Old 07-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #1

Satellite and Providers....again...urghhh!

I believe I have read most of the posts associated with Satellite Antennas and Service Providers on the forum. Our experience with the Antenna folks has been positive as they answer the questions asked clearly.....we still have more questions though.

Our experience with the service providers are everything but helpful. Near two full days trying to get basic confirmed information and we are still chasing our tail.

We will be picking up our 2016 FRF 2401W MBS on the 3rd of August. We will then be traversing the country for most of the next 4.5 months so storage space will be at a premium.

Antenna: current thought is a Winegard In-Motion RT4000T (roof mounted of course). Also like the thought of the auto synching portable units, but the trade off is storage space when not in use and of course no ability to use while moving down the road (nice but not a show stopper). Thoughts and experience would be greatly appreciated. Amongst our primary concerns for the fixed roof mount is being obstructed for reception. So a) how often are you obstructed and b) if you had a portable unit would you have still be blocked? Other thoughts?

Service Providers....HELPPPPPPP....possibly just our (un)lucky draws, however, every person (easily 12 folks) we have been bounced around to has a different, and always incomplete, answers. If I had hair, I would have pulled it out! For our first trip we will traverse from West Coast to the New England States, down to the Florida Keys and then back West (no set arrival times or exacting locations...just retired and I have had a career based on the requirement of those). We do NOT (do not believe it available related to obstruction...and unwilling to pay for a contract just to find out..) home Satellite. We simply want the best coverage available, SEC Channel is a must (as well as a good variety of other channels), HD and would prefer to spend the least amount of money over time to receive them.

The little we 'think' we have learned:
Dish: Pay as you go monthly in advance: 64.99, + Tax, + receiver 7.00/per. No package or other incentive discounts available. The plus is if you are not using for longer periods, you simply don't pay and account is suspended. The folks I spoke to would not, in anyway, allow for a two year contract with associated discounts and promos for a "motorhome". Rcvd so much conflicting information as to channel package details (channels, HD channels, even price....) we are far from sure what we would actually get at the detailed level if we signed up.

DirecTV: 2 year contract requirement: 1st year (our desired package) 29.99/month and second year 70.00/month, plus tax, plus 6.50 receiver/per each. New Winegard would qualify us for an additional 150.00 rebate from Direct TV.

Would appreciate all insights or clarifications....need to make a decision by next week. Thank you

Old 07-24-2015, 08:23 PM   #2

I do not have hair nor fingernails after trying to research this! we went with direct tv as our dealer installed a winegard travell'r antenna for free to incentivize us to buy the trailer (must have worked). direct tv was absolutely zero help getting the equipment and service ordered for an rv nor have they been of any help with any problems I have had. mention the word rv and they same they cannot help! for example, try to get their remote programmed to also control a furrion tv. we got the direct tv equipment and service from a separate company called rv satellite systems in Anaheim California. the owner (Robert) couldn't have been nicer and most helpful so we finally got it all up and working. we have the genie dvr receiver and a couple of wireless mini-genies. they up the monthly bill a bit. but the wife likes to record movies on the genie DVR and view them during those times we do not have a satellite connection. please note, some rv parks have trees that interfere with the roof mounted antenna.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:34 PM   #3

Satellite and Providers....again...urghhh!

I've been with Dish for a while. We have the Hopper at the house and really like it. When we added the tailgater to the bill with a 211k it was only for the extra receiver. Our package at the house is the biggest package with all of the movie channels. It all transfers to the tailgater and I even take our receiver to our fish camp in Louisiana with a standard permanent dish. The biggest thing with Dish is when the first person answers for customer service, say something really complicated so they will forward you to the tailgater/RV bunch. Most of the people in that department are actually pretty sharp.

I can imagine with both companies not having a home account would be a pain. Dish has always come thru for us whether at the house or a mishap with the tailgater. Our billing has been correct for the months that the 211k hasn't been powered up.

When we set up the 211k with dish it was thru a different department and was actually fairly painless. Check out dishformyrv.com. That is Dish Networks RV site.

We added wifi digital audio/video boxes at each TV in our TH so we can broadcast the satellite picture and sound to our 4 TVs without cables. Works like a champ outside to only have to worry about power for the TV and the wifi receiver.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
I do not have hair nor fingernails after trying to research this! we went with direct tv as our dealer installed a winegard travell'r antenna for free to incentivize us to buy the trailer (must have worked). direct tv was absolutely zero help getting the equipment and service ordered for an rv nor have they been of any help with any problems I have had. mention the word rv and they same they cannot help! for example, try to get their remote programmed to also control a furrion tv. we got the direct tv equipment and service from a separate company called rv satellite systems in Anaheim California. the owner (Robert) couldn't have been nicer and most helpful so we finally got it all up and working. we have the genie dvr receiver and a couple of wireless mini-genies. they up the monthly bill a bit. but the wife likes to record movies on the genie DVR and view them during those times we do not have a satellite connection. please note, some rv parks have trees that interfere with the roof mounted antenna.
We are near neighbors....we are Manhattan Beach. Sure hope to have all of this figured out soon.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgold View Post
I've been with Dish for a while. We have the Hopper at the house and really like it. When we added the tailgater to the bill with a 211k it was only for the extra receiver. Our package at the house is the biggest package with all of the movie channels. It all transfers to the tailgater and I even take our receiver to our fish camp in Louisiana with a standard permanent dish. The biggest thing with Dish is when the first person answers for customer service, say something really complicated so they will forward you to the tailgater/RV bunch. Most of the people in that department are actually pretty sharp.

I can imagine with both companies not having a home account would be a pain. Dish has always come thru for us whether at the house or a mishap with the tailgater. Our billing has been correct for the months that the 211k hasn't been powered up.

When we set up the 211k with dish it was thru a different department and was actually fairly painless. Check out dishformyrv.com. That is Dish Networks RV site.

We added wifi digital audio/video boxes at each TV in our TH so we can broadcast the satellite picture and sound to our 4 TVs without cables. Works like a champ outside to only have to worry about power for the TV and the wifi receiver.
How often is there a problem that impacts your ability to receive/view (not talking about obstruction). THank you
Old 07-24-2015, 09:20 PM   #6

If we call before we go camping.. Hardly ever. If we go camping and I forget to call them.. All the time.

Not sure how DTV does it but Dish will only pick up locals if you call them and tell them where you are going to be. Our home locals will work for about a 100 mile radius from the house. Once we cross that "line" we call and tell them while en route and the do their thing. Once we get to site we fire everything up and it works prob 9 out of 10 times.

The 211k after about a month will go blank and I have to call in and have them activate it. If we used it more, it wouldn't happen. It just sits dormant too long not connected to power and I think the data gets lost.

Only real problem I ever seem to have lately is coax cables. Which I am reconfiguring our TH with a direct feed to outside for the dish. That's a whole other story...
Old 07-25-2015, 09:01 AM   #7

I had Tailgater. Returned it! First time I ever bought a return warranty at point if purchase! Bought Winegard Pathways x2 automatic, use DISH. Works fine. But as you might expect, DISH can be a PITA with the inexperienced personnel on initial call! I bought and own 2 compatible receivers (211z). Yes, invariably need to call for locals every move! No, do not have DISH at home. (COMCAST).
I use cable at EVERY campground offering it, period! I simply stow the sattelite dish in the shower when traveling! (On a beach towel). Never an issue. The royal pain is syncing 2 receivers to get all channels. So, I generally get the LR up and going as I set up. The flexibility is good at placing the dish in a southern exposure location. I have both choices, 25 and 50ft co ax.
I bought the stand, ez assemble, 2 mins, to keep dish out of heavy rain puddling and it has an anchor for wind. Very simple.
I would rate the whole kit and ka boodle as simply "acceptable".
Plenty of big motorhomes come to our mountain resort ( no cable there)
And have a lot if difficulty with in motion systems. Guy near me has a $400,000 Anthem MH and he put up a Direct TV pole and dish out of frustration.
Here is the REAL, correct, solution!
Get a beverage of choice; good book, comfortable chair and soft background music! Relax and skip all this tv addiction. ( 😁 I am almost there ).
Old 07-25-2015, 11:44 AM   #8

We went with the Winegard Pathway X1 with the portable tripod. I then built/attached a pole-mount to the bottom of the tripod base plate. It allows me to mount the antenna to my ladder with a Flagpole Buddy or put the tripod legs on and reposition to find a clear spot.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1437838873.412265.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	84111
Winegard also offers a permanent roof-mount kit. With some head scratching you could figure out a way to make it not permanent. That way you can travel with it mount to the roof and if you get to a spot where the roof location doesn't get a signal you can detach and move it to a tripod.
For service provider, we just added another receiver to our home Dish account for $7 a month. We can call dish when we relocate to give them an updated zip code to get local channels.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:40 PM   #9

Thank you SilverbackMel. Where all of your advice is most helpful...none more than your last. Left out that were we are fit and mobile and love to explore on foot, run, climb....etc. We are brining my parents for a long as they desire and where they are an absolute blast, they are not quite as mobile (I hope I am not quite as mobile in my mid 80s) and do enjoy TV....especially sports....so, want to assure they have what they desire for this very special trip.

Love the shower for storage idea.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:43 PM   #10

Great idea on your mounting solutions D LBRS. Do you happen to know how sensitive satellites reception is to coach movement (walking, wind...what have you)?

Tags
satellite