Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2018, 06:12 PM   #1

Sanitizing

So today I’ve been at sanatizing my fresh water tank. 67 gallons does not drain quickly...

Drained what the dealer had in there, which was pretty much a full load.
Filled with water and bleach...wait three hours.
Drain again...
Fill again... (to flush)
Drain again...
Waiting now till we hit the trail next week before filling.

Or would it be better to keep it full?? After all this, don’t want something to start growing down there...
xd40c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #2

Did you run the bleach solution through all the lines also?
To answer your question, I drain my fresh water at tbe campground before I leave and don't fill it again until I get to the campground the next time. If I'm only going to be a week between trips, I normally don't drain the fresh tank.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking46 View Post
Did you run the bleach solution through all the lines also?
To answer your question, I drain my fresh water at tbe campground before I leave and don't fill it again until I get to the campground the next time. If I'm only going to be a week between trips, I normally don't drain the fresh tank.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I did pull it through all the lines before letting it sit...
xd40c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:15 AM   #4

I keep mine filled, well about 1/3rd full, between trips. I feel like keeping potable water in their sloshing around while driving will help keep anything from growing. Especially if it is city water that has been chlorinated. I'm not expert though, so it may not matter either way?
Old 08-14-2018, 10:34 AM   #5
Site Team

I keep ours partially filled for a few reasons.
1) It's chlorinated so as GMack says, it sloshing around in there keeps the inside of the tank sanitized.
2) We have water available if we need to make an overnight stop when traveling without having to hook up to city water. I know it just takes a few minutes, but it saves that few minutes hooking and unhooking and storing the hose and fittings.
3) It allows us to have fresh water available at home in case our water goes out or we have a boil order or some other reason the water is shut off for a period of time. While it doesn't happen often, we are in hurricane country so it has happened before.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #6
Gold Tee Box

Like others, I like keeping a few gallons with a little bleach to slosh around and have some in the tank if we have to make a potty stop someplace (like in the middle of Nevada). You can always put more in, dilute it and pump out and replentish while at a campground.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:37 PM   #7
RY3

Chlorinated water only stays that way for about a day just sitting. Moving around it will evaporate faster. Chloramine will stay a little longer from 48-72 hours normally. So I see little reason to keep water like that in tank for the purpose of sanitizing my tank.
RY3 is offline   Reply With Quote