Old 10-20-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
Cyber Phrenologist
Exclamation SAME Weather Radio Suggestions and a Recall

I would recommend two brands...Radio Shack and Midland. I don't know who makes the Radio Shack radio but they all seem to be OK and there are Radio Shacks everywhere so you can put your hands on one before you buy and get service (swap out) anywhere you happen to be. The other brand I would look for is Midland. Either the WR100 or WR300.

I would avoid Oregon Scientific for a little while while they get their recall straightened out.

I would look for 2 features in a SAME equipped Weather Radio for the RV:

Get one with an external antenna jack. The WX frequencies fall in the VHF TV band, between channels 4 and 5, (not sure, but in there somewhere) so your roof mounted TV antenna system will pick up the signals and all you need then is a splitter. Be careful not to allow DC voltage in to the WX radio antenna port. This DC power is in your RV system to power antenna amplifiers.

The other feature is a 12 vdc powered radio that requires an AC "wall-wart" power supply. Then you make an adapter cable to run off the RV 12 vdc system.

Some folks think I'm a bit weather paraniod. Not at all. In fact, I don't worry much about the weather because I have my SAME WX receivers to do the worrying for me.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #2
The Jolly Mon
Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
I have the Midland WR 300...and love it. It sits right by the bed at home. I have taken it camping, but use it mostly at home.

The Concertone system in my trailer picks up WX bands. Sure wish they would have made it a better set up with SAME, etc.
Pete (Jolly Mon)

2014 Jayco Whitehawk 24 RBS
2004 Nissan Titan LE, 4x4
Equal-i-zer hitch
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote