Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 06:15 AM   #41

My father lived 63 years never needed a firearm, I am 43 never needed a firearm maybe he just beat the overwhelming odds in life and im lucky so far
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
Old 10-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #42

I wasn’t going to get serious with this thread but I’ve changed my mind. I hope all you good folks who camp with young children and bring your firearms store your guns properly.

The day before we departed W. Yellowstone a heartbreaking shooting occurred in Yellowstone NP. A 3 year old girl accidently shot herself with a handgun and died. The family was camping at the Grant Village Campground. This was really a tragic and avoidable accident and should serve as a reminder to keep your firearms out of reach of youngsters.

Here’s a link to the initial story. Yellowstone Shooting Death: 3-Year-Old Girl Allegedly Shot Herself With Handgun

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Old 10-23-2013, 06:58 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
My father lived 63 years never needed a firearm, I am 43 never needed a firearm maybe he just beat the overwhelming odds in life and im lucky so far

That reminds me of the old saying " better to have and not need then need and not have"

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Old 10-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I wasn’t going to get serious with this thread but I’ve changed my mind. I hope all you good folks who camp with young children and bring your firearms store your guns properly.

The day before we departed W. Yellowstone a heartbreaking shooting occurred in Yellowstone NP. A 3 year old girl accidently shot herself with a handgun and died. The family was camping at the Grant Village Campground. This was really a tragic and avoidable accident and should serve as a reminder to keep your firearms out of reach of youngsters.

Here’s a link to the initial story. Yellowstone Shooting Death: 3-Year-Old Girl Allegedly Shot Herself With Handgun
My 9mm goes wherever my truck goes, but stays locked in the truck. I know it's not a perfect solution, but I'm comfortable with it.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
Old 10-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #45

I have a HD shotgun and two pistols close at hand when camping or about most anytime really.
A gun is like a fire extinguisher - you use it till the cops arrive.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #46
Site Team - Lou

As a current and long time PA, UT, and FL permit holder (and whose politics are slightly to the right of Atilla the Hun), I understand the issues, pro and con, being discussed.

As a staff member trying to keep the peace on the forum, sometimes my views get in the way of that voluntarily accepted duty. This is one of the topics that generate very strong feelings and I must commend the posters who have for the most part kept this discussion "on point" and not run afoul of the posting rules.

Here are some more recent threads on this topic and the archive has tons more. Many were closed (and some long time members banned) when this hot button topic spun out of control; feathers got ruffled; words get said; and anger replaced judgment.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...s-21815-2.html
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...e-47373-2.html
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...earms-941.html
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...s-23682-2.html
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rly-18514.html
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tana-7386.html
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ada-48437.html
Old 10-23-2013, 07:24 AM   #47
Always Learning

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing - we're either in the minority or others don't want to speak up. I've never owned a gun nor have I ever been in a situation where I even remotely felt like I wished I had one.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #48

I have CCP,if I leave the house I'm carring other than where not permitted. South Carolina is the only state around me that doesn't allow it so we don't go there.

2013 Wildwood 26TBSS
2014 Ram 1500 Express CC
2013 Days camped 13
2014 Days camped 14
Old 10-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #49

I am assuming that most posters on this thread are Americans. I would like to point out that if travelling to Canada, check your gun at the border. It is illegal to carry a concealed weapon in Canada. Many Americans, not knowing our laws, have been arrested and charged with this offense. Now you know. Be safe.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 10-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #50

I always carry firearms because cops are too heavy

Just remember, the police are only minutes away when seconds count
Old 10-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I was thinking the same thing - we're either in the minority or others don't want to speak up. I've never owned a gun nor have I ever been in a situation where I even remotely felt like I wished I had one.
So far we have defied the odds in life I guess according to some we are accomplishing the impossible.
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
Old 10-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #52
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Have owned and just gave my 3 rifles to our oldest son. If I felt the need to carry any firearm while camping, I'd quit camping or at least find a more desirable campground. Not opposed to firearms at all, just don't think it's worth all the hassle with permits and limiting us to not being able to go into some states or campgrounds, etc. Life is too short for all that hassle.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #53
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I am assuming that most posters on this thread are Americans. I would like to point out that if travelling to Canada, check your gun at the border. It is illegal to carry a concealed weapon in Canada. Many Americans, not knowing our laws, have been arrested and charged with this offense. Now you know. Be safe.
Terry is quite right. While there are exceptions, most times the offending personal protection device is just confiscated (and not returned). Normally, the worst result is when the person knowingly tries to conceal the fact a PPD is aboard and is discovered.

You are nearly ALWAYS ask. If you say yes; they confiscate the offending item. If you say no, they may or may not search. If they do and find something (firearm, tear gas, pepper spray, nunchucks, etc), things will go very hard on you.

Do read the Canada link in my previous post.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post

Appreciate the tip and I've seen stories like this on the news, but honestly, if someone doesn't know that they shouldn't bring their gun into another country, they should be arrested, their gun should be confiscated. That sort of ignorance makes all intelligent gun owners look foolish.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Old 10-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan2503S View Post
Appreciate the tip and I've seen stories like this on the news, but honestly, if someone doesn't know that they shouldn't bring their gun into another country, they should be arrested, their gun should be confiscated. That sort of ignorance makes all intelligent gun owners look foolish.

It is evident that is in fact the case. I have read several reports of Americans getting charged. I live relatively near a ferry crossing from Maine to Nova Scotia ( not now operating, but will be later next year) and when they reach Canadian soil, they just can't turn back or walk back to the US border patrol and turn the weapon in, so they just proceed.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 10-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Have owned and just gave my 3 rifles to our oldest son. If I felt the need to carry any firearm while camping, I'd quit camping or at least find a more desirable campground. Not opposed to firearms at all, just don't think it's worth all the hassle with permits and limiting us to not being able to go into some states or campgrounds, etc. Life is too short for all that hassle.
I don't ever comment on "gun" threads as I like to stay out of the heated, but not going to ever go anywhere, threads. I am 35, used to hunt in my teen years, but no longer have any use for a gun. Where I live (and this is a huge reason for being here) I can leave doors unlocked, cars unlocked with keys in them, and let my kids ride bikes around the neighborhood with no worries of safety. I put my faith first, and would struggle to kill anyone, even if it meant me.
I have no problems with guns or anyone carrying. I think I will take a cwp class for a better understanding. My job may lead to carrying, but for now, if I am in fear enough they I feel like I NEED to carry, I'll quit camping.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #57
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Life is too short for all that hassle.
I too choose not to go armed with a firearm while camping (for the most part). That is not to say we don't have the means to defend ourselves from threats human and animal encountered while traveling and in camp.

While not approved for border crossings, check out the Kimber Pepperblaster II.

PepperBlaster II Trainer - THIS IS THE TRAINING VERSION AND FIRES BLUE FOOD DYE. Unless you want to be beat up by a "blue guy" keep this for the range.

Kimber Less Lethal Pepper Blaster II

Mine broke up a dog fight at a campground once when a stray dog attacked a neighbor's dog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kimber Pepperblaster II.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	41613  
Old 10-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #58

Yeah, we carry self defense tools as needed. That said, we depend more on our traveling buddies as a first line deterrent to bad folks wishing to do us harm. At 120+/- lbs each, if your a bad person, and want to try them out, by the time you get past them, (not likely with out your own weapon) I've had enough time to grab another defensive tool. We have camped in some pretty out of the way places and have never been bothered so far. I personally think the type of camping one does, and where, has a lot to do with how safe you can expect to be. Just like knowing where not to go in your home town, it is the same with knowing not where to camp.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #59
Site Team

Quote:
Please take no offense to this. None intended.
You're not just lucky. You haven't needed a firearm for two reasons. 1, you don't hunt, and 2, others, who do have firearms, have provided you with a sense of security. As a 32 year veteran peace officer, I'd say your feeling of not needing one means law enforcement in your area is doing a good job. Just a thought, (and a pat on my back.) Lol.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #60

I've carried a gov't model .45 with my carry permit for years and stored(locked) it in the trailer when away. I've decided to leave it home and stow my 20 gauge hog leg instead. It's 50 state legal without a carry permit and the shear sound of it racking means business. Chances are good I'll never need to need it, but dangerous wild life doesn't discriminate and bad guys come prepared. This just levels the playing field.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
Closed Thread