Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #1

Sad Day in the Trailer Hood

Well thats wraps up this years camping season The Rockwood is cleaned out and winterized and tilted back for the end of the season. Only 181 days unitl camping season starts again. Man this is going to be a long long long winter.On the bright side this was one of the best summers of my entire life and I was luckyenough to shared it with all my new friends who I have come to know and love.

John
2009 Silverado w/5000 lbs airbags and P3 controller.
2013 Rockwood 2702SS
US Army Veteran
Glockfanjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #2

I have to agree this has been one of my best summers also. We bought a new toy hauler this year and used it 10 weekend trips. We loved being able to our quads with us every where we went. We can't wait till next year also.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #3

Same story here brought the camper home from a weekend of use and winterized it. No question one of the best summers ever. 42 days of camping this year and I cant wait until the spring!
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

We only get in about 20 days on the road a year and a few weekend campouts on our acerage but we love every minute as well. THis summer was probably the best as we went to the FROG rally in Goshen Indiana and we met a bunch of amazing people and look forward to doing it all over next year..

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:04 AM   #5

How depressing. I guess I should be happy to live in south Louisiana where hurricanes wreak havoc on us and the temps very seldom dip below freezing for long periods of time. We really enjoy camping 13 months a year!!!
sdagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #6

Years back, I would take my camper out all through the winter. I would winterize as usual but when I took the camper out it would just be one of the area lakes for the weekend. I would carry five gallons of water in a container and use it for cooking and flushing the toilet. I never had a problem with the waste tanks freezing.

Sometimes I would go when there was a light snow on the ground and the lakes frozen solid except where the geese and ducks congregated. By four in the afternoon the sun would be going down and the temperature dropping. It was during these times that the great solitude would set in and I would not see another living soul. My only company through the night was the honking and quacking of the geese and ducks. It was very cozy sitting in the camper and looking out at the frozen world. Perhaps I'll try it again this winter.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #7

X2 on the best summer. Having retired I've been able to add about 20 days camping this year, not so for my DW though. She still works so I'll go to the campground a couple days earlier and get a good site and take it easy till she gets here for the long weekends. Like now I'm setting at our home campground and she'll come up this wekend because it's the campground Halloween weekend.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #8

Just returned from our last trip. We plan to winterize sometime this week. Temps are expected to be in the 60's during the day and 40's at night, so we have a bit of time.

We may try some winter camping in Jan or Feb if mother nature cooperates.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #9

Unhappy

ALAST!!!
All good things must come to an end
Driver39 and I are going to winterize our TT today , heart says no don't, want to go out camping more.
How far do others go on emptying the cupboards> IE: cans, bottles, boxed goods, cleaning supplies? Also how much anti -freeze do others put in each tank?
Had a very mild winter last year so didn't worry to much. Expect a very LONG AND HARD SNOW this year.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #10

We were going to go camping again in November and decided to wait until after the holidays. We'll probably do a 3 day weekend in January again. I winterized it the other day just in-case. It rarely gets cold enough here to harm anything, but there is always a chance.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance View Post
ALAST!!!
All good things must come to an end
Driver39 and I are going to winterize our TT today , heart says no don't, want to go out camping more.
How far do others go on emptying the cupboards> IE: cans, bottles, boxed goods, cleaning supplies? Also how much anti -freeze do others put in each tank?
Had a very mild winter last year so didn't worry to much. Expect a very LONG AND HARD SNOW this year.

Seeing we are in Ohio all liquid products come out to include the can goods. We take out all food products and cardboard or paper products. We seal all cloths and linens in those vacuum bags and only leave out dryer sheets and 2 tubes of dry silica. We do leave dishes and any other thing that if a mouse gets in cant eat.

Usally i use a total of 6 gallons of antifreeze to finish off the winterizing process.

The one thing I do is to pull up my stabilizers and run up the tougne jack to tilt back the TT and then set the stabilizers back down. This will insure that all water runs off the roof and the awnings so no standing water will freeze.

Good luck

John
2009 Silverado w/5000 lbs airbags and P3 controller.
2013 Rockwood 2702SS
US Army Veteran
Glockfanjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #12

We just got back from a 4 day trip earlier today. We have one more trip planned the last of the month, just hope the weather holds out. It will be a sad time when I have to winterize. I told the DW I want to go camping this weekend but I think she has other ideas. We have had a great summer camping in the different campgrounds. Last month we made the first big haul to Tybee Island, GA, sort of a break in run which included the trek over Monteagle Mountain, 285 Bypass around Atlanta and the never ending trip down I-16. I had my first blow out on the tv and recovered...this year has been a learning experience. Counting down until next spring....
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #13

Y'all come on down to north Texas, we are thinking about winterizing the trailer , washing it

I'm sorry you have to put up the camper
Have a good winter
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #14

2 more trips for us before winterizing about the 9th of November. The ES will go to Bill Thomas Camper Sales for some warranty work. IF mother nature cooperates there may be a trip or two in January, and one in February. Then will start the season in late March!!!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #15
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdagro
How depressing. I guess I should be happy to live in south Louisiana where hurricanes wreak havoc on us and the temps very seldom dip below freezing for long periods of time. We really enjoy camping 13 months a year!!!
X2 in Georgia

Old 10-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance View Post
ALAST!!!

How far do others go on emptying the cupboards> IE: cans, bottles, boxed goods, cleaning supplies? Also how much anti -freeze do others put in each tank? Had a very mild winter last year so didn't worry to much. Expect a very LONG AND HARD SNOW this year.
We get 40 below for days at a time, so perhaps we do more than others.
I remove all canned goods and all bottles. Staples like flour, sugar, baking powder, etc stay on board. They are all in sturdy rubbermaid restaurant storage containers so I'm not worried about mice. Olive oil stays on board. Don't forget the bathroom items that can freeze.

We use an air compressor to blow out the water system. Go through each fixture in rotation several times (don't forget the toilet).

We disconnect the outside shower and inside shower hoses (easy). We dump some rv antifreeze down each drain. We pull the annode out of the water heater. Take out the water filter.

We do use the RV over the winter. We've taken extended trips each winter. When headed South, we just add water when we're past the freezing weather and then use our compressor to blow it all out again on the way home. I'm thinking of buying a smaller compressor (and lighter) rather than dragging along the one I use for my construction projects.

I do not want to contaminate our water system with the mystery red goo. We don't eat chemical laden food containing artificial flavors and colors why would I want to contaminate our drinking water supply?
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote