Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #1

Safe Awning Practice

I rarely use my awning because I do not want to damage it. So with that said, what are some guidelines for using the awning, acceptable wind conditions?

Thanks,

Randy

Randy from Texas
TV - 2014 Chevy Silverado
TT - 2014 Palomino Puma 28DSBS
Grif76040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #2
Site Team

This works good for me. Had my awning out in 35mph winds no problem. Tie strapped down though.
Awning pole hold down kit - Page 115 - Forest River Forums

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140406_120744_134.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	71217

Name:	IMG_20140406_120505_241.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	71218

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #3

Not much Info? Common Sense is the Best Rule for Awning Deployment,Manual or Electric! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #4

That's a little difficult to answer. It's somewhat dependent on maker, material, size.. etc.

Platokidd already referenced OC's tie-down pole kits. Those are a Godsend. You might also consider using deflappers. I have a 15' electric, use the 'max' type deflappers and O.C.'s pole's and very rarely pull my awning in. I've had it out in 35-40mph gusts without any problem, but common sense has to play a role. If you are getting a lot of 'action' in the awning, it's probably a good idea to roll'r up.

My main concern isn't so much about when it is deployed, but unfurling when traveling. I use an awning clamp which has seemed to work well so far.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:21 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
That's a little difficult to answer. It's somewhat dependent on maker, material, size.. etc.

Platokidd already referenced OC's tie-down pole kits. Those are a Godsend. You might also consider using deflappers. I have a 15' electric, use the 'max' type deflappers and O.C.'s pole's and very rarely pull my awning in. I've had it out in 35-40mph gusts without any problem, but common sense has to play a role. If you are getting a lot of 'action' in the awning, it's probably a good idea to roll'r up.

My main concern isn't so much about when it is deployed, but unfurling when traveling. I use an awning clamp which has seemed to work well so far.
I made my awning "Unfurling" device. Have another that just slips in the sunscreen slot and holds the same way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Alum tab for awning lock.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	71224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alum tab, 3-8 x 1-2 ss bolt, washer & nyloc nut.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	71225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning lock top bracket.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	71226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning lock turnbuckle.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	71227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom hook unlatched.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	71228  

Old 03-12-2015, 06:22 PM   #6
Site Team

I tend to close mine up if I am worrying about it. I used to think I worry too much until I saw someone else's awning being blown around before it ended up covering the TT.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:26 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I tend to close mine up if I am worrying about it. I used to think I worry too much until I saw someone else's awning being blown around before it ended up covering the TT.
You need a set of poles.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #8
Site Team

Lessons learned

Lost a awning in a micro burst once its nojoy We were gone for a short period of time. Trashed the awning and had to make repairs to the small hole in the roof from the poles crashing into it.

If we gone for the shortest length time or major storm comes, the awning goes in now. Lessons learned

Name:	IMG_0098.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	541.8 KB
ID:	71229

Zelda the campin dog
Old 03-12-2015, 06:48 PM   #9

I read a lot about awning hold down poles. Is there a video of what they are, how they are installed and why we need them? I have looked at all of the photos, but I can't for the life of me figure them out.

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:54 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingcybermom View Post
I read a lot about awning hold down poles. Is there a video of what they are, how they are installed and why we need them? I have looked at all of the photos, but I can't for the life of me figure them out.
All questions concerning OC's awning poles and brackets should be made on the link furnished below" Or send OC' a pm.
Awning pole hold down kit - Page 115 - Forest River Forums

Zelda the campin dog
Old 03-12-2015, 07:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingcybermom View Post
The electrical awnings are a problem. They do not have legs like the manual ones do that you can drop. So adding the poles allows you to tie them down with support to the roller. If you don't have them they will flop around. If you don't have them the best thing to do is try them down to like a dog leash screw at each end. That way the wind would have to get up pretty high to break them. It will also stop the banging you here with just a little wind. think of it as a tri pod. The poles allow you to tighten down more which can support more of a wind gust. In the end at least tie them down when you have them open and close them when your gone....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #12

I think as long as you roll it in during inclement weather, while you're away, and before you go to bed you shouldn't have any problems with it... Just keep an eye on the weather app on your smartphone.
Backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:20 PM   #13

I take two dog leash lawn screws which are about a foot long, put them in the ground right under the end of the awning, then take two load binder straps with the adjustable winder, loop them over the awning frame and put the ground hook into a 6 inch spring which attaches to the ground screw. When the wind blows, the springs give it a little tension and release so it is not all on the framing. Works great and never had a problem. Now if it is that windy that the awning is bouncing around, then I roll the awning up. The other thing to watch is to make sure you tilt the awning to the low side of the campsite so if it were to rain, the water will run off the awning, alot of work to try to dump 50 - 100 pounds of collected water off of a "Balloned" awning.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:25 AM   #14

Made my own awning poles from pvc pipe and here on the Oregon Coast.....the awning has not been retracted for almost 3 months.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:17 AM   #15

I think one just needs to make some type of tie down system. Tenttotrailer mentions a common practice that works very well. I see that set up all the time. Very easy to do and from common items found everywhere.

With the electric ones, you need to fabricate some type of end pole so that you can tie down the end. Telescoping tent poles work well in this instance.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #16

Roll it up! Once it is stretched out it will hold water. I watched mine almost crash! I saved it really quick by using a broom and pushing the puddle of water out of the middle of it. Tie downs do no good with electric. I have seen my lift with wind to. If I`m leaving somewhere, It get`s rolled up! I seen to many take off!
buttons
buttonsi2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonsi2k View Post
Roll it up! Once it is stretched out it will hold water. I watched mine almost crash! I saved it really quick by using a broom and pushing the puddle of water out of the middle of it. Tie downs do no good with electric. I have seen my lift with wind to. If I`m leaving somewhere, It get`s rolled up! I seen to many take off!
buttons
Even with support poles, you still need to drop a corner lower for run off. I do not trust the auto dump on them. I always have about a 2 hole drop on the outside (OC POLES). Water will not collect that way... I have been in some big pours without a problem.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:38 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonsi2k View Post
buttons
Don't remember ever retracting my elec. awning during a downpour after installing the awning tie down poles. Just tilt one end about 4"-6" and let it rain. That's one of the reasons for the awning to be able to sit out and enjoy the rain.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Don't remember ever retracting my elec. awning during a downpour after installing the awning tie down poles. Just tilt one end about 4"-6" and let it rain. That's one of the reasons for the awning to be able to sit out and enjoy the rain.
Same here....drop one side of my awning the rain goes right off. And my tie-downs seem to work just right on my awning.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:02 AM   #20

I use tie downs also and no problems. When out west in the Rockies,depending where we are, the awning doesn't get used because of the very high winds that can come on suddenly. I don't have to tilt the awning at all because it has a good slant to it.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning