Old 02-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #1

Satellite dish mounted on trailer?

Hello all , My wife an I have just bought a new HTT Roo and are wondering if anyone has ever mounted a satellite to the trailer in anyway? I know there are tripods and the custom ground mounts, but I want something less likely to walk away, as well as to reach over the trailer itself. It would need to be assembled and removed each trip. I also do not have a ladder attached to the trailer, but do have a stand alone ladder to reach the roof. I'm just looking to see what others have done, suggestions are welcome as well but if its been done before, that's where the real information is! Thanks!

Old 02-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibullsAN View Post
Hello all , My wife an I have just bought a new HTT Roo and are wondering if anyone has ever mounted a satellite to the trailer in anyway? I know there are tripods and the custom ground mounts, but I want something less likely to walk away, as well as to reach over the trailer itself. It would need to be assembled and removed each trip. I also do not have a ladder attached to the trailer, but do have a stand alone ladder to reach the roof. I'm just looking to see what others have done, suggestions are welcome as well but if its been done before, that's where the real information is! Thanks!
The problem I see with mounting it permanent is your line of sight can be affected by tree's that you may have to move sites to get a signal and even then your very limited in adjustability.
You have way more flexibility with a mobile satellite.
Just my opinion of course.

TURBS

oc's buddy

Old 02-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #3

Anyone have any thoughts on these? Whether I make my own or buy one... The U bolts are only ~$4 from McMaster so I can make a 2 U-bolt one that spreads the load across the bumper for stability, but there is still the pull /twist of the bumper backwards. Sooo... I was thinking that maybe at the top I attach the pole to the trailer with the second picture below (obviously I wouldn't get orange )..... a suction cup to help support but not take the full weight. I'm very handy and like to try new things, let me know your thoughts!

Old 02-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #4

I have a tailgater portable satellite that can mount to the ladder of an RV along with the receiver. I got it new a year ago from some of my kids but have not opened or used it. Probably won't. I am not a fan of television especially when camping.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:29 AM   #5

Tailgater portable has a ladder mount system. There are ones that replace your crank up antenna with a combination sat reciever and antenna, or you can get a stationary auto tracking thats permanently mounted.

I had the same discussion with my dealer when I bought my sanibel. It comes down to while there can be trees, most of the places I stay at it was not an issue with my old bus and a stationary auto tracking unit, so id like it on the 5er as well. So far I have only stayed at one location where line of sight was an issue, and even those with portable units could not find a signal due to the dense canopy.

And while on most weekend trips TV is the last thing I watch, I still leave it on during the day for the dogs as white noise, and enjoy settling down after a long day of "stuff" before bed.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #6

I'm not a fan about mounting a sat dish on my TT for the reasons listed above. The link shows what I use. I have SD receivers so locating the sat is easy. If you have HD or multiple LMB's it may be a little more difficult. So far, 10 years, I have not had a problem with my sat dish walking away or even being disturbed. Hope this helps.

sat
Old 02-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

i also would never drill into my Roo's roof, to put a sat. dish on it.

one, because it's hard enough to keep the roof sealed from water intrusion, without adding more holes.
two, a portable sat dish gives you the ability to move it to get a better signal, whereas a permanently mounted one, would possibly have issues in a forested campsite.
three, tv is not that important to us, since we "camp" with our Roo, instead of "RV'ing" with our Roo. we rarely watch tv and if we do, we watch dvd's or use the roof antenna for local tv stations.

when we retire and become snowbirds and RV'ers, then a sat dish will be something we'll look at, since we'll be on the road for 1-3 months at a time.
but we won't keep the Roo for that lifestyle.
and we would still prefer the portable dish over mounting one on the roof.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #8

We have had a portable satellite for several years. At first I worried that it might drive away but it never happened. We live in Mississippi so a portable is a must due to the number of trees we have. We have camped all across the country with no problem.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #9

One thing to add if you have one installed on the roof you still will have to carry a portable one for the times you are under trees

Tags
mount, satellite, trailer