Old 11-18-2015, 02:58 PM   #11
I think that there is a third solution out there. TomTom 1605 model is for RV use. Can also be configured for driving with or without the RV and includes the RV size be entered to keep entering a low bridge or tunnels. Has worked pretty well for me thus far without the big price of the other brands/models mentioned here.

Robert & Wendy M
5er: 2016 Columbus 320RS - TV: 2015 F250 6.7L V8 Diesel
Part-timer; Looking forward to fulltime...
Medic97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #12
Talking GPS

The Good Sam Rand McNally is the only way to go.

2011 Coachmen Sportscoach Crosscountry

flovern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:06 PM   #13
Send a message via MSN to PHILIPHD Send a message via Skype™ to PHILIPHD
Garmin RV 760LMT

Originally Posted by MichaelDStark View Post
I'd like to see some opinions on Navigation Devices or Applications. Does anyone have anything good to say about either of these that are actually designed for RV'ers? I mean, who in this forum has been brought down roads that are clearly not RV friendly? (Bumpy) Who in here has been forced to turn around because their RV will not go under an overpass? What are some good Navigation Options?
I have a 2015 Georgetown 378XL that came equipped with its own in dash GPS system. I also have the Garmin which I purchased and I love it. It has lifetime updates for free which is way better than any system that you have to pay for to update. And yes this thing will keep you on roads meant for the size of your RV.
PHILIPHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:08 PM   #14
I use a Cobra HD 8500 bought at a Loves on sale for $250. It's a truckers GPS. It has worked great.
jheacox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:20 PM   #15
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
The Good Sam model is a Rand McNally. There are differences among all of them, but there are at least two things that are important IMO: It needs to specifically state that it's for RVs. Secondly, look for the label "LMT". That indicates "lifetime maps and traffic" updates for as long as you own it. (Maps are generally updated quarterly.) The "traffic" feature gives you real-time notices about congestion, construction and may offer alternate routing. Together, the LMT features are going to make the unit cost more, but in the long run, they are well worth it.
As both a Good Sam member and a park owner/partner I was very surprised to find out that being listed in the Good Sam database for the GPS units and the published guide requires a payment by the park. We have found many nice parks that weren't listed or contained in the database. Just my 2 cents
Camper John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #16
There is NO "perfect" GPS (yet). I use Copilot software on my iPad & iPhone. I've tried Magellan, Garmin, Waze, and others. Several years ago, I basically wasted almost $400 on the Rand McNally 7710RVND. Camping World was taking pre-orders early October for delivery a month later. One month went to about four months. When the 7710RVND finally arrived, it was a HUGE disappointment. Bad hardware, bad software and terrible interface with my Mac laptop. In my current RV, Forest River used a radio/entertainment/GPS system that had installed Rand McNally 720 already installed. Some improvement over the 7710RVND but, I would have preferred ANYONE else's software.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:02 PM   #17
I am in the market for a good GPS because the Garmin NUVI 1390LMT that I had bit the dust shortly after I did an update on it. I liked how the Garmin works but it is now a paperweight because apparently Garmin considers a lifetime a few years and other than supplying you a rebuilt unit at considerable cost, they will not do anything else. Check out reviews about their updates before buying. It is stopping me from getting a new one.
TSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:35 PM   #18
I checked with Camping World for the Good Sam Rand McNally GPS with LMT and could not find any. They have LM only. We have tried all kinds of GPS and for RVing, we find the Garmin 760RV LMT. It has lifetime maps and lifetime traffic. It can change from RV to regular vehicle. It is also voice activated and has many features that are exclusively for RVs - RV friendly roads, low bridges, etc. Love the 760. Best for RVs.
Marcel & Jenne
Kemptville, ON
2014 Rockwood 8282WS
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:41 PM   #19
What a great thread! I didn't know that they had GPS's specifically for RV's. I already have one Garmin used for trail riding so I can ride alone offroading and not get lost. Looks like I'm going to get another. Our new ride has GPS already but I don't know if it's an RV type.
Bud Ezekiel H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:41 PM   #20
Garmin dezi 560

We bought the Garmin dezi 560 several years ago and love it. Yes it takes me down the wrong road rarely. But we can put our measurements in it and it has never taken be us under a bridge too low or over a bridge not rated for our weight. It has an "RV" mode and "Truck" mode but doesn't seem to differentiate between roads prohibited to commercial trucks and okay for RVs sometimes. We've been to Alaska and back with it and most of the lower 48. I like the 5" screen and have it mounted on the windshield just to the left of the rear view mirror so I don't have to look down.

StoneyG is online now   Reply With Quote