Old 09-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
RV'ing vs. Other Vacation Types

Well my DW and I just got back from a incredible two week vacation in Alaska. Since I've known the Mrs. it has been on her bucket list as her number one "wish to" place to see and experience. And are we glad we did.

However, living in the Western New York area and flying out of Buffalo International Airport it took us 26 1/2 hours to get to Fairbanks Alaska! After 3 hours of sleep our land tour part of the trip was to begin at 8am the next morning. Every day we had scheduled tours or events going to Denali National Park, small towns and stops, heading along the way to Anchorage to board a cruise ship and start the second phase of our dream trip. This was all right the with excitement and anticipation of the luxury of the cruiseship, we had never cruised before, and the excellent personal service by ship staff. The flight home from Vancouver British Columbia took 42 hours!

All I know after this dream come true vacation is why I LOVE RV'ing so much! Since we are not retired it was impossible for us to have the time to have driven our 2011 Georgetown 330 to Alaska. But everywhere we looked there were RV's along the way. It made my wife and I wish so bad that we were enjoying the majestic beauty of our 49th state in the comforts of our motor home. Putting up with the BS of the airline industry and crammed over booked flights is enough to make many folks just stay home. Spending huge amounts of money sitting around airports on food and drink waiting for delayed flights (around $250 on this trip) is enough to strain most vacation budgets. Though our accommodations were very nice for the most part, and extremely nice in our ship cabin, we tired of eating restaurant food every day. Towns that we would've liked to linger in a day longer we had to hustle out of, on to the next destination and the next tour.

This trip, with all complaints aside, we truly did love, only made our desire to spend as much time as possible enjoying the beauty and splendor of this magnificent country aboard our loved RV!

2011 Georgetown 330TS
RAV4 on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Sounds like the trip that me and the Mrs. took in 2006, we loved it but like you said it's expensive. We too really like the options that RVing gives. We like being able to stay as long as we want and eat food that we prepare plus our beloved dogs can come along.

Henry & Tena
2013 Solera 24S
The Great Escape
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Love My Sunseeker
I didn't start RV'ing until 2004, but I blame the 9/11 thing. My motto now is.... "If I can't get there in my RV it's not worth going to."

I even use the RV to visit relatives. At siblings homes, they let me plug in behind their house, albeit, 20 amp...... When visiting parents, I stay in an RV park and ride the bus up to their home. This chagrins my mom......

My bucket list item is to "do Alaska" in the RV!
JJ only, my cat went to Rainbow Bridge July 2015

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
Sounds like the trip that me and the Mrs. took in 2006, we loved it but like you said it's expensive. We too really like the options that RVing gives. We like being able to stay as long as we want and eat food that we prepare plus our beloved dogs can come along.
Yeah, the dogs. We used to go on a lot of cruises and fly into cities we wanted to visit, but we got tired of leaving the dog behind. So we turned to camping, and we like it a lot better.

And unlike with hotels, I KNOW who drooled on my pillow last night. It may have been the dog, but at least I know who it was.
2013 Surveyor SP220
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
We just sold our cabin of 17 years and are looking forward to getting back to RVing.
msroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
We used to fly or ride the motorcycles on vacation and stay in hotels and eat out all the time. The flying got old and the motorcycle riding started hurting my pretzel like spine. We haven't rented a hotel room in nearly 10 years. I also like to cook so that is no issue, either in the rv or on the fire pit. No regrets.

We do have one trip on the bucket list that we will not be able to rv to. That would be a January or February trip to Fairbanks to watch the Northern Lights.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Duramax and Allison 6 speed
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
Wanna Be Camper
As much as we love RVing there are times when it does not make any sense. We can do in 2 weeks flying what would take over a month with the RV and do it cheaper flying. For example we have to go to Ontario every summer to visit the DW's father then on to Nova Scotia to visit my mom. If we did it with the RV it is almost 2 weeks of just driving. We fly in to Toronto on a 2 1/2 hr flight, rent a nice car and drive to the DW's sisters for 5 days, back to the airport for a 2 hr flight to Halifax rent a nice Mustang GT convertible visit family for a week then home in 8 hours. Total cost is less than the gas we would have burnt.

Like I said we love our RV and use it as much as possible but sometimes it just makes no sense dollar wise or time wise and for what the truck and trailer cost, well we could have a ton of real nice vacations for a lot of years.

Now if we were retired and time was of no concern well it would be a bit different maybe.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2013: 16 2014: 5 2015: 3
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
Well written Sherman. I have a dream like this too. Thanks for sharing.
totalled 04-11-16 by storm(picking up new one 10-26-16)
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #9
My wife and I have rented motorhomes twice on our visits to Alaska. Granted it was in the days of 2 free bags for each person on the airlines. Renting a RV is the only way to go in Alaska. When I did the calculations it was slightly more expensive to the the RV than a car rental and motels. But we got the convenience of the RV, that is worth a lot.

It's a great place to tour. i am hoping I can get the wife to agree to a summer up there when she retires. If not, I guess I'll get a couple of fishing buddies to go.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote