Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2015, 01:59 AM   #21

Wireless Trailer Security

I saw that someone mentioned a wireless alarm system. I was wondering around "E-BAY" and I found an inexpensive motion detector / infrared alarm. It has a loud screeching alarm and flashing strobe light that can be activated and shut off with a wireless key-fob remote.
If the gizmo goes off it makes a lot of noise and the flashing strobe light makes it an attention getter which is not what the bad guys want. As we all know it will only keep out an honest thief but it does make the bad guys want to look for an easier target.
With it being portable I can move it around to get the best coverage of the doors and windows and then put it away out of the way of things when it's not being used. the key-fob on/off works from outside the trailer so I not setting it off trying to beat the clock of opening the door and getting to it before it goes off annoying my neighbor.
There were several types listed to give you some options for your particular situation.

Chris
Chrisser is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2015, 04:19 AM   #22
Wait till next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeeking View Post
Guns, dogs . . . be careful folks (and I say that as someone with a CCP). Make sure you have a very good umbrella policy and are prepared to make lots of trips to the location (venue) you are visiting.

Unless lives are at stake better to rely on good locks, good lighting, and your insurance policy when it comes to simple property damage.

An emotional topic that needs to be approached with a cool head.
x2
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2015, 07:15 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty59 View Post
We changed all the cam locks on our outside storage compartments as our one & only security measure so far to protect the RV contents. Our entrance door has a dead bolt lock already...although I'm not sure it's worth much. For personal protection, I keep a hunting knife handy (wanted to bring a handgun or a machete but the DW vetoed those as we usually have too many grandkids around). Will probably add some cheap contact alarms to the doors sometime soon too.

We are headed to Canada later this year & since firearms are a no-no but bear spray is a must we are going to get some of this: Amazon.com : Combo Pack! Guard Alaska® 9 oz. Bear Pepper Spray Repellant w/ Holster & Secure® Max Strength OC Pepper Spray - 4-Year Shelf Life Guarantee : Bear Protection : Sports & Outdoors

Figure if it will stop or slow a bear then it should also work on humans if need be! The small canister should also be easy to carry along or keep in the car.

A tazer or stun gun might be another option...

I think we have restrictions on the kinds of bear repellent allowed as well. Be sure to double check the regulations before you buy, just to make sure it's on the approved list.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-20-2015, 07:47 AM   #24

Biggest thing not to do is leave a lot of things outside that a thief can see and attract them, generators,bicycles fancy, grills. Most thieves are not going to go into a full campground and steal things, too many people watching. Getting to know your campground neighbors also helps, by stepping up and offering to help them when they arrive creates a bond that will have them looking out for you. Most thieves will tell you where there is opportunity there is a score. Be aware of your surroundings, lone camper in off season in an empty park you might as well paint a target on your trailer saying free stuff. The signs people have that say things like greetings from Smith and Wesson attract criminals, this tells them there is a good score (guns and things worth protecting).
It all comes down to keep your campsite low key and you should be fine.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:22 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty59 View Post
(wanted to bring a handgun or a machete but the DW vetoed those as we usually have too many grandkids around).
You can buy a small locking pistol case for less than $30 that would keep the grandkids away from them.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2015, 04:23 PM   #26
GLCM Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
You can buy a small locking pistol case for less than $30 that would keep the grandkids away from them.
You don't have to convince me...but you can always help convince the DW!
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #27
psribbens

Break-in No-entry

Long story shorter, last summer (2015) in St Louis Arch area, parked RV on the street. Returned after Arch viewing to see curious individual approach, and then open passenger door. I yelled and perp left the area in accomplices car. So retrospectively we would park in a watched lot, when in town, and am looking hard at Robot Check
which at about $260 and $10 a month seems reasonable compromise between Guardian Systems at ~$700+~$70/month monitoring
Guardian Systems - Online Store
and a simple PIR motion alarm system.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:43 AM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by pribbens View Post
Long story shorter, last summer (2015) in St Louis Arch area, parked RV on the street. Returned after Arch viewing to see curious individual approach, and then open passenger door...
You don't lock the doors?
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2016, 09:42 AM   #29
psribbens

...as I watched, I wondered how I was to explain to DW that I forgot to lock the doors. Fortunately, a good Samaritan watched the entire operation from behind, perp used a large flat blade screwdriver on driver door to open lock, then, circled around back to step into passenger door, where I happen to see him. (good Samaritan hung in there for the police report, kudos, and wouldn't give name or accept reward, so you meet some nice, and some awful people--thumbs up to the nice ones) So I was broken into, and not entered, just by luck. We store in a locked, surveillanced storage facility, and now will be looking into security options for summer travel. So I do try to lock the doors, and mostly do.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:27 AM   #30

Lefty, I presume you've done due diligence on having bear spray in Canada.
They expect you to declare it and also to have a reason for bringing it (e.g. hiking in bear country). We've done this a couple years in a row traveling to Waterton for hiking. Beautiful place. Enjoy your trip!

Canada (excerpt)

Carrying bear spray in public, without justification, may also lead to charges under the Criminal Code.[43]