Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #1

Question RV Satellite System

I have been told that it is extremely hard to line up satellites on the "regular" dish for Directv (all satellites at same time)on a tripod. Was told only professionals are successful at it. I am also considering Dish network dish(SWM 3LNB) on tripod where I can pick up all satellites with one dish, is it also hard to line up? I am also considering the tailgater or carryout by winegard. Can I get local channels on them and how often are shows on different satellites? I am going back and forth between Kansas (summer) and Arizona (winter). I do not need local channels in Kansas (just regional sports network) but would need local channels in Arizona. Any tips, opinions or ideas? This is our first try at satellite in our RV and DW and I are tired of listening to salesmen. Just wanting honest feedback!! Thanks!
nazrev87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Camper Less Camping

I'm interested to hear others opinions on this...just got me a free Directv dish & thinking of trying out satellite TV in camper...

Old 09-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #3

From what I remember you can align the satellite without a problem. When programming the dish, it will tell you where to point the dish to get the best signal
Old 09-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs2000z View Post
From what I remember you can align the satellite without a problem. When programming the dish, it will tell you where to point the dish to get the best signal
I use a 3LBN direct TV dish. I bring my receiver from home. All you do is bring up the program and put in your zip code to where you are at. Turn on your genesis radio outside speakers, after you set the azimuth and angle on the dish which Direct will tell you from the set up program. Just move it slowly until you hear the beeps get really loud and consistent. Then you are lined up. You will not get more then 1 satellite no matter what you do.( I think it is 101 or 110) If you want local stations raise your antenna and switch back and forth. When you get the best reception make sure you tie the tripod down with bungee cord so it will not move. If you have direct at home with an extra receiver say from a bedroom take that with you. Dish will charge you, Direct will not. Just buy a tripod and a dish, something like 125.00 bucks or so. I got my dish free from an installer he was changeing someones out I stopped when I saw him and he gave me the used one for free, I just had to buy the tripod.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #5

I can't answer about the alignment part as I have the carryout and it does it automatically. But I can answer about local channels. We have Dish network at home, KC area, so our local channels are KC. They are good for about 200 - 300 mile radius. If I travel outside that area, I have a choice; 1 no local channels, 2 get local channels from off air antenna, 3 call dish and have them give me locals from wherever I am (free to switch), 4 subscribe to generic local channels out of I think San Fransisco (for a fee).
I go with option 2 or 1 if 2 doesn't work as 3 or 4 would screw up my locals at home which I have my DVR set for recordings.
I have found I need to get 2 satelites to get regular programing, #110 &#119. Sat #126 seems to be for premium channels.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #6

With a little practice, lining up a dish gets really easy. My first try was not pretty, but now it's 5 minute job. My wife watches the TV screen for the strength of signal, as I adjust the dish. We stay in contact with radios when doing this. All that said, I have seen quite a few campers with the "Tailgater" who absolutely love it when used in conjunction with the DISH Network. They just point it in the general direction of the 3 sats, and the critter automatically finds everything for you. As for the Winegard Carry Out, I have one of those. It only gets one sat, and is a bit hard to aim. I don't use it anymore, and have now gone with a 3LNB dish that is on a pole attached to my RV ladder with adjustable pipe clamps.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #7

Michael, it sounds like you don't have any Sat service currently (at home for instance), so are free to choose either.

It is easy to align Dish.

It is easy to align DirecTV as long as you don't want Hi-Def TV (and personally, I wouldn't be happy without Hi-Def). (I think it is possible to align DirecTV for HD, but not nearly as easy.)

You would want to buy a Sat meter to make the job easier, such as this: Triplett SatAlign

(Note that this meter does not work for HD satellites on DirecTV, but works for everything on Dish.)

BTW, the SWM term is something that refers to DirecTV only.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I use a 3LBN direct TV dish. I bring my receiver from home. All you do is bring up the program and put in your zip code to where you are at. Turn on your genesis radio outside speakers, after you set the azimuth and angle on the dish which Direct will tell you from the set up program. Just move it slowly until you hear the beeps get really loud and consistent. Then you are lined up. You will not get more then 1 satellite no matter what you do.( I think it is 101 or 110) If you want local stations raise your antenna and switch back and forth. When you get the best reception make sure you tie the tripod down with bungee cord so it will not move. If you have direct at home with an extra receiver say from a bedroom take that with you. Dish will charge you, Direct will not. Just buy a tripod and a dish, something like 125.00 bucks or so. I got my dish free from an installer he was changeing someones out I stopped when I saw him and he gave me the used one for free, I just had to buy the tripod.....
If you have a 3-LNB dish, you should be getting three Sats. I have no problem at all doing that with Dish.

Dish does not charge you to take a receiver from home. (How would they know even if you thought they were going to charge you?)
Old 09-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #9

Michael, you also asked how often shows were on the same Sat. That normally doesn't matter because its all transparent to you. (The one time it does matter is if you buy a Winegard Carryout which will allow you to connect up two receivers but requires that what you want to watch on the second receiver be on the same Sat as the primary receiver's show.) If you have your own dish, you can connect up anything you want with few restrictions.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #10

It's not rocket science but can easily configure if you know what youare doing and why. If you stay in the general area of home its really easy because your LAT and LONG doesn''t change much.

Now if you are travelling around the country it can become difficult.

I used to do the manual dish for DISH Network but after travelling around the country it was just not worth my while. It sets up by zip code and takes about 5 minites to align.

I decided to buy a DISH Network Tailgater for two reason.
1. Automatic SAT alignment
2. DISH Netwsork is the only SAT comppany that has a " Pay As You Go" program that is month to month for RVers and no contracts. You do pay upfront for what you want and it is a few dollars more than at home.

The Tailgater will only work with a VIP 211k receiver because it also supplies power to the LNB and motor using the same coax. No seperate power lines to run. It can only be used with DISH Network.

I place this on the roof of my motorhome and secure it up there.
You can see it on the roof while I was down in the Florida Keys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dish_tailgater_pr.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	39354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4752.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	39355  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #11

I have the Tailgater with Dish service at home. I take my receiver from home with me, hook it up point it South and turn it on. Tailgater finds sats, no extra fees to pay (so far anyway, perhaps because I haven't been far enough away from home yet 50 to 60 miles is all).
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
If you have a 3-LNB dish, you should be getting three Sats. I have no problem at all doing that with Dish.

Dish does not charge you to take a receiver from home. (How would they know even if you thought they were going to charge you?)
Barry, that is what I have been told they know when you enter the zip code. If you are getting all 3 sats then you should be getting local channels for the area. I highly doubt if you are getting 3 stats. If you are then when you run the program it will give you the strength of each one. As always I could be wrong, but I have not seen it camping, by talking to both dish and direct people. I'm glad you are then you do not need to use your antenna to get the locals. It also depends on your location and distance. I could be wrong Barry and it would not be the first time. I am also talking about a dish that is on your house..........

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #13

We have Directv at home and a receiver with a dish/tripod in the camper as well. Hubby usually has it set up and hooked up in a short time. Only downfall is if there are a lot of trees in the direction he needs to point the dish.
Just Jammin 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jammin 14 View Post
We have Directv at home and a receiver with a dish/tripod in the camper as well. Hubby usually has it set up and hooked up in a short time. Only downfall is if there are a lot of trees in the direction he needs to point the dish.
Do you get HD or only SD?
Old 09-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Barry, that is what I have been told they know when you enter the zip code. If you are getting all 3 sats then you should be getting local channels for the area. I highly doubt if you are getting 3 stats. If you are then when you run the program it will give you the strength of each one. As always I could be wrong, but I have not seen it camping, by talking to both dish and direct people. I'm glad you are then you do not need to use your antenna to get the locals. It also depends on your location and distance. I could be wrong Barry and it would not be the first time. I am also talking about a dish that is on your house..........
The Tailgater get SAT 110, 119 and 129 and we get 3 seperate signal strengths. 110 and 119 is close together and you can get both at once. If you want HD or the new downloads such as the TV guide it switchs to SAT 129 then moves back
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #16

I have a Winegard ANSER and DirecTV. I set it on a tripod, point the coax connections to the north, set the elevation according to a map that comes with the ANSER, and the ANSER does the rest. I leave a window open so I can hear the TV when the satellite is located. (I bought a signal meter but that it's one of those cases where technology is more pain than help.)

I use one of my home receivers and get all the channels I get at home including HBO, Showtime, and the NYC "locals."
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #17

I have a VuQube (similar to Tailgater). I use to try to aim the dish on a tripod, what a huge PITA. There were normally to models for aiming the dish, either simple and easy, or hours trying to get a signal. With the VuQube, you carry it out, point the handle south, connect the coaxial cable, go inside tune the dish in and watch TV.

I just pay the $10 per month to have two receivers in the camper and not have to worry with taking receivers from the house every time we leave. You can turn them on in the spring and off in the winter at no charge.

We have always received our home local channels. Personally, I would prefer to get the local channels of where we are staying, but home channels are OK.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #18

BarryD0706 - Double checked with Hubby - only SD.

Directv is good. We cut that receiver off in the winter when we're not using it. Re-activate it in the spring for camping season.
Just Jammin 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #19

i have the tailgator. works well from South Dakota and south. had problems in Montana.
the carry out didn't have any problem. looks like the carry out is more sensitive.
both receive get all three sats and i do get HD. also paid for the DVR upgrade ($40 one time).
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #20

This may be a silly question, but with the DVR upgrade, will it allow you to watch one show while you record another even if they are on different sat?? In KC my regional sports channel is Fox Midwest, when I go to AZ will I still be able to get their regional sports channel, like Fox sports AZ?? Everyone here is giving great information and I really do appreciate it very much!
nazrev87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite