Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2019, 05:58 PM   #1

RV safe driver course

I was reviewing my annual RV policy with Auto Owners and I read that they offer a discount to those who have completed an RV safe driving course. Has anyone taken one online or in person and would offer recommendations?
Old 04-30-2019, 08:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mch5jdm View Post
I was reviewing my annual RV policy with Auto Owners and I read that they offer a discount to those who have completed an RV safe driving course. Has anyone taken one online or in person and would offer recommendations?
I'd be skeptical of an online RV driving course.
I reckon most RV crashes occur while backing and during low speed operations in confined areas.
And there are many definitions of what an RV is, 5th, TT and a multitude of MH types.
The cost of the course might exceed the savings in your insurance premium.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:24 AM   #3

Good for you for reviewing your insurance policy.

The onus seems to be on the policy holder to be aware of things like discounts and responsibilities of being legal on the road.

When I got my Wildcat I became aware that it was compulsory for me to get an endorsement on my drivers licence due to the weight of the 5th wheel.
This translated to a 30 minute written test and 40 minute driving (w/5th wheel) on the road test.
Without this indorsement I would not be legal.

Without a doubt I believe there are many RV drivers on the road out there that would find their insurance policy void should they be responsible for an accident without proper (driver's) licencing.

I am an advocate for ' RV safe driving driving courses' and assuring you are properly licenced and insured.

It never hurts to refresh and read up on the signs and rules of the road...It's the driver's responsibility to be up-to-date on all the changes.

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:40 AM   #4

Not in my state, maybe over 26,001lbs. I’m nowhere near that
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:45 PM   #5

I learned the hard way. 4 separate incidences. All concerned backing, parking lot negotiation and proper hitching. If I could rewind, I would take a "hands on" course before ever heading out with my big 5er... all PDO, thank goodness. ( and no more Xmas cards from my insurance agent
IICAPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
waybeck2018

Quote:

Auto Owners is a very rigid company with many requirements. I did not notice that you mentioned they provided sources of RV Training courses. And, I can not say I have ever seen one advertised.
If I found one I would be tempted to take the course and ask my DW to also. Good idea I think.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:14 PM   #7

Quote:
My wife and I both took a two day hands on training course when we bought the Wildcat 5th wheel. The instructor met us at an RV park at Joe Pool Lake in Texas. We drove in and out of city traffic, fuel stations, backed up, parked from both sides, blind side was tough at first, and rules of the road towing 38 ft. Even practiced backing for 100 yards in a straight line! We are much more confident now and got a good discount on insurance! Cost $300 for both of us
Vetteman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:40 PM   #8

I have owned RVs for over 35 years and have never heard of an RV safe driving course. Never seen one offered, neither has my local RV dealer.

In our state whether you drive a small car, pull a huge fifth wheel or drive any class of motor home the drivers license is the same. (As long as it is private use not commercial then the 26,001 applies).

Many of the RV accidents I see are because the driver thinks that they car drive and stop the RV like a car. So many fly past exceeding the speed limit too.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetteman71 View Post
My wife and I both took a two day hands on training course when we bought the Wildcat 5th wheel. The instructor met us at an RV park at Joe Pool Lake in Texas. We drove in and out of city traffic, fuel stations, backed up, parked from both sides, blind side was tough at first, and rules of the road towing 38 ft. Even practiced backing for 100 yards in a straight line! We are much more confident now and got a good discount on insurance! Cost $300 for both of us
!!!!! Well worth it!
IICAPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:01 PM   #10
Global Nomad

RV Driving Course

Both my wife and I took an RV driving course through RVSEF. Their website is rvsafety.com. I highly recommend the Course.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:25 PM   #11

My wife took the course, I served as her parking director for our two days, half of which was just backing up and parking----and that part helped both of us.
Driving up to thirty in a huge empty parking lot, and slamming your brakes into a dead stop, gives you a new appreciation for stopping distances, what all could happen in an instant, and how you better have everything secured.
She was already comfortable driving our truck, and now she can do it with the 32 ft. fifth behind.
Anything can happen on the road. If I fell down and fractured something, she could bring us home...and we both feel better for it. If both partners are up to it--it is really worth taking a course and taking care of each other, whether it helps insurance or not. We're in it together--for the long haul.

Long Leaf Piners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:26 PM   #12

If you get to Florida, go to Lazydays. They administer a 2 day RV safe driving course.
RLHAMILTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
Good for you for reviewing your insurance policy.

The onus seems to be on the policy holder to be aware of things like discounts and responsibilities of being legal on the road.

When I got my Wildcat I became aware that it was compulsory for me to get an endorsement on my drivers licence due to the weight of the 5th wheel.
This translated to a 30 minute written test and 40 minute driving (w/5th wheel) on the road test.
Without this indorsement I would not be legal.

Without a doubt I believe there are many RV drivers on the road out there that would find their insurance policy void should they be responsible for an accident without proper (driver's) licencing.

I am an advocate for ' RV safe driving driving courses' and assuring you are properly licenced and insured.

It never hurts to refresh and read up on the signs and rules of the road...It's the driver's responsibility to be up-to-date on all the changes.

Islander

Out of Curiosity. Does that same rule of an endorsement apply to a visitor? Such as someone from USA to Canada?

I think some states in the US require special endorsements to travel with a camper and tow vehicle, others just base it on weight (over 26000 pounds)
Others may answer this question or know more than myself. Just going on what I ahve heard, no hard, true fact.

Thank!
Safe Travels
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:39 PM   #14

Maby U Haul should offer a course which includes loading and tongue weights. On I-95 north mm 41? on way home. Small SUV pulling a small u haul trailer. Noticed a lot of sway. Passed him and others on the fast lane. Looked back only to see him in the median and others scattering on both sides of the highway
He had completely lost control.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:56 PM   #15

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN9XL View Post
Out of Curiosity. Does that same rule of an endorsement apply to a visitor? Such as someone from USA to Canada?

... no, and that's the difference in our 'state' based Licensing and Insurance related requirements and regulation.
Your RESIDENT state, where you have your powered Vehicle licensed/tagged will be the state that decides what regulations/endorsements you must have.
Some states have some, many don't.

But, the interesting thing is that when you cross state lines, your endorsement plays no role in driving in another state... they only require that you have a valid license, period.

So, while some states have certain requirements for RVs, it ONLY applies to those who live there(who reside there, legally) and purchase their tags and licensing there, and ONLY while driving their own RV there. When they leave their own state, none of their endorsements matter anywhere else.
The state's rules also apply to no one else, even those just passing thru with their own RVs, no matter the length, or weight.

Having said all that, it's also doubtful, by most RVrs experience with the authorities, that the authorities don't go looking for 'endorsements' on license, but only will find them, if they even look, when the vehicle is pulled over for other reasons, such as speeding, or because of an accident - though I personally doubt that they care to look even then.

Someone also mentioned an assumption that is very incorrect, about insurance. Insurance claims have nothing to do with your license. Nothing to do with endorsements. Nothing to do with whether you are driving your car, your truck, your tractor, your lawnmower, or your RV, no matter the weight or size.
A claim is a claim, and none will be denied simply because someone says that 'you don't have the endorsement for your state for your RV, therefore your claim could be denied'... that is just bunk, untrue, and shows a lack of knowledge about insurance.
Your insurer doesn't ask if you have any 'endorsements' to your license, no matter what you state may even require, if any. They only require and check that you have a valid license for your state that your are insuring your RV in. If you allow a friend to borrow your car, and they are in an accident, your insurance will still pay the claim, even when someone was driving your car that is not listed on the policy, and may not even have a license at all. You may experience some pain later, such as a premium increase, or a requirement to 'exclude' that driver from your policy, or even a policy non-renewal the next time it comes due, but the claim will still be paid.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:01 PM   #16

as for the 'safe driving course', I've never seen any driver course discount outweigh the cost of taking the course in the first place. I'm a licensed agent. I will say, though, that it doesn't hurt to have the educational experience, but I wouldn't do it 'just' to get a discount on an insurance policy.

By the way, most of these 'discounts' go away if you then have an accident or violation later.

To me, the best way to 'learn' to drive and maneuver a large vehicle, or a tow vehicle with a large long trailer, is to get experience in a very large vacant parking lot, learning what the turning radius of your vehicle is, how to back effectively, and generally getting 'confidence' in how you drive it. Most accident's do happen at low speed, either hitting a gas pump post with your 'tail' while entering or leaving a fuel station, or a similar issue in an rv park or campground while trying to squeeze into sites. I've always said that 'slow' is the way to go - and get out and check, with your own eyeballs, to make sure you can make it.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybeck2018 View Post
Auto Owners is a very rigid company with many requirements. I did not notice that you mentioned they provided sources of RV Training courses. And, I can not say I have ever seen one advertised.
If I found one I would be tempted to take the course and ask my DW to also. Good idea I think.

My apologies, AO doesn’t offer the course but rather a discount if you complete a course. See the policy notification below.

However, I started thinking about it and most likely the discount will not have a break even return for several years. Though a class would be great, the discount is probably just a nice benefit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7273.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	203297
Old 04-30-2019, 07:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
Both my wife and I took an RV driving course through RVSEF. Their website is rvsafety.com. I highly recommend the Course.

Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:51 PM   #19

Mark Whats-His-Name who has the RV 101 website that has information and links to videos on how to do all kinds of things from maintenance to repairs to safety to electrical systems to water system to you pretty much name it, has talked about how helpful taking an RV education training course can be, whether you are a newbie to driving/towing an RV, or if you have been driving/towing an RV for years.

I had a friend who was interested in getting an RV at one point and due to her age (50+) and the fact that she had never towed anything in her life, her insurance company strongly recommended she take a training course in RV driving/safety in order to save on her premiums. She ended up not getting an RV so didn't attend a training course. I started out pulling horses in a trailer and moved to a pop-up camper and now my TT and have never had formal training on towing, but I would take a class if it were somewhere I didn't have to drive 500 miles to get to.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN9XL View Post

I think some states in the US require special endorsements to travel with a camper and tow vehicle, others just base it on weight (over 26000 pounds)
Others may answer this question or know more than myself. Just going on what I ahve heard, no hard, true fact.

Thank!
Safe Travels
Ken9XL....
I can not answer your question, however, as being a visitor IMO I don't think it would apply.
I did hear a story 2nd hand that a fellow was checked in California and did not have a heavy trailer towing licence / endorsement and he was fined, rig impounded and had to come back to Canada to get a (qualified) friend to go with him back to California to get his rig home....in cost him around $3,000.oo in all.

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote