Old 10-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
RV'ing, its good for the self-esteem

NO- this isn't a "people of Walmart kind of thread".

Before I RV'd, my father-in-law literally took care of anything mechanical in my house and cars and- well, anything else there might be. When we got the campers, I realized, we would be out and about without him and there would be times that he couldn't come swoop in to my rescue. I had to learn to be a little more self-sufficient.

So far I've dealt with failures of the lock assembly on our pop-up, binding my JT's when I retracted my landing gear without loosening them and have even dealt with a water leak in the camper here at home. Heck, many of y'all remember the drama that was me changing camper tires.

I was reminded of the random good that has come from me RVing yesterday when I was able to deal with a simple low tire pressure indicator on my wife's car. Sounds dumb- but this is something that I previously wouldn't have been able to do (not being sure of myself nor having the equipment to do it).

What has RVing meant for you?

2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
Agreed, you can learn a lot from camping. Coming from a graduate of tents and broken pop-ups. Lucky for me though, I learned how to do most everything by watching and helping my Dad, who pretty much knows how to do everything, including breaking stuff while trying.

We even camped one hot summer in a tent, brought an AC unit from home and with a little cardboard and a dryer vent tube, the tent was nice and cool. Those days are long gone though.

One year, me and three kids, ages 3, 4 and 5, on the way home from camping blew a transmission. I was pulling a Pop-up with a Chevy Van. Pull over get them out of the van, sit on the side of the Mass Pike for an hour waiting for a tow. My Doughter and her two 20 something year old friends still talk about it.

Steve & Betsy
2017 DYNAMAX Isata 3
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
I grew up with parents who had the theory that if you didn't fix it yourself, it normally didn't get fixed, mainly because we were a lower income family. I look at is as a huge blessing as my Dad and I spent countless hours working on our vehicles and stuff around the house.

I've always told people that while my folks taught me a lot of skills the biggest thing I learned from them was to just be willing to try.
2016 Ford F150 Platinum
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood 2560G Pop Up
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
Send a message via Skype™ to Chrisbrock
Good stuff ... it forces you to be a mister fix it even if you are not
Christopher Brock
2014 Sunseeker 3170ds
2012 Honda Odyssey
2003 Hummer H2
2003 IS300
Chrisbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Not sure about self esteem, but Rving in the good outdoors has certainly improved my sex life.
Lily the Yorkie
2015 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Dirt and bugs in your food do not kill you.
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Mostly RVing has meant an opportunity to be with family and take them to do something I always wanted to do as a kid. I was already able to fix most thing (since I usually broke them).

I will admit that what gives me a little swagger is towing. I have now driven nearly everything I ever wanted.
2011 PrimeTime Tracer 2600rls
2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500, 6.0L 4.10:1 axle ratio
Nights camping 2014 - 17
2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
Rving has made me do things that I did not think I was capable of. Live with out internet, tv, phone, family over a lot of the time, babysitting grandkids. But taught me to empty the gray water (sure is stinky), black water ( changed diapers, not much difference). But I love it and want to never stop.
Just haven't gotten up the courage to tow the trailer, but I did the popup and took the oldest granddaughter on a weeks trip just the two of us.

Al and Deb
Sarge, Sugar and Ginger
2006 Silverado "Predator"
2011 Greywolf 26rl "Wounded Wolf"
camped 2013 94 days 2014 24 days

nuisance is online now   Reply With Quote