Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
ATV Junkie

Satalite TV.

Was wondering if anyone know's if a Satalite company has a "per use" plan?

considering adding a TV to the TT and a Satalite would be the only way to go. The TT has a universal dish (dome) installed and is wired for cable connections, etc.

It'd be useless to get on a contract and pay all year for only using it a total of ~20'ish days. But if I could call and activate it and get charged for the time I use it that would work. Even if I had to sign a contract, as long as I don't get charged while its not activated.

I know this is a long shot - can't hurt to ask!
Bulldog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:53 AM   #2

Satelite TV

I have Dish Network at home. I bring my receiver with me when I camp; it doesn't cost anything extra. If you don't have Sat. at home then you would have to suscribe; the basic plan is around $30 a month for about 40 channels. You can deactivate it when you want; but there is a $5 charge when you do this. If you are going to use the dish just during the summer months then you would pay for 4 months then deactivate it for winter. The total cost would be about $130.
Crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog66 View Post
Was wondering if anyone know if a Satellite company has a "per use" plan?

considering adding a TV to the TT and a Satellite would be the only way to go. The TT has a universal dish (dome) installed and is wired for cable connections, etc.

It'd be useless to get on a contract and pay all year for only using it a total of ~20'ish days. But if I could call and activate it and get charged for the time I use it that would work. Even if I had to sign a contract, as long as I don't get charged while its not activated.

I know this is a long shot - can't hurt to ask!
Double check with the Satellite company that you choose to make sure that the dish will work with there system. I do know that Direct TV and Dish Network are not compatible. From my understanding Direct TV works off of one satellite and Dish Network works off of two satellites, the second satellite is for local channels.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:08 AM   #4

Directv

I have Directv and when I got HD at home I asked them if I could take the standard receiver with me in my RV. The answer is yes. I have a Kingdome semi automatic dish and I receive all my subscribed & local channels standard definition channels from one satellite. When I travel farther away from home I lose access to the locals. Directv will turn me on and off when I need service.
I had Dish Network and had to rotate and tilt to two satellites to receive all my subscribed channels.
I hope this helps.
Frank
Old 10-06-2008, 08:12 AM   #5

P.S. If you need HDTV in your RV my installer says they get signals from 5 satellites.. The dish on my house has 3 single LNB an 1 dual LNB.
Frank
Old 10-06-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
2x Forest River Owner

Dish Network has pre-paid sat programs

Info can be found here:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/o...id/index.shtml

I used this in our pop-up (yes, I had sat TV in my pop-up) and it worked great. It's about $30 for 30 days. The clock starts ticking as soon as you activate the pre-paid "card" that you can buy at radio shack.

Waitin' for the weekend!

2007 Chevy Silverado
2009 Salem 27RBS Travel Trailer
Formerly camped in a 2007 Flagstaff 228D Pop-Up
naganthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #7

Also be aware that from what I have been able to find out on the net, after the change to HD both Direct and Dish will be putting their HD programming on sattelites that the domes can't receive. Which is why I went with the Travller dish from Winegard, others are available that are similar. If HD isn't important to you then no problem.
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
ATV Junkie

I've been checking around and found a couple decent ideas.

1) I can purchase the hardware (reciever, etc.) - NOT opt for a contract and just pay a monthly. Advantage is that I pay as I use. Disadvantage: If the hardware pewps the bed, I'm responsible.

2) I can do the pay as you go route. Advantage: I lease the hardware, no responsibility. Disadvantage: I'm on a contract and locked in.

I like both of them, but I'm not digging being locked in a contract. I'm not terribly concerned with HD although it would be nice. I mainly want this for my wife. She don't mind and sometimes insist that she stay at camp to relax and read a book/watch TV. This happens when the conditions are not real good outside or I'm invited to ride with the fella's in harsh or night rides.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
2x Forest River Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog66 View Post
I've been checking around and found a couple decent ideas.

1) I can purchase the hardware (reciever, etc.) - NOT opt for a contract and just pay a monthly. Advantage is that I pay as I use. Disadvantage: If the hardware pewps the bed, I'm responsible.

2) I can do the pay as you go route. Advantage: I lease the hardware, no responsibility. Disadvantage: I'm on a contract and locked in.

I like both of them, but I'm not digging being locked in a contract. I'm not terribly concerned with HD although it would be nice. I mainly want this for my wife. She don't mind and sometimes insist that she stay at camp to relax and read a book/watch TV. This happens when the conditions are not real good outside or I'm invited to ride with the fella's in harsh or night rides.

Pay as you go does not require that you lease the equipment. I bought mine at Radio Shack for about $70. This was for the dish, reciever, remote and most of the wires.

Waitin' for the weekend!

2007 Chevy Silverado
2009 Salem 27RBS Travel Trailer
Formerly camped in a 2007 Flagstaff 228D Pop-Up
naganthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:40 PM   #10

I have always owned my own equipment and Dish Network has always replaced my equipment for free when it has crapped out. In about 7 years with them I have been through about 3 receivers and all were replaced for free, the last one was a plain old receiver and they replaced it with a DVR!!!! Nice! I just got a letter from them that one of my receivers needed to be replaced to insure reception after the change over this next year, they are replacing that one free too! So, no, you don't have to worry if you're "owned" receiver goes TU on you, at least not with Dish Network.
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:13 PM   #11
ATV Junkie

I found another option. My business partner is on Dish. I think we can add another reciever to his contract.

If that's the case then I'm out 10 bucks a month. Even though I'd probably just offer to pay 1/2 of the cost up front for his troubles. Or even just give him a couple hunderd bucks for the year.

Still leaving my options open. I really want to just get network and sport channles - the wife just wants atleast one movie channle.
1966 A-Code Mustang Coupe. Many Mods. (sold)
2006 Arctic Cat 650H1 - Many Mods.
2007 Suzuki Vinson 500. Many Mods.
3 Dogs.
Sampson: 1999-2009. R.I.P buddy. See you on the other side.

28 Nights in -'09.