Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2017, 09:36 PM   #1

RV Specific GPS vs. Co-Pilot RV App vs. Google

Trying to narrow down the best choice for GPS for our Class C. Using Google on our smartphones would certainly be the easiest, cheapest way to go. Reading about the Co-Pilot App, sounds like it has nice features but many complaints that the maps are not current. I like the Garmin and Rand McNally RV specific GPS units though they are pricey. Have folks found that the RV specific units are that much better than just using Google on smartphones? The only thing that seems like it might be good to have would be entering your unit dimensions so you can arrange a route around potential obstructions. Appreciate any feedback!
donkro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:43 PM   #2

I use my phone the truck GPS and Copilot. If they don't agree, I then try to figure why.

Has been a good process so far.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:22 AM   #3

I use my Rand McNally GPS all of the time when we are pulling the 5er. In the 10 years that we have pulled a 5er. I have had three different GPS the first one was a Garmin. This was ok but could not get lifetime maps when we purchase this in 2007. I than switched to the Rand McNally units with life time maps. I am now on my second unit bought new in 2017, this spring.

In my case I have never been lead a stray when using my Rand McNally GPS unit. What I like about this unit is I can input the following information for the truck and trailer: Length, Weight, Axles, Height, number of propane tanks, type of RV (5th wheel) and set my max towing speed. You can also put in your preference for highways such as no toll roads or interstates, dirt roads, ferries and so forth. The Rand McNally also provides information on Banks, Service stations, Hospitals, Police stations, restaurants, shopping and so forth. To me it is will worth the cost of the unit.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
Sunseeker 2400MBW

[QUOTE=BuzzWolfAR;1690639]I use my phone the truck GPS and Copilot. If they don't agree, I then try to figure why.

Has been a good process so far.[/QUOTE

Our MH isn't so huge so we use a standard automobile Garmin GPS. Mine was *STOLEN!!!* from my car, so we replaced it with another Garmin only with a 6 inch screen.
Also we replaced the Jensen Navigation/radio in the MH with a Car Play radio that uses Apple Maps. I prefer Google Maps so we use all 3 and Waze between the 2 of us and if they don't agree, we do what you said.

The Rand McNally doesn't look too expensive at all, I just assumed it would be spendy because it's for a RV. If something happens to this Garmin I think I will look at those.
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:39 AM   #5

Instead of a RV specific GPS go to your local truck stop and look at the truck units. Got mine at a truck stop and it also has RV format. Their great for inputing things like length, height, and weight and have some other features you might find to your advantage.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

I used to use a Garmin car GPS and then added my phone using Google when smart phones became the thing. I now use a Garmin RV GPS which has my overall length, weight and height in it. We use this to navigate from point A to B and will use the Google maps to find food, fuel and others along the route. We have not had an issue since...

The Car GPS would take us to low bridges, weight restricted roads and take "short cuts" not really meant for trailers. My parents have a Jensen stereo with GPS in their Sunseeker. In the FR wisdom, it is just a car GPS in the class C so it is always taking them to the low underpasses and roads that they cannot go down.

EDIT: As an add, it does have a car mode as well for when you are not towing.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:43 PM   #7

We bought a Rand McNally RV-specific unit after our Garmin Nuvi tried to take us up a death-trap road going into Yosemite from the west. Once caution when setting it up after updating: make sure you set it for "fastest route" rather than "shortest;" DW still hasn't forgiven me for last year when I insisted that the GPS was right, right up to the point it led us to a closed dirt road under construction. An Ah Ha! moment with a 2X4 dent in my head.
jrmartin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:53 PM   #8

I first had a Magellan RV unit, when it went bad during a trip I stopped at the nearest Camping World and bought the Rand McNally unit. I like the Rand McNally much better. So much so that I have never even opened the box containing the replacement Magellan sent me two years ago.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkro View Post
Trying to narrow down the best choice for GPS for our Class C. Using Google on our smartphones would certainly be the easiest, cheapest way to go. Reading about the Co-Pilot App, sounds like it has nice features but many complaints that the maps are not current. I like the Garmin and Rand McNally RV specific GPS units though they are pricey. Have folks found that the RV specific units are that much better than just using Google on smartphones? The only thing that seems like it might be good to have would be entering your unit dimensions so you can arrange a route around potential obstructions. Appreciate any feedback!
I use both the Garmin RV760 and the CoPilot RV app. CoPilot just released an update to the North America maps about a week ago or so. I usually run them both at the same time (with the sound turned off on one) as a "reality check", since they often come up with different things. As far as RV-specific routing goes, I usually prefer the CoPilot. The Garmin has definitely suggested some rather dicey routes. The CoPilot does too, but not as often. The other nice feature of the CoPilot is that you can setup a route, download it to your phone and the CoPilot will actually follow the route. I have never been able to get my Garmin to follow a predetermined route. In terms of usability and user interface, the Garmin is much better. GPS devices are helpful, but regardless of which one you use, you often need to take what they tell you with a large grain of salt. It's best to plan your route in advance and have a paper atlas or maps "just in case". Only you can decide when the GPS is telling you nonsense.
Mark Ulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkro View Post
Co Pilot has failed me a few times. So have the Good Sam/Rand McNally and others.

Waze is far superior but will lead you to roads not suitable for RVs if it decides to route you around traffic delays.

I have an unproven theory that success with GPS may be affected by the region of the country you are in. Especially when routing for RVs. They seem to screw up with the many railroad underpasses in the mid-Atlantic and where there is a confluence of numerous roads.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #11

I have a Garmin RV 760LMT. The dezl models are truck specific, and have some different features from the RV model, at a lower price. However, the basics are the same. So if you don't need it to show you where RV-specific repairs, or campsites are, then go with the dezl. Prices $200-400.

There is also a very good smartphone app, SmartTruckRoute II. You configure your length, width, and weight and does a good job of keeping you within the road parameters for it. It is based on Google maps, so is updated quite often. You can add POIs (truck stops, gas stations, rest areas, walmart, etc.). It is extremely customizable. It has car and truck modes. I like this app very much. However, if you are in an area without good cell coverage, it can become problematic (slow and not as responsive to changes like wrong turns). Price about $50 per year, depending on length of subscription.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:38 PM   #12

I use a garmin and like to have the copilot RV on the tablet running at the same time with the route. Great thing about copilot is, it does not use data. All the maps and POI's are loaded on your device. I have gotten so used to using the speedometer on the garmin that I get excited when she takes to long to find a POI. So she can use copilot to find POI's. Then of course she has to use her smartphone and gas buddy app to find the best price. Gas buddy has saved us a bunch of money.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #13

Have and use the Rand McNally RVND7710 although they improved the screen brightness on new units, I have a visor so the 7710 is great. Keeping it updated is the most important, next is putting the right information about your RV and setting your preferences. So far after 4 years still very satisfied, bridge height, hills and speed limits are right on.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:35 PM   #14

2015 I bought a Garmin RV 660 but last year we were not able to take TT on a long trip to really test. In 2015 we took a trip with some friends and I was using a cell phone app. Lost cell service during one leg so we then lost the use of the GPS app. Not good that is when I decided to buy the Garmin.
This coming spring I will hook up the Garmin camera. Mediocre reviews but got it for a great price.
Good luck with your decision.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #15

I use Garmin RV 760 and paper maps. I mostly use the maps to check my route for the next day. I like my Garmin but I like to know about where I’m going the next day.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #16

I bought the Garmin RV760 and I suggest you get something else until Garmin fixes the routing.

I really like some of the features such as telling you about turns well ahead, usually 1 1/2 mile ahead so when towing a large 5th wheel so you have plenty of time to get in the correct lane. I like the larger screen. It also warns you of speed limit changes, school zones and many other selectable warnings. Garmin appears to have some of the best maps available so I'm not sure exactly why the routing is so lousy if you are not on the interstate system or major highways, back roads seem to confuse it and that is where most of the best campgrounds (state parks, etc.) are.

My issue is that it will send you down some really small dicey roads, dirt roads, etc. and then tell you it does not have RV route information after you make the turn. You can select roads that you want to avoid but it basically ignores thar. I've tried reducing my rig size just to get good route info but that does not seem to work.

I now use a paper map to get a basic idea of the route but it is aggravating to pay good money for something so unreliable. I also have a Garmin Nuvi that I really like but having 2 devices on the windshield it just too much.

If you do get the Garmin just be willing to accept it's inherent problem with routing and enjoy it's other great features.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Rango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
I use my phone the truck GPS and Copilot. If they don't agree, I then try to figure why.

Has been a good process so far.
Your age and where you fall on the technology stage is a factor. I've watched my adult children and adult grandchildren with their phone nav apps and am not impressed. I use two Rand McNally RV GPSs that I update before each trip. They often don't agree so I have to make a quick executive decision sometimes but I like the information at hand that they give me. At 75 I am not ashamed of having extra help.
Kuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #18
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
I bought the Garmin RV760 and I suggest you get something else until Garmin fixes the routing.

I really like some of the features such as telling you about turns well ahead, usually 1 1/2 mile ahead so when towing a large 5th wheel so you have plenty of time to get in the correct lane. I like the larger screen. It also warns you of speed limit changes, school zones and many other selectable warnings. Garmin appears to have some of the best maps available so I'm not sure exactly why the routing is so lousy if you are not on the interstate system or major highways, back roads seem to confuse it and that is where most of the best campgrounds (state parks, etc.) are.

My issue is that it will send you down some really small dicey roads, dirt roads, etc. and then tell you it does not have RV route information after you make the turn. You can select roads that you want to avoid but it basically ignores thar. I've tried reducing my rig size just to get good route info but that does not seem to work.

I now use a paper map to get a basic idea of the route but it is aggravating to pay good money for something so unreliable. I also have a Garmin Nuvi that I really like but having 2 devices on the windshield it just too much.

If you do get the Garmin just be willing to accept it's inherent problem with routing and enjoy it's other great features.
Is your GPSr up to date? Never had that issue. There was an update a few months back to the maps and such.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:43 PM   #19

What brand and model do you have. There are numerous choices.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:13 PM   #20

Oh yes ... my GPS is up to date and as for my ability, I'm an EE and recently retired from working on the control and data acquisition on large utility grade solar plants and wind farms so I really don't think that the technology is a far reach for me. As for what brand and model, what I have is a Garmin RV 760LM and I've looked at every possible nav option that is available in the options menu.

As a Grand Father, I do believe that my grand kids are above average (in the words of Garrison Keillor and better looking than most) and they can beat the pants off me on any of the most simple video games.

Now I have to admit that I do live in the deep south and we do have a lot of rural and dirt roads but the paved roads are marked differently on the paper maps I use.

I'm just saying I love some features but routing is really bad if you get off of the well beaten path.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Rango is offline   Reply With Quote