Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2015, 08:25 PM   #1
ImGoneCamping

RV'ers Navigation Device or App

I'd like to see some opinions on Navigation Devices or Applications. Does anyone have anything good to say about either of these that are actually designed for RV'ers? I mean, who in this forum has been brought down roads that are clearly not RV friendly? (Bumpy) Who in here has been forced to turn around because their RV will not go under an overpass? What are some good Navigation Options?
MichaelDStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:28 AM   #2

I swear y the Rand McNally RV GPS my unit is out of date now. They do over newer models with the features. Buy the unit with lifetime maps which are updated yearly. The unit allows you to plug in the height with and weight of your trailer, it also wants to know how many propane tanks are on board. I have never had an issue with being routed incorrectly when towing the trailer. I can switch between Truck/trailer and car. It is a 7" screen with day night time usage. But I also use paper maps to see if I agree with the route.

There are POI;such as campgrounds, fueling stations, banks, shopping and landmarks for some of the items on the unit.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #3

We love our Rand McNally Navi!

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 5.7L 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W WindJammer
Husky Centerline WDH
ov845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:05 AM   #4

Michael,

There are several threads that discuss the pros & cons of Smartphone/Tablet apps & RV GPS - try a forum search for a more exhaustive discussion.

Short answer is there are only 2 games in town for the serious RV'er: The Rand McNally GPS and The Garmin RV760 LMT. Both allow you to input your Rig's specifications and will actively route you around low overpasses, switchbacks, and weight restricted roads.

We have the Garmin and it works great - not sure about the Rand McNally, but the Garmin comes with free lifetime map updates.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #5

We are using the Copilot app and think it works pretty good. You can choose type of transportation, car, bike, bus, walk and even RV(you can add height of RV). All maps are stored on your device so no data connection is needed to us it. Maps are updated for free and what seems to be a fairly regular basis.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #6

I also like the CoPilot App, but would like it much better if it listed truck stops like Loves and Pilot/Flying J
statdoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:39 PM   #7

Rand McNally RV GPS has lifetime maps only for the original purchasers of the unit. So beware of buying used.

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 5.7L 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W WindJammer
Husky Centerline WDH
ov845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:13 PM   #8

Which GPS?

I've had two questions that fit into this string. To avoid confusion I'll ask only one of them here. Which would you prefer, the Camping World Good Sam RV GPS or the Magellan? Both are side by side in the CW catalog and I can't tell the difference. Or should we consider the Rand McNalley GPS?
Richbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:39 PM   #9

I tried the Rand McNally and did not like it. One positive is that it allowed WiFi access directly without cables. I didn't like how it mounted to the windshield mount. It took two hands to slide it on and take it off. I used it about three weeks and it gave me wrong directions several times going between home and work.

I then got the Garmin. I like how you can remove and reinstall the unit with one hand. It doesn't have WiFi directly. You have to plug the unit into your computer to upload new maps, etc. I just returned from a 15k trip to Alaska and used the Garmin 100%. Three misdirections: Twice down gravel roads about 10 ft wide. Both times I was able to find a spot to turn around. Both CG'S mentioned that ALL GPS'S have similar problems finding them. The third time I had stopped for gas and the GPS wanted to send me back where I had just come from. Even trying to start over it was trying to send me backwards. After going about 10 miles in the right direction, it got me back on track.

I am going to notify garmin of the problems and maybe they'll include the corrections in a future update.
johng4706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:16 PM   #10

The Good Sam model is a Rand McNally. There are differences among all of them, but there are at least two things that are important IMO: It needs to specifically state that it's for RVs. Secondly, look for the label "LMT". That indicates "lifetime maps and traffic" updates for as long as you own it. (Maps are generally updated quarterly.) The "traffic" feature gives you real-time notices about congestion, construction and may offer alternate routing. Together, the LMT features are going to make the unit cost more, but in the long run, they are well worth it.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #11

I think that there is a third solution out there. TomTom 1605 model is for RV use. Can also be configured for driving with or without the RV and includes the RV size be entered to keep entering a low bridge or tunnels. Has worked pretty well for me thus far without the big price of the other brands/models mentioned here.
Medic97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:49 PM   #12
Flovern

Talking GPS

The Good Sam Rand McNally is the only way to go.

Floyd
2011 Coachmen Sportscoach Crosscountry
flovern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:06 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to PHILIPHD Send a message via Skype™ to PHILIPHD
Garmin RV 760LMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDStark View Post
I'd like to see some opinions on Navigation Devices or Applications. Does anyone have anything good to say about either of these that are actually designed for RV'ers? I mean, who in this forum has been brought down roads that are clearly not RV friendly? (Bumpy) Who in here has been forced to turn around because their RV will not go under an overpass? What are some good Navigation Options?
I have a 2015 Georgetown 378XL that came equipped with its own in dash GPS system. I also have the Garmin which I purchased and I love it. It has lifetime updates for free which is way better than any system that you have to pay for to update. And yes this thing will keep you on roads meant for the size of your RV.
PHILIPHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:08 PM   #14

I use a Cobra HD 8500 bought at a Loves on sale for $250. It's a truckers GPS. It has worked great.
jheacox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
The Good Sam model is a Rand McNally. There are differences among all of them, but there are at least two things that are important IMO: It needs to specifically state that it's for RVs. Secondly, look for the label "LMT". That indicates "lifetime maps and traffic" updates for as long as you own it. (Maps are generally updated quarterly.) The "traffic" feature gives you real-time notices about congestion, construction and may offer alternate routing. Together, the LMT features are going to make the unit cost more, but in the long run, they are well worth it.
As both a Good Sam member and a park owner/partner I was very surprised to find out that being listed in the Good Sam database for the GPS units and the published guide requires a payment by the park. We have found many nice parks that weren't listed or contained in the database. Just my 2 cents
Camper John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:34 PM   #16
jkoenig24

There is NO "perfect" GPS (yet). I use Copilot software on my iPad & iPhone. I've tried Magellan, Garmin, Waze, and others. Several years ago, I basically wasted almost $400 on the Rand McNally 7710RVND. Camping World was taking pre-orders early October for delivery a month later. One month went to about four months. When the 7710RVND finally arrived, it was a HUGE disappointment. Bad hardware, bad software and terrible interface with my Mac laptop. In my current RV, Forest River used a radio/entertainment/GPS system that had installed Rand McNally 720 already installed. Some improvement over the 7710RVND but, I would have preferred ANYONE else's software.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:02 PM   #17

I am in the market for a good GPS because the Garmin NUVI 1390LMT that I had bit the dust shortly after I did an update on it. I liked how the Garmin works but it is now a paperweight because apparently Garmin considers a lifetime a few years and other than supplying you a rebuilt unit at considerable cost, they will not do anything else. Check out reviews about their updates before buying. It is stopping me from getting a new one.
TSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:35 PM   #18

I checked with Camping World for the Good Sam Rand McNally GPS with LMT and could not find any. They have LM only. We have tried all kinds of GPS and for RVing, we find the Garmin 760RV LMT. It has lifetime maps and lifetime traffic. It can change from RV to regular vehicle. It is also voice activated and has many features that are exclusively for RVs - RV friendly roads, low bridges, etc. Love the 760. Best for RVs.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:41 PM   #19

What a great thread! I didn't know that they had GPS's specifically for RV's. I already have one Garmin used for trail riding so I can ride alone offroading and not get lost. Looks like I'm going to get another. Our new ride has GPS already but I don't know if it's an RV type.
Bud Ezekiel H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:41 PM   #20

Garmin dezi 560

We bought the Garmin dezi 560 several years ago and love it. Yes it takes me down the wrong road rarely. But we can put our measurements in it and it has never taken be us under a bridge too low or over a bridge not rated for our weight. It has an "RV" mode and "Truck" mode but doesn't seem to differentiate between roads prohibited to commercial trucks and okay for RVs sometimes. We've been to Alaska and back with it and most of the lower 48. I like the 5" screen and have it mounted on the windshield just to the left of the rear view mirror so I don't have to look down.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote