Old 09-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #31
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide5r4fun View Post
We have DirecTV and bring our boxes from home. Started out with SD then switched to HD. HD requires a different dish so it can pick up all 3 satellites. The HD dish is larger, heavier and has a larger diameter mounting post, therefore we had to buy a new tripod to set the dish on. We use a SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) to feed two different TV's and have an additional feed in the basement if we want to watch TV outside. I mounted my power inserter and SWM in the basement so when I'm setting up at the campsite, I connect my satellite cable from the dish to the satellite "in" on the rig and I'm ready to go.

Our experience has been that setting up SD is much easier since you're only hitting one satellite. The in-line signal meter seemed to work pretty good dialing that in. HD is a little more diificult. We have found it easier to bring the box and small tv with us outside and hook directly to the dish to get dialed in, then set up everything inside. We're still working on refining the process and experimenting with a phone app or two to help with hitting the satellites. On our last camping trip it took us about 20 minutes for set up.
We have the same setup. We moved up to the SWM HD system and bought a power inserter and SWM splitter. I got the tripod from George at tv4rv.com. Set up this spring was easy. I found that if you set the tilt at 90 degrees and got a strong signal on the 101 and 103 first and then adjusted the tilt for your current zip code, it was easier to adjust and get the strongest signal.

We just arrived at the Outer Banks and set things up. I searched for the satellite settings at: Dish Pointer

They give the elevation and azimuth settings but they no longer give the tilt. Today when I called Dtv to get the tilt setting, they said that it's now against their rules to take the boxes from the home and put them in the rv. He said it was an FCC policy, but that they have no way to police it. Reading between the lines it's against their policy, but they wink if you take it with you. He said to contact a local installer to get the tilt. I haven't found one yet.

If anyone has another site that gives the tilt info for a specific zip code or knows the tilt setting for the Outer Banks let me know. I set at 70 degrees and we're getting all the channels, but a more specific tilt setting should improve the signal strength.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg View Post
We have the same setup. We moved up to the SWM HD system and bought a power inserter and SWM splitter. I got the tripod from George at tv4rv.com. Set up this spring was easy. I found that if you set the tilt at 90 degrees and got a strong signal on the 101 and 103 first and then adjusted the tilt for your current zip code, it was easier to adjust and get the strongest signal.

We just arrived at the Outer Banks and set things up. I searched for the satellite settings at: Dish Pointer

They give the elevation and azimuth settings but they no longer give the tilt. Today when I called Dtv to get the tilt setting, they said that it's now against their rules to take the boxes from the home and put them in the rv. He said it was an FCC policy, but that they have no way to police it. Reading between the lines it's against their policy, but they wink if you take it with you. He said to contact a local installer to get the tilt. I haven't found one yet.

If anyone has another site that gives the tilt info for a specific zip code or knows the tilt setting for the Outer Banks let me know. I set at 70 degrees and we're getting all the channels, but a more specific tilt setting should improve the signal strength.
We got our tripod from tv4rv.com also. It was a little pricey but it is a quality unit. Thanks for the heads up on DTV changing their policy on tilt settings. The dishpointer.com site discussed here and on another active thread should make finding that info a snap.

Pullrite Superglide 16K Hitch
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #33

directv

i use a directv hd dish they are not hard to aim it takes me about 5 min you aline it the same way as the reg dish you do need at least one reg receiver (not a hd receiver) because the hd receivers no not have the beeper and signal strength i use the tripod they sell at camping world it is important that you level the tripod i use a zinwell 6x 8 multi swithch (part # ms6x8wb-z bought on ebay ) you use this at the dish you plug your leeds from the dish then you can hook up to 8 receivers to the out side of the multi switch i use two hd receivers inside and a reg receiver outside you should get the same local channel that you get at your house each receiver needs it own cable from the multi switch in my rockwood i hook one cable to the satellite one to the cable jacks on the side of the trailer i also pulled the cable connections out behind the tv in the living room took the splitter out going to the bedroom and put a but to but connection so the cable input coming from the input on the side of trailer goes straight to the bedroom put a hd receiver in the closet and use a directv RF remote these remotes do not need to see the receiver

Tags
satellite