Old 07-25-2015, 08:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bums View Post
Great idea on your mounting solutions D LBRS. Do you happen to know how sensitive satellites reception is to coach movement (walking, wind...what have you)?

I'm on my first trip with my ladder mount system. 4 days in (Carrabelle, FL) and I have had no issues with wind or other movement in the RV. I've used it several times on the tripod sitting on the roof without issue as well. I'd say it is pretty tolerant. There is probably some information available regarding the angle tolerance for the antenna that could be used to back out what it would take to knock it off its lock but I haven't dove into it that deep. I saw this idea from other folks on the web and just went with it.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:07 AM   #12

Dish at home so no-brainer for the TT at $7 a month. I've been extremely happy with the service for the last two years. Though it can be a challenge if I don't use it for a few weeks and need to call to reset the service. Usually I get a customer service person who wants to follow a troubleshoot script rather than just send a reset signal to the box. Patience is a virtue I'm told. Made my own Winegard Pathway X1 mount using the TT ladder. It's here at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/997507...57651262457857

Old 07-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #13

The ladder mount looks fantastic!

I keep wondering about how often reception would be available if one had the portable unit versus a fixed mount on the Motorhome. Clearly my lack of experience is shining through, but my ignorance leads me to think that if blockage of satellite line of site exists related to trees and the like it would be the case in the general area even with a portable antenna? Insights on this would be most appreciated.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bums View Post
The ladder mount looks fantastic!

I keep wondering about how often reception would be available if one had the portable unit versus a fixed mount on the Motorhome.
Both "D LBRS" and I have the same idea; get height on the Dish over fellow campers but at least in my case, to also dissuade possible thieves. I'm still nimble enough to put the Dish up when I reach my destination and store it before I head home. But there is really no reason why I couldn't leave it up there. I also have the Winegard TR-1518 Carryout Tripod Mount and 100' of cable when I do need to move the Dish to an open area. Best of both worlds.....
Old 07-26-2015, 04:15 PM   #15

Portable unit

Each is good in there own way. High theft vs no theft. Tree blockage, vs, open view with portable. With 100 ft of cable, need 100 ft of heavy chain and cut resistant lock! Portables cannot be on the ground in rain with pooling...
Often the view is soooo blocked, you get nuttin whatever you do; ie; Hanna Park in Mayport, Florida. Jungle of dense trees preclude any signal getting through.
There seems to be no great solution!
DVD's; a good book and ice cold beer!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:21 PM   #16

Recovered enough from my last attempt to get straight answers from both Dish and Direct.....I must have been drinking....! Literally spend nearly 4 hours communicating with Dish today trying to learn my options (even was willing to consider leaving Verizon Fios in the house....love them). The end of the day, they lied (repeatedly), offered better deals if I allowed to run credit (ours is better than 800) to get better pricing....

So on to Direct....only an hour with them to learn they don't have the information to answer the questions about their internet partner (guess who....Verizon). Called Verizon and they want to charge me ~65/month for internet....this time they must of thought I was drinking.

Did buy the antenna Mission in-motion RT4000T for roof mount....thank you to someone above that made it easy....when it does not work, we will not use it....simple hey.....

So, when I get energy again, I will try to figure out how to get straight answers from Dish or Direct......both are slippery folks from all I can tell.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:57 PM   #17

der beach bum, this is just suggestion. I couldn't get anywhere with direct. they out and out lied. but that is another story. I ended contacting an independent satellite company that installs satellite equipment in rv's. I had a tremendously great experience with the company I used. he set up the direct tv account, ordered the equipment, delivered the equipment, and provided phone support when I took the equipment to the rv to install it. I suspect there are similar companies located across the country. these guys understand rv's, satellites, electronics, etc and they serve as the interface between you and the providers (dish / direct). direct quite simply has a policy that they WILL NOT accept or support an account the is an rv only. right now I am watching a show from direct on the tv and we have the dvr recording a couple of other shows. we do not have a residential direct tv account, rv only.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
der beach bum, this is just suggestion. I couldn't get anywhere with direct. they out and out lied. but that is another story. I ended contacting an independent satellite company that installs satellite equipment in rv's. I had a tremendously great experience with the company I used. he set up the direct tv account, ordered the equipment, delivered the equipment, and provided phone support when I took the equipment to the rv to install it. I suspect there are similar companies located across the country. these guys understand rv's, satellites, electronics, etc and they serve as the interface between you and the providers (dish / direct). direct quite simply has a policy that they WILL NOT accept or support an account the is an rv only. right now I am watching a show from direct on the tv and we have the dvr recording a couple of other shows. we do not have a residential direct tv account, rv only.
ChickDoe, we are neighbors....in that we are in Manhattan Beach. Who did you use to assist? Thank you
Old 07-29-2015, 07:15 PM   #19

a company named 'rv satellite systems' in Anaheim (714)630-7276. the proprietor's name is Robert. he represents both direct tv and dish tv. we found him to be absolutely wonderful as he got the direct tv system up and running where direct tv just won't lift a finger to help. he serves the entire southern calif area. www.rvsatellite.com
Old 07-29-2015, 10:22 PM   #20

Thank you. We will be calling them in the morning.

Tags
satellite