Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2016, 07:44 PM   #21

My wife and I have DirecTv at home and on the TT. At home we have the Genie HD tv all the bells and whistles, but on the TT we're happy with SD. We use King Quest and an old receiver. We just activated the receiver named it "RV" , go into menu then satellite setup, type in the zip code of the campground and I get the azimuth (compass reading), point the dish into that direction(with a clear line of sight of course) and I'm done. It takes about 5 minutes. Once the season is done we deactivate the receiver.

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5'7" Bed
4 X 4 Engine 5.7L Hemi Gear 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W Windjammer (Diamond Package)
Husky Centerline WDH
ov845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post

Many can live without HD. If so, DISH is the ticket
Are you saying DISH portables have no HD? If so, you are wrong. And I don't know how accurate all that is about satellite spacing causing problems. Our dish tailgater usually has no problem picking up all the channels while our friends with direct are cussing and moving their auto sat dish around trying to get a particular channel. Also they cuss directs customer service constantly. So, a different experience from you pretty much all the way around
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
When you call for local channels to be added select technical support. I do not have any issues with getting local channels when doing that. Every individual that I have requested to add local channels are quite familiar with the request for my tailgater no matter their location.
Thanks so much for the info about "online chat" !!
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
TheLarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
Try Chat

Every time we move I get online and go to Tech Support Chat and tell them we are traveling in our RV and we need to change our service address to whatever the address is of where we are at, I've found if you give them a complete address it works better.

I also tell then I do not want to change my billing address.

Since we have started doing it this way it works easily 9 out of 10 times.
Thanks for the info about "online chat"!!
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
TheLarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:48 PM   #25
code.org

Love my DISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Are you saying DISH portables have no HD? If so, you are wrong. And I don't know how accurate all that is about satellite spacing causing problems. Our dish tailgater usually has no problem picking up all the channels while our friends with direct are cussing and moving their auto sat dish around trying to get a particular channel. Also they cuss directs customer service constantly. So, a different experience from you pretty much all the way around
X2

I initially tried to go with DirectTV, but after hours at the AT&T store and on the phone with DirectTV, I gave up and decided to go with DISH. The DishForMyRV people were clear and knowledgeable and the setup was quick and smooth. I love the MANY HD channels and my Pathway X2 dish. I continue to be impressed with the incredible picture we are getting.
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:54 PM   #26

Quote:
No. That was a brain .......disease...... mistake....... error...

DISH has automatic HD. Direct TV does not have automatic HD. So, I meant if you don't need HD, then an automatic dish with Direct is ok.

Screwed that up. Sorry.

But neither customer service is good. DISH is overseas. Or it was for me. I had more issues with "pay as you go" than you can imagine. I even tried it 3 times, because folks (like you) kept saying "You're doing something wrong, it's great". It wasn't. Every time I tried to not pay for a month, they canceled. I couldn't 'suspend' because that was for 6 months at a time. I could not make DISH do a one month on, one month off, one month on, one month off, etc.......no matter what I tried. I got folks that said "OH, I can make that happen". Next month, I'd be cancelled. No online access, account gone, poof. That just got old.

I do hope that some day two things happen.........one is that enough folks get into camping that one of these guys offer true monthly on/off service, and that Direct comes up with a portable automatic HD dish.

But the part about how the automatic dish operates on DISH is correct.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:45 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
No. That was a brain .......disease...... mistake....... error...

DISH has automatic HD. Direct TV does not have automatic HD. So, I meant if you don't need HD, then an automatic dish with Direct is ok.

Screwed that up. Sorry.

But neither customer service is good. DISH is overseas. Or it was for me. I had more issues with "pay as you go" than you can imagine. I even tried it 3 times, because folks (like you) kept saying "You're doing something wrong, it's great". It wasn't. Every time I tried to not pay for a month, they canceled. I couldn't 'suspend' because that was for 6 months at a time. I could not make DISH do a one month on, one month off, one month on, one month off, etc.......no matter what I tried. I got folks that said "OH, I can make that happen". Next month, I'd be cancelled. No online access, account gone, poof. That just got old.

I do hope that some day two things happen.........one is that enough folks get into camping that one of these guys offer true monthly on/off service, and that Direct comes up with a portable automatic HD dish.

But the part about how the automatic dish operates on DISH is correct.
Ah... No worries, I get that brain disease quite often myself. And agree, neither company has great customer service, and both could greatly improve their product in general. I have heard a lot of folks complain about the dish pay as you go. I never used it as we are always going. I think the only thing direct has over dish currently is their football package, NFL Sunday Ticket. Happy camping!!!
Old 09-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #28

Thanks for all of the info. Will have to stay with Direct as that is what I have at home.
rgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:43 PM   #29

I use the Direct receiver that I have at home. When I had Dish I had to talk to customer service a lot but now I never have any need to call customer service now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:58 PM   #30
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I use the Direct receiver that I have at home. When I had Dish I had to talk to customer service a lot but now I never have any need to call customer service now.

That's what I do as well. I have two DirecTV DVR's and a regular receiver. Depending on how long we might be out, we can take one of the DVR's with lots of recorded content or just the regular receiver and watch live TV.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I use the DISH receiver that I have at home. I never have any need to call DIRECT customer service.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I use the DISH receiver that I have at home. I never have any need to call DIRECT customer service.
We do the same thing. BUT, if you are more than 150 to 200 miles from home and want to watch local channels (the big 4 networks) you have to call them to switch the zip code to get that areas locals. If you are in a metro area you can sometimes get the big 4 over the air, but it's a pain to switch back and forth. Now why they don't let you change the service address for locals and reset the connection from their webpages I don't understand.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:26 PM   #33

Quote:
We do the same thing. BUT, if you are more than 150 to 200 miles from home and want to watch local channels (the big 4 networks) you have to call them to switch the zip code to get that areas locals. If you are in a metro area you can sometimes get the big 4 over the air, but it's a pain to switch back and forth. Now why they don't let you change the service address for locals and reset the connection from their webpages I don't understand.
My guess is that all local channels come on a 'spot beam', which is not the same transponder all the time.

Just a guess.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite