting caught on a cement pylon ripping the back edge of the camper off
-Customers having blow outs on the road (speeding?)
-Customer missing the toilet and soaking the floors/wall
-Damage to the already fragile furniture, stains on cushions
-Scratches, dents interior and exterior
-Roof Damage (hitting tree limbs)
-Bumper torn off
-Blinds ripped off the wall

At the end of the day, we could not make enough money to make it worth the financial liability and stress we experienced.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:12 AM   #5
Always Learning

chaps2018, thanks for posting your first-hand knowledge!
Old 01-23-2019, 04:15 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply. If I was to do it, it would have to be local and delivery only. My rig is 43’ so I don’t trust anyone else to tow it safely. I am close to Disney and could easily rent it and deliver it to fort wilderness. I was just looking to see how many people had done it and looking for both success and horror stories. I rented mine to a friend for a week for business and it got me thinking about how to make money with it.
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:18 PM   #7

Quote:
There are quite a few rv rental co's out there . cruise America, monty's etc i've dealt with both of them and some private people who rent . many times the renters are great the rental companies are not . they rent units damaged and in need of repairs quite often . the road goes both ways on rentals . i would never rent my unit out . if it was parked at a permanent site . then i might consider it . but not if it came to towing or driving the unit.
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:21 PM   #8

I would never.
ejohnson1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:26 PM   #9

No way we would rent our baby
To much can go wrong
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:12 PM   #10

Rv rental

Quote:
...could easily rent it and deliver it...
We recognized there would be folks who didn’t own a tow vehicle and perhaps had no aspirations, so we offered a “white glove service”. We would deliver, setup, provide orientation and at the end of the trip we would pickup, dump, etc. We charged mileage and a delivery fee.

We had several folks use that service and it worked out very well. It provided an opportunity for folks who would not ordinarily be able have the experience...which was our objective. :-)
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:20 PM   #11

On the flip side, I could not pencil out a financial up side to renting someone’s trailer either. My wife and I figured after a weekend of TT rental, campground rental, gas, etc...we might as well stay ata resort hotel with room service and maid service.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote