Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2016, 10:12 PM   #1

Question Rv washer/dryer ?

Do you think a washer / dryer mounted in your RV is worth the weight and loss of space? Would like to hear opinions. We had hookups in our last trailer but never used them. Do not have them presently, for retirement planning are they worth it?
cphubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphubert View Post
Do you think a washer / dryer mounted in your RV is worth the weight and loss of space? Would like to hear opinions. We had hookups in our last trailer but never used them. Do not have them presently, for retirement planning are they worth it?
If you are going to full-time in your RV, I would think they might be worth it, but for the still-working-and-take-the-RV-out-on-a-weekend family, probably not, IMO.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:39 AM   #3

We have them in our 5 the wheel and the wife loves not having to haul everything to the laundromat, really come in handy when taking grandkids with us.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
If you are going to full-time in your RV, I would think they might be worth it, but for the still-working-and-take-the-RV-out-on-a-weekend family, probably not, IMO.
X2
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:10 AM   #5

I would love to have one in mine if I could afford the space. I thinks it's a personal choice but do have to say, it beats carrying clean , dry laundry back to my rig in the rain like I had to last time
Auntielo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphubert View Post
I had Splendide combination unit in a previous RV and found it to be both expensive and nearly useless. It was ok if you were going to do a load pretty much every day but otherwise the load size was very small and the combined wash / dry time was pretty long. And, oh yeah, it was wicked expensive.

Maybe the separate washer / dryer models would do better, but that's even more space.

Dave
Old 01-09-2016, 06:26 AM   #7

Rv washer/dryer ?

Your question is similar to the Ford, Chev, Dodge question. Just comes down to a personal choice.

We love ours wouldn't do without them. We have the separate W/D.
Also we use them as clothes hampers for the soiled clothes.

Russell e
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:01 AM   #8

Our first time we traveled all summer we spent close to $65 doing laundry, only once did we have to find one outside where e camped( at the FROG rally). The next unit we are looking at getting the separate w/d as have not heard good things on the combo one, so I would agree that it is more of a personal choice then a economical one.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:29 AM   #9

We had the domestic one in our last fifth wheel and it worked great. We are host at a lake for the Corps of Engineers and no laundry mat available. Our new motorhome has the splendide vented version and it works great. We come in from doing work in the flower beds and through our jeans and shirts in and wash them right away. Just have to do a little bit each day for the rest of the clothes.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:54 AM   #10

We have (and regularly use) a vented Splendide combo. We find it extremely helpful. We've found ourselves needing to pack less because of the convenience. The unit is smaller so naturally you'll do more loads. We generally run a load a day. It'll accept our family of four's clothes from the previous day in one load. When we return from our active day our clothes are clean and dry for the next day.

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:06 AM   #11

I agree with others that have stated it depends on how much you will be using your camper. We went to the Grand Canyon last year for two month. Did not have a washer/dryer then so we had to go out to clean clothes. This took time away from us touring the GC. But we purchased a new Splendide vented combo shortly after we returned. we are now looking forward to going on longer trips without having to worry about hunting up a facility. This also give us more time to see the sites while we are at each location. But be aware you will be doing smaller loads and it is best to use the unit with full hooks. As several have said we just wash clothes more often but it is better to be able to watch tv or just set outside (depending on weather) while the clothes are being cleaned. We like the vented combo because you just set both cycles and then wait.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:46 AM   #12

It is a personal choice as others have said depends on how much your need is if you full time or have young children along maybe yes, For us it would be a waste of $ since in 30 years of camping we have needed to use a laundromat maybe 5 times.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:32 AM   #13

For us, it's a convenience as opposed to a necessity. Could we just do all the laundry when we get home? Sure. We have plenty of clean clothes each trip to make it to the end. However, we find ourselves doing small touch up loads all the time just because we can and have actually found that at sites without full hookups, we miss being able to run it.

All that said, if you are looking at the Splendide combo units, here's a tip. The vented requires the obvious vent to be cut into the trailer. However, taking that extra step allows for larger loads, faster wash/dry time, and a much less wrinkled end result. The Splendide ventless that we have works great but by the nature of how it drys, it leaves the clothes very wrinkled upon completion of the dry cycle. Not the end of the world if you're just doing a load of unmentionables but if you plan to throw a button down shirt and your favorite jeans through, get ready for some serious ironing time when it's done doing it's thing....

Another tip is on detergent. When it says use a maximum of 1 tablespoon per load, listen... I guessed at the right amount figuring a little extra couldn't hurt and it threw the washer all out of sorts. It played hell with it's 8 million sensors and was filling with water on the dry cycle. I even brought it an hour away from home to the nearest warranty repair guy who found nothing wrong. Brought it back, put it back in the RV, and finally figured out it was because I used too much detergent. Using a 1 TBSP measuring spoon from the kitchen has cured it and it now works as advertised. I would have never guessed it could be that sensitive but based on what the repair guy told me, the Splendide's have nothing in common with a household washer dryer and any number of things being only slightly off will wreak havoc with their litany of sensors.
Karl4Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:29 PM   #14

Thanks for the reply's, learned a few things and a few good idea's may be very well worth the space never though of using it for a hamper to boot. My smarter half says she wants one in the next unit for retirement travel, I was not keen on the proposal thinking it would drive us back to a larger 5th wheel, I would hate to give up the truck bed and canoe rack again.
cphubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #15

We have Whirlpool washer and dryer in our fiver. We stay at Wind Creek SP throughout the summer and their laundry sucks. Wive got tired of waiting to use there equipment and spend hours using it. Best money we spent and will take them to our next unit. Happy wife, happy life.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:15 PM   #16

I would be happy add one but no place for one in our Forester.

Forester 2451s
Old 01-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #17

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1452453375.367134.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	97581
Always a way--where there's a will there a way!!

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Attachment 97581
Always a way--where there's a will there a way!!

Russell

Well that would be an option!

Forester 2451s