Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2018, 10:58 PM   #1

RV washing tips & tricks

We keep our RV in storage, and can’t wash there. We can bring it home, park it on the street in front of our house and wash it, and then tow it back to storage. As much as I like washing my vehicles, it is a bit of a hassle, especially before a camping trip. I like my set up clean and shiny before we head out for adventure, but would like to know if there are better ways.

How do you all keep your rigs clean? If you don’t have your rig at ho e or have HOA issues, how do you work around them? I know there are mobile guys, but paying hundreds for each wash is not my style. Thanks to all who reply.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:56 PM   #2
2012 Solera

Just had ours washed at a “Truck Wash” that advertised RV washes in Fernley Nevada (near Reno). Seemed part of a Pilot station. About $45 including a Rain-X treatment. Believe the Rain-X added about $10. Four guys with long (semi size) wands and brushes worked on it for 15 or 20 minutes. No dry. Not perfect, but quite reasonable. Motor home looks a lot better than it did before the wash (we had just gone to Ft Collins CO and back via Wyoming,driving through a lot of slush on the roads).
I’ve regularly seen signs for “Truck Wash” places while we have traveled; first time I’ve tried one. I’ll probably use more frequently going forward.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:39 AM   #3

My storage facility is not near water or a truck wash.
I use Bow to Stern, a product for fiberglass boats. It’s a polymer, not a wax. I just spray, wipe with paper towels.
I like this because I can use it in storage or in a campsite.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
We keep our RV in storage, and can’t wash there. We can bring it home, park it on the street in front of our house and wash it, and then tow it back to storage. As much as I like washing my vehicles, it is a bit of a hassle, especially before a camping trip. I like my set up clean and shiny before we head out for adventure, but would like to know if there are better ways.

How do you all keep your rigs clean? If you don’t have your rig at ho e or have HOA issues, how do you work around them? I know there are mobile guys, but paying hundreds for each wash is not my style. Thanks to all who reply.
We got lucky with a car wash in front of the storage space; has an rv bay with raised platforms on both sides. Maybe there is a similar car wash facility in your area.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:47 PM   #5

Just like you say I take it out of storage and bring it home and wash in my driveway using my pressure wash on low pressure and use Thetford Wash and Wax. around $200 will get you a decent pressure washer and look at all the money you'll save instead of going to a truck wash
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:50 PM   #6

I have my Motorhome at home. No HOA, town only requires to be behind fence which I have. So I wash and wax at home myself. I plan to try a truck wash when we go to Florida this month. Good Luck!
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 03:17 PM   #7

Our HOA covenants say that you can have an RV at the house for 3 nights. I regularly exceed that, but I am able to back the rig up the driveway, and it's almost out of sight unless you pass right in front of the house. We are a small neighborhood, and kind of live and let live. I also talked with our immediate neighbors and made sure that they had no objection. That said, we are thinking about finding a house with a bit of land so we could keep the RV at home and under cover.

I wash ours with the same thing I use on the cars, Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax. I use a Thetford product and sponge mop to clean the EPDM roof twice a year. I also wax it at last once a year, and the front cap more often than that.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:20 PM   #8

For between real washings, I clean my trailer with either Aero Wash / Wax All or Meguiar's Ultimate Waterless Wash & Wax. Both are spray on to a dry surface and then wipe clean. I think Meguiar's does a slightly better job, Aero is a bit lower cost, especially if you buy it by the gallon. Unless you rig is really dirty, either will get it looking good.

Aero has a cleaning pole that is very effective and easy to use.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:37 PM   #9

I use a Shurflow RV pump connected to a tank which I put in the back of my truck. The pump is powered from the trailer socket on the truck. When I wash the roof of my trailer the flow and pressure is comparable to a city water hookup. I used a Yeti cooler for a tank to test this setup and now I have a 50 gal. plastic tank on order. Total cost was $300 vs. $250 for one wash job by a service . The nearest truck wash to me is 40 mi. away and I can’t turn my rig around on my street so washing at home isn’t an option. The other benefit of this setup is being able to fill the fresh water tank with it.

2015 GMC Sierra 1500
2013 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:54 PM   #10
Site Team

I do not recommend a pressure washer unless you or the wash facility is experienced with its use. Incorrect use of a pressure washer can easily remove decals and lift caulk and sealant. This is especially true of commercial ( truck ) washes as generally the washer is not operated by the most experienced person at the facility. There are some good truck /RV wash facilities, but you should not assume they all are OK.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:00 PM   #11

Aero Wash / Wax .
We bought the kit and use quite often. Does a great job for as easy as it is to use. The pole in the kit is really a great tool.
HAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:25 PM   #12
jkoenig24

Blue Beacon Truck Wash does RVs. BB is a nationwide chain. I've taken my DX3 through several times and have always been happy with the results. BB charges ~ $50 (give or take $10) for RVs. There's an iOS App for Blue Beacon. All the BB locations I've seen are just off major highways at or near truck stops.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:06 PM   #13

Aero Wash Wax for us. Use it twice a year in the storage lot. No water needed. Takes about four hours to clean a 35' TT.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudston View Post
I use a Shurflow RV pump connected to a tank which I put in the back of my truck. The pump is powered from the trailer socket on the truck. When I wash the roof of my trailer the flow and pressure is comparable to a city water hookup. I used a Yeti cooler for a tank to test this setup and now I have a 50 gal. plastic tank on order. Total cost was $300 vs. $250 for one wash job by a service . The nearest truck wash to me is 40 mi. away and I can’t turn my rig around on my street so washing at home isn’t an option. The other benefit of this setup is being able to fill the fresh water tank with it.
That sounds like a great set up thanks for sharing
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:16 PM   #15

Thank you

Lots of great ideas here! This is why this forum is so good. Thanks
Old 12-31-2018, 06:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
Aero Wash Wax for us. Use it twice a year in the storage lot. No water needed. Takes about four hours to clean a 35' TT.
It so easy, I do mine about every two months. Love them.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:40 PM   #17

Quote:

Pull it in front of the house on the street. Whip out the old pressure washer and clean one side, front and back on low pressure. Hop in the rig and make the block to turn the trailer around for a wash on the other side. Once back at the storage facility we windex the windows. Takes about an hour!
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
It so easy, I do mine about every two months. Love them.
I pretty sure I will be trying this in the storage yard. I just have to remember to bring my ladder.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:48 PM   #19

Quote:
I pretty sure I will be trying this in the storage yard. I just have to remember to bring my ladder.
Aero Cosmetics sells a kit that includes a terrific pole the extends. Expensive, but very good quality. You may want to get one of their kits. Check out the videos at their website. You can get most of their stuff on Amazon.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
Aero Cosmetics sells a kit that includes a terrific pole the extends. Expensive, but very good quality. You may want to get one of their kits. Check out the videos at their website. You can get most of their stuff on Amazon.
Wish I could edit, but I never use a ladder. Their pole does all I need. Only time I ever use a ladder is for the roof, and then I use younger people to go up there.