Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #1

RV storage

I have been told that when storing my RV over the winter I should not have the wheeels in contact with the ground. Is this true

Rockwood ultra lite 2440ws
2014 Toyota Tundra 4wd v8 5.7
reese hitch
reese revolution on rv
Bose04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:26 PM   #2
llr

I put mine on blocks of wood just to keep it from sinking in too deep. There are many different opinions on this.
Prior TT 2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS Classic Ultra lite - SOLD 5/21
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #3

Never heard of such a thing.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:40 PM   #4

Some tire manufacturers suggest getting the weight off the tires. I try to do the same when I can. Both my boats are stored with tires off the ground.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:41 PM   #5

Don't know if it does any good, but when I put mine back in storage I back it over 2 2x12's. Keeps the tires off the ground. Always have the jacks in the up position. If you look at others stored, they get put up in all type of conditions.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:42 PM   #6

I just park mine in Florida for the winter, and cover the tires. My BIL parks his in a heated shop, jacks it up and deflates the tires. This is after a thorough wash and wax.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:35 AM   #7
Insert witty title here

Slides in. Tires inflated to max pressure. Camper completely emptied. Damp Rid and mouse prevention placed through out the inside. Water lines filled with antifreeze. Batteries removed. Stabilizer jacks up. Camper covered. Pout until Spring.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:41 AM   #8

You'll see a hundred different ways people store there trailers. I'm on concrete and I treat the tires and put covers on. I cover the trailer also. Live in the Midwest.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:05 AM   #9
Insert witty title here

Forgot to mention that ours is parked on gravel.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Slides in. Tires inflated to max pressure. Camper completely emptied. Damp Rid and mouse prevention placed through out the inside. Water lines filled with antifreeze. Batteries removed. Stabilizer jacks up. Camper covered. Pout until Spring.

Love it! Especially the pouting part. Imight haw to "test" the thermal pkg out this winter tho
Bdlnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:49 PM   #11

My storage is under cover with a gravel floor. I back the TT on 2x12 boards the keep the gravel from bruising the tires.
Fishtexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:06 PM   #12

I have heard the same thing that keeping the tires on the ground contribute to rot.
I personally store mine on our concrete drive way.
I cover the tires to stop the UV rot.
My current 5er we just took on a trip for 3900 miles with the factory china tires and they still look good.
This year we put about 8K miles on them, last year we put close to 12K on them and stored the same way last winter.
Plan on using them next year again because of the lack of wear.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:59 AM   #13
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
"Pout until Spring"....Ain't that the truth!
I've stored TT's and now my MH on gravel... No problems. There was a time I just left my TT in the asphalt driveway... Still no problem.
Until someone provides me with proof otherwise, I will continue to do what I've been doing.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:19 AM   #14

Park mine on broken concrete slabs that were free from a home reno store. I have never lifted my trailer off the ground so the tires dont touch. Also cover them from the sun.

Heard direct contact with the dirt ground is what can create premature rot
spidey1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #15

I've read recommendations from the tire manufacturers that say don't store on concrete. True gravel is okay, but crushed concrete is not. I suspect it is because the lime in the concrete will degrade the tires. If on concrete, put a board or strip of plywood under the tires. Recommendations was to fill tires to recommended pressure plus up to 25% (assure rims can support pressure). Putting covers over the tires to block UV is a good idea if stored for longer periods. If possible, move the trailer a bit if stored for more than 3 months to avoid getting a flat spot, though that will usually disappear after a few miles of towing.
If you decide to get the weight off the tires, follow manufacturers recommendations on where and how to jack the trailer up. Doing it wrong can damage axles.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I've read recommendations from the tire manufacturers that say don't store on concrete. True gravel is okay, but crushed concrete is not. I suspect it is because the lime in the concrete will degrade the tires. If on concrete, put a board or strip of plywood under the tires. Recommendations was to fill tires to recommended pressure plus up to 25% (assure rims can support pressure). Putting covers over the tires to block UV is a good idea if stored for longer periods. If possible, move the trailer a bit if stored for more than 3 months to avoid getting a flat spot, though that will usually disappear after a few miles of towing.
If you decide to get the weight off the tires, follow manufacturers recommendations on where and how to jack the trailer up. Doing it wrong can damage axles.
I think many have said, its all personal preference really. I would never go through the pain in the ass of moving my trailer every 3 months. I never have in 18 years, and never will. Have never seen or noticed flat spots.

But all depends on the person, my father in law would. But he's super anal (as in he has a protective rubber mat over his truck bed liner, so he doesn't scratch the liner) Im surprised he doesn't have a rubber mat over he rubber mat so that mat doesn't get scratched

I just finished winterizing mine, and its a full day for all I do, including the cleaning of the awning and conditioning/cleaning the rubber roof.

Some put of their stabilizer jacks, I leave mine down, and angle the trailer so water runs off. I dont cover it since I live out of the city and in a windy area that would probably destroy a cover anyway.

I also blow out the water in the lines using an air compressor, and put in RV antifreeze. Some only do one or the other, but once again, Ive never had a cracked line, so why fix whats not broken.

I do enough to take care of it, and if something bad happens to it, not much more I can do. I already have water damage on a rear slide on the outer skin, all due to a manufacturer defect. Such is life
Old 09-20-2017, 10:44 AM   #17

How Long?

How long are you guys storing your units that this is really an issue? The longest mine is in storage has been 2 months and it stayed on gravel. I treat the tires but I don't cover them. Now, granted I have only been doing this for 1.5 years but I really can't envision a period of storage time longer than 2 months. The normal time between outings is just a matter of weeks. I have a trailer cover and used it last year but it seemed to be more trouble than it was worth. It may never come out again

Marty
Old 09-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martsing View Post
How long are you guys storing your units that this is really an issue? The longest mine is in storage has been 2 months and it stayed on gravel. I treat the tires but I don't cover them. Now, granted I have only been doing this for 1.5 years but I really can't envision a period of storage time longer than 2 months. The normal time between outings is just a matter of weeks. I have a trailer cover and used it last year but it seemed to be more trouble than it was worth. It may never come out again

Marty
Well mine in theory sits unused for 11 months a year since we only camp in the summer because of our jobs, and we go for about a month. We would like to go more, but only so much time in the summer.

I winterize it in September and get it ready in May, although we dont camp until July.

Saying that, I have never really had a tire issue storing it on straight ground, or concrete.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:10 AM   #19

I use transporter to transport my RV.
GloriaCessna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:15 PM   #20

I live in the hills of Western MA and from mid October to end of April we can have freezing temps. I have no interest in Winter camping.

Rockwood ultra lite 2440ws
2014 Toyota Tundra 4wd v8 5.7
reese hitch
reese revolution on rv
Bose04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage