Old 04-21-2016, 07:47 PM   #1
sparky

sat tv

I have direct tv at home but what is the best provider for rving my direct tv receiver is not compatable with mobile sat antenna.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravn53 View Post
I have direct tv at home but what is the best provider for rving my direct tv receiver is not compatable with mobile sat antenna.
How is that? Mine works on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	105686  

4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:05 PM   #3

I have an 18" dish with a tripod for my Directv. Part of my home account.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:11 PM   #4
clr

I also use Direct TV when on the road or when south for the season. I have a tripod and dish for the RV and take the receivers from the house when I leave. Work great for me I record my wife's shows and everything. Pretty easy to set up once you get the knack of it.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:46 AM   #5

Most of the automatic antennas will receive Directv in SD mode, not HD, but you still can get the channels. You need a special antenna if you want DTV in HD mode.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #6
sparky

sat tv

I have the genie receiver which is not compatable
Old 04-22-2016, 10:44 AM   #7

The main genie would be, however you can purchase another stand alone receiver from directv or on Craigslist. If you get one on craiglist you would only have to buy a new access card, activate it and pay a monthly equipment fee for the additional receiver

Eastlake, Ohio
2013 F-350 Turbo Diesel
2016 Heritage Glen 368rlbh
Old 04-22-2016, 10:47 AM   #8

Directv in the RV

If you dont have one of the required receivers the only way I am aware of is to get one off Ebay. BUT be aware some are previously leased receivers and cant be used by other accounts. Look for one the owner says is owned and has the money back guarantee if the receiver cant be used.

The required receiver models are listed in the instructions that came with the receiver.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounnder View Post
If you dont have one of the required receivers the only way I am aware of is to get one off Ebay. BUT be aware some are previously leased receivers and cant be used by other accounts. Look for one the owner says is owned and has the money back guarantee if the receiver cant be used.

The required receiver models are listed in the instructions that came with the receiver.
Possibly a side issue, but I read yesterday that Obama has proposed changes in the tv industry that will allow people to buy/own 'set top boxes' from cable companies, etc. Sometimes you can own them now (DISH allows it), but some companies only allow you to lease their box. Of course, owned or leased, you still have to have their leased smart card and you have to activate it and pay monthly to use that device.

If FCC approves this, I assume this will increase competition and change the cost and the way these devices are acquired...........or I look for that to happen. Who knows though.........

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:59 PM   #10

I have the genie system at home too and I have 1 receiver that is mobile that isn't a genie. We keep our fifth wheel on a seasonal lot, so we have a dish mounted on our power pole. We had to buy a SWM power supply and had to have a DirecTV installer locate the satellites with a Bird Dog Pro. I tried forever to do it manually and wasted a LOT of time. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't worry about HD and would just get an old dish and receiver.