Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #1

RVQ or Coleman

So, I'd like to get a portable grill for next year's glamping adventures. I'm looking at an Camco Olympian 5500 or a Coleman Road Trip (not sure which model)

Here's some pros/cons...

Camco-
Looks spiffy
Hangs on RV
Hooks to propane line without modifications
Setting it on a picnic table it looks flimsy
Cooking odors up next to RV

Coleman-
Could use it other places
Has a stand, it can be set up anywhere.
Smaller cook surface
Needs an adapter to attach to RV propane
I think it's MUCH bulkier and maybe heavier.

Can people please chime in with some other pros/cons I should consider?

Thanks!!
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricInColorado View Post
So, I'd like to get a portable grill for next year's glamping adventures. I'm looking at an Camco Olympian 5500 or a Coleman Road Trip (not sure which model)

Here's some pros/cons...

Camco-
Looks spiffy
Hangs on RV
Hooks to propane line without modifications
Setting it on a picnic table it looks flimsy The stand is not flimsy and works very well.
Cooking odors up next to RVNot any different than the Coleman if hooked to camper propane.

Coleman-
Could use it other places
Has a stand, it can be set up anywhere.
Smaller cook surface
Needs an adapter to attach to RV propane
I think it's MUCH bulkier and maybe heavier.

Can people please chime in with some other pros/cons I should consider?

Thanks!!
Responses in red.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #3

I bought the Camco several months ago and love it...a nice hot grill with a design that really seems to reduce flare ups. No worries about it hanging from the RV and it's fairly light for being stainless. We've never used it on the stand on a picnic table, but why would you? Remember with the Coleman you'll need to haul the small propane canisters or worry about tripping over the LP hose if you hook it up that way.
Indy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #4

I am very pleased with my Coleman. I bought a second regulator and modified it to connect to the low pressure supply hose on the trailer. Works great. The water filled drip tray makes for one more clean-up chore when packing up, but it is very effective and preventing grease flare-ups that every other small grill I had was proned to. Now that the Colemans have the folding legs, it makes it really easy to transport and setup. They have all the accessories as well - griddle, storage bag, etc... We use the small bottles when we take the grill tailgating for football.

Just personal preference here, but I do not want the grill mounted on the side of the trailer. There doesn't seem to be any problem the heat or grease/smoke so it is fine to do it that way. We have been visited by a few bears over the years, and no matter how much you clean a grill, they know where to find it. I prefer to have the grill away from the camper, especially since the trailer mount on our camper is right under the back tent end.

And not to muddy the waters, but, the Weber Q's, like the Q100 or 200 are super nice grills also. After 5 years, my Coleman is still in great shape, so no plans to change, but if I did, the Weber would be on the top of my list.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Responses in red.
I concur with his responses even tho I don't like to.

We've been using our rvq since 2005 with zero issues.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
RV Nomad

Check out the Weber Q100/120. I had a Coleman, worked ok, but I have upgraded to a Q120, and will never look back. Cast aluminum body, not thin stamped steel, Cast iron cooking surface cooks even and has flare up guards cast into it, very stable legs for use on a picnic table, does not come with a stand, but one is available for purchase, domed lid allowed me to cook a whole chicken on it, turned out great! Can't do that on the others. I bought the hose and tee to plumb into RV's propane, works great. Cons, it is a little heavy, but that is because it is built much sturdier than the others, it only has one burner in the shape of an O, so you can't do indirect heat cooking on it. Overall, a great little grill.
xgzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #7

Bought the Coleman, it was on sale for 88 bucks and I have a stove that uses the same bottles or adapter and one of the boys bought me a lantern that is fuel compatible......

The extra 20# tank is gonna be SOOOO handy....
Old 11-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #8

Another vote for the Coleman. Six years strong. Versatile with two burners, heavy cast iron grates and griddle. Can do a lot of pancakes of French toast on the griddle. Fold up legs with wheels so I can pull it to the picnic table or anywhere else to use it, away from the camper! Down side is it is a little heavy (or take iron grates out, much lighter to handle) and bulky when storing or first set up. They have all kinds of propane adapters available to suit your propane needs.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #9

Another option... Forest River has (as an option) a Outside Gas Grill and Worktable combo - pretty sure it would fit your unit.

You mentioned you camp in bear country ... in A Roo?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post

You mentioned you camp in bear country ... in A Roo?
We do now. Had a popup for 13 years before that. A bear paw through the canvas ended that. We were at the water park, and nobdoy was around. All he got was some styrofoam plates and a couple dishes?? Not sure what attracted him to the camper. Insurance company declared it a total loss(Coleman is out of business, so no way to get OEM parts they said), but let me keep it. Sold it, took the insurance check and put it toward the Roo.

Generally, the bears around the campground a huge nuissance, but they don't come around if people are out. If they do wander in when nobody is out, any noise or light will get rid of them. Lots of people are in tents and popups. This is the only time we have seen a bear bother a camper. Every time we think we have bear proofing figured out, something else happens. Woke up one night to a bear in the bed of my pickup (tailgate up), tearing the lid off a clean, empty cooler. OK, no more coolers - full, empty or otherwise... Then another time, we wake up when we hear the grill go over. Bear is gone before I can even look out the door. Next morning we find it took a citronella candle across the creek and ate it. Add that to the list...

And if people would do a better job of not leaving food around, they wouldn't be so used to getting free meals at the campground. Just like the day the bear got our popup. I walk up the road, and the people at the end of the row have fridge on the picnic table, pizza boxes all over - no bear there??? No idea why it ended up harrassing us after we worked pretty hard to clean, bleach, put away everything. I could probably start a whole thread on stupid bear stories, but anyhow, no way a grill is going on the side of my camper!

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote