Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2016, 06:47 PM   #1
sparky

sat tv

I have direct tv at home but what is the best provider for rving my direct tv receiver is not compatable with mobile sat antenna.
ravn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravn53 View Post
I have direct tv at home but what is the best provider for rving my direct tv receiver is not compatable with mobile sat antenna.
How is that? Mine works on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	105686  
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:05 PM   #3

I have an 18" dish with a tripod for my Directv. Part of my home account.
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:11 PM   #4
clr

I also use Direct TV when on the road or when south for the season. I have a tripod and dish for the RV and take the receivers from the house when I leave. Work great for me I record my wife's shows and everything. Pretty easy to set up once you get the knack of it.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:46 AM   #5

Most of the automatic antennas will receive Directv in SD mode, not HD, but you still can get the channels. You need a special antenna if you want DTV in HD mode.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:37 AM   #6
sparky

sat tv

I have the genie receiver which is not compatable
ravn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:44 AM   #7

The main genie would be, however you can purchase another stand alone receiver from directv or on Craigslist. If you get one on craiglist you would only have to buy a new access card, activate it and pay a monthly equipment fee for the additional receiver

Eastlake, Ohio
2013 F-350 Turbo Diesel
2016 Heritage Glen 368rlbh
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:47 AM   #8

Directv in the RV

If you dont have one of the required receivers the only way I am aware of is to get one off Ebay. BUT be aware some are previously leased receivers and cant be used by other accounts. Look for one the owner says is owned and has the money back guarantee if the receiver cant be used.

The required receiver models are listed in the instructions that came with the receiver.
Sounnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounnder View Post
If you dont have one of the required receivers the only way I am aware of is to get one off Ebay. BUT be aware some are previously leased receivers and cant be used by other accounts. Look for one the owner says is owned and has the money back guarantee if the receiver cant be used.

The required receiver models are listed in the instructions that came with the receiver.
Possibly a side issue, but I read yesterday that Obama has proposed changes in the tv industry that will allow people to buy/own 'set top boxes' from cable companies, etc. Sometimes you can own them now (DISH allows it), but some companies only allow you to lease their box. Of course, owned or leased, you still have to have their leased smart card and you have to activate it and pay monthly to use that device.

If FCC approves this, I assume this will increase competition and change the cost and the way these devices are acquired...........or I look for that to happen. Who knows though.........

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:59 PM   #10

I have the genie system at home too and I have 1 receiver that is mobile that isn't a genie. We keep our fifth wheel on a seasonal lot, so we have a dish mounted on our power pole. We had to buy a SWM power supply and had to have a DirecTV installer locate the satellites with a Bird Dog Pro. I tried forever to do it manually and wasted a LOT of time. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't worry about HD and would just get an old dish and receiver.
Landlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:28 AM   #11

Not to hijack this but curious.. how does one get to watch 2 TVs on different stations.

At m house I have a SWM5 system so you get 1 line in to the SWM unit then off to each room.

With the camper, I have 1 satellite input on the outside. I tie the satellite to that one input and how does it split the signal since I don't have a SWM setup??

If I need a SWM setup, then where do I tie in the powered distribution box?

Appreciate the help!!
Old 04-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #12

The best way to go is SD for DirecTV on the go. The SWM receivers will not work with automatic dishes other than this automatic one: TRAVā€™LER DIRECTV SWM Slimline Automatic Multi-Satellite TV Antenna - Winegard SK-SWM3 - Satellite Antennas - Camping World

As far as setting up the the portable manual dishes, using a meter is a must, and the meters for SWM are expensive.

If you can live with SD on the go, then you have more options. And hey, we are roughing it aren't we? So SD on the go will be fine...
If you don't have any receivers that are compatible, receivers Model Number 24 and lower are SD compatible. Then call DirecTV and add another TV connection with a SD compatible reveiver, and have them hook it up in your camper. Yes, you will pay $7 a month more but you will have a receiver that you can use. I got the HDDVR that is SD AND SWM compatible. So, I have a DVR while camping, how cool is that! For a manual setup, these guys are great! DirecTV Portable Satellite Dish Tripod Kit for RV Tailgating Camping | eBay
Yes, the first few times it took me awhile to setup but I am done outside in less than 5 minutes now and watching TV in less than 15 minutes. There customer service is great! Instructions, well they suck, I found out I did not have to touch the elevation at all, just turn side to side with the meter and it is nuts on everytime. The key is to level the tripod.
Now, I have one of these: KING Quest Automatic Satellite for DIRECTV - KING VQ4100 - Satellite Antennas - Camping World
Well worth the money! Best price on EBAY, literally plug and play. I bought the removable mounting kit and plan to mount it on the roof of my trailer.
Do yourself a big favor, no matter what dish you get set it up a few times at home until you have it down.
92 GMC K2500 454
2006 Honda Rubicon ATV
zuterbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:24 PM   #13

I take a Direct receiver from home and when I get to campground I turn the receiver on then go outside and set up the dish, I have a SWM and I need no meter to set up satellite. It depends on where I'm at to have to change the tilt, elevation and azimuth. I get all that from the menu in the receiver. I go into the menu and find out where to put the new zip code at and then the receiver tells me the tilt, elevation and azimuth for that zip code. It normally takes about twenty minutes. DW, I think likes Direct more than me. I have a Tailgator and it works good to except I don't have Dish anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:40 PM   #14

I am glad to hear from someone that uses a HD SWM setup while on the road, 20 minutes is not that bad.
HD was just not that important to me, SD is fine and having DirecTV camping is awesome no matter what format! Love watching the morning news while sipping my coffee under the canopy.
I record some movies and shows on the DVR ahead of time to watch while camping, and they play back in HD. Still bring DVD's with me but thinking about taking them out, I just don't watch movies anymore.
92 GMC K2500 454
2006 Honda Rubicon ATV
zuterbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuterbru View Post
As far as setting up the the portable manual dishes, using a meter is a must, and the meters for SWM are expensive.
This is absolutely untrue. If you have a compass, a tripod and a plumb pole for your Slimline dish and know where you are, you can be on all three birds within five minutes. There is no need for a meter. I have never not been able to get setup within five minutes after first learning how to do it. I have never had a meter.

Bruce
Old 04-27-2016, 02:52 PM   #16

The best place to go for a setup for your Slimline dish is Satellite TV for RV - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV - RV television - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod. This is a great company with great products and great customer support.

Bruce
Old 04-27-2016, 03:01 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
This is absolutely untrue. If you have a compass, a tripod and a plumb pole for your Slimline dish and know where you are, you can be on all three birds within five minutes. There is no need for a meter. I have never not been able to get setup within five minutes after first learning how to do it. I have never had a meter.

Bruce
Bruce is correct. I use SatFinder Lite (free app) to validate there are no trees, RVs, snow cone stands between my antenna and the satellites... never had a meter. To be technically correct, one doesn't need a tripod ("three feet"). I use this home made doodad.

SatFinder Lite serves as my compass.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:12 PM   #18

I use a SwM and home receiver when camping. I am NOT ANY GOOD at finding satellites, but I'm going to learn. Spock is gonna teach me. Anyone with a name like Spock is surely very smart! And I'm not, so together we're average!

Seriously, I'm gonna learn. I need HD, sorry. The Cardinals deserve HD. They just do.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:23 PM   #19
I go RV'ing not Camping

I had the tripod and a manual dish and I used a meter and i could get the job done in 15min or so. The hardest part was getting the tripod level.

I finally had enough of that and just went with a Winegard Carryout and I am watching tv in 2 min or so. Takes me longer to screw the coax into the trailer than it does for the Winegard to find the satellites.
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:24 PM   #20

[QUOTE=BandJCarm;1178051]I use a SwM and home receiver when camping. I am NOT ANY GOOD at finding satellites, but I'm going to learn. Spock is gonna teach me. Anyone with a name like Spock is surely very smart! And I'm not, so together we're average!

Seriously, I'm gonna learn. I need HD, sorry. The Cardinals deserve HD. They just

It's not that hard, sometimes we make things harder than they are

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote