Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2017, 07:51 AM   #1

Satellite TV (DirecTv)

I was trying to figure out some information about this, but haven't found quite what I'm searching for. Maybe some people with DirecTv can help me out (If you use Dish, Id like to hear from you as well, there may be many similarities). I'm just trying to understand, in the simplest, most Sesame Street way possible, how it works. I am a DirecTv customer at home (its solely because I grew up in MA and now live in MD and its the only way to get all the Patriots games). Anyways, how does it work? Some of the things I know are, I need to buy one of those RV DirecTv dishes, and I need a box inside my trailer. But what I don't know is:
-Can I use a box from my house, or do I need another box?
-If I need another box, how much is that (I've seen the dish for $600+, crazy money).
-Is there a monthly fee to have the service away from my residence?
-Is it possible to get reception in the woods, or am I wasting my time if there isn't a field/clearing?

Now that I got those questions out of the way, lets move forward to assume I have the service and dish and box, etc.
-When I get to my destination, its as simple as powering it up and I have all the services, etc that I enjoy at home?
-Does the dish find the signal automatically?

I have some thoughts and guesses and some "probably know the answer" as well, but figured if there are people on the forum that have the service, use the service, etc, I could get some real first hand information about it, how expensive it is, is it worth the cost, etc.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:01 AM   #2

I have Direct and use it while camping (for now). I can answer your questions. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

You can take a box from your house, on one condition. IF you have the Genie at home, you can't take one of the Client boxes only. Client boxes require a Main Box to work over wireless connection. IF you have another box like an H24 for example (that's what I have), then I simply unplug it from the house and carry it with me in the trailer.

I also have a farm we visit on occasion and I take the same box there too.

Of course, you need a physical Dish to make it all work. There are several kinds, and the remaining info is dependent on whether you want HD tv or can live with SD. I require HD.

HD requires a Slimline type dish and a SwM splitter/repeater in the cable line. I have a tripod I got from these folks:
All Products
because I can level the tripod and I can't find another that lets me level, which really helps. This guy is good and will help you if you call him.

SO.....you need the following for HD tv in the camper:
HD tv of course
Slimline Dish
HD type LNB (I have LNB5, an LNB3 works)
SwM splitter/repeater (even if only one tv is used)
Tripod or homemade device to put the dish on
HD receiver you lease from Direct (bring one from home is cheapest)
RG6 cabling as required, and F-connectors, fittings, etc

Then you have to have a connection directly from the dish outside to the receiver inside, with the SwM repeater in the loop somewhere. I put mine in the bay where the outside cable connects to the RV. That may require you to 'tone out' the provided cabling, and as a last resort you can run a cable through the window. The cable has to be direct from Dish outside to receiver, without a booster in the line.

I use the Satlook Lite meter to help me find a satellite. It has made a huge difference in my frustration. I use Dishpointer Pro app on my phone to get started, find the general direction of the satellites.

I find a spot with the app where I have an unobstructed view of the Direct Satellites (99, 101, 103) and put the tripod there. I anchor mine down with a spike. I then mount the dish, insert the LNB, and plug up the Satlook meter. When the meter says 'FOUND' I lock the dish down and unplug meter, replug to the house wiring, and go inside and turn on the H24 receiver and wait for it to IPL. If everything was done right, I get tv.

There is no AUTOMATIC dish for Direct that is HD except the Winegard Travl'r that mounts on the roof, at about two grand cost. There IS automatic dishes for Direct if you only want SD tv.

There IS an automatic dish for DISH TV that is HD. I am considering switching all 3 of my locations to DISH just for that reason.

Let me know if there are more questions.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:10 AM   #3

I used to live in New Orleans, with a weekend home in Texas (now retired there.) I picked up an old dish and a separate receiver for me home in NO ($5 a month) and installed it at the home in Texas, assuming the local channels it was programmed for in NO would also be what I received in TX. However I could not receive any local channels in Texas. I found this was because the New Orleans local channels were on a satellite that was not visible 500 miles west in Texas. I received the cable channels fine, but none of the major networks that are on local channels.

Edit: I don't have a satellite system in my travel trailer.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:10 AM   #4

Thanks for the info BandJCarm. That definitely gets me in the right direction for deciding if I want to go this route. I do have a Genie at home, so I'm glad you mentioned that specific aspect

Old 09-21-2017, 08:12 AM   #5

You CAN take the Genie main box, it will work fine. In fact, if I stay with Direct, I'll probably start taking my Genie main box AND a client, so I can watch TV in the bedroom too. I do that now, but only via OTA in bedroom.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 09-21-2017, 08:15 AM   #6

OK, as to the local channels........you CAN call Direct (Or DISH, whichever) and get them to change to send you the local channels where you are at that time, through the satellite receiver. I find that a lot of unnecessary talk with some guy in New Delhi. I just turn SOURCE on the tv remote to "TV" and voila, I have whatever local channels I can get OTA. Turn it back to "HDMI1" and voila, I'm back to satellite. All from my chair.

IF I am too far from any OTA signals, oh well. I can usually find at least ONE local channel or TWO, so at least I can find out if they bombed Omaha or something......

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 09-21-2017, 08:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
I was trying to figure out some information about this, but haven't found quite what I'm searching for. Maybe some people with DirecTv can help me out (If you use Dish, Id like to hear from you as well, there may be many similarities). I'm just trying to understand, in the simplest, most Sesame Street way possible, how it works. I am a DirecTv customer at home (its solely because I grew up in MA and now live in MD and its the only way to get all the Patriots games). Anyways, how does it work? Some of the things I know are, I need to buy one of those RV DirecTv dishes, and I need a box inside my trailer. But what I don't know is:
-Can I use a box from my house, or do I need another box?
Yes, with DirecTV, you can use what you already have in the house. But just know that DirecTV is not nearly as "rv friendly" as Dish network is.

Quote:
-Is there a monthly fee to have the service away from my residence?
Since your already using your DirecTV S&B receiver, there is no additional cost other than whatever dish setup your planning on using. But if you use a different dish setup than what you have at home, it will require you to reconfigure your receivers everytime you move them between the RV and home.

Quote:
-Is it possible to get reception in the woods, or am I wasting my time if there isn't a field/clearing?
In order to get a reliable signal, you must have a clear view of the southern sky somewhat nearby. We camp on a wooded lot but I was able to find a small opening in the canopy about 50' from our spot and place my dish there. But with full cover, no dish solution, carryout or tripod, will work very well, if at all. Things like tree cover, clouds, rain, etc. all affect signal strength.

Quote:
Now that I got those questions out of the way, lets move forward to assume I have the service and dish and box, etc.

-When I get to my destination, its as simple as powering it up and I have all the services, etc that I enjoy at home?
With DirecTV, the ONLY HD, auto setup, "push a button" solution is a Winegard Travl'er which will be mounted to the roof of your RV and will run about 2 grand after installation. The "next best" AUTOMATIC solution are the carryouts or domed portable dishes. They are very convenient, but somewhat costly as well and with DirecTV, you only get SD, no HD and some of the premium channels will NOT be available. Finally, there is a tripod setup that can give you HD like at home and is the least expensive of the bunch, but does require you to manually set it all up and aimed each time. It's not difficult, but it's not "turnkey" either. And one other thing, depending on how far you are from your home, you may not be able to get your local channels either from DirecTV. Locals are broadcast via what is called a "spot beam", and once outside, or near the fringe, you lose your local channels as well. The only way around that is to call DirecTV and request a "service address" change while your away.

Quote:
-Does the dish find the signal automatically?
See above.

Quote:
I have some thoughts and guesses and some "probably know the answer" as well, but figured if there are people on the forum that have the service, use the service, etc, I could get some real first hand information about it, how expensive it is, is it worth the cost, etc.
If I were of the ilk that camped for short stays (weekends, overnights, etc.), I would probably look at getting Dish Network with a carryout. That gives you HD, no real setup other than connecting everything, and turning it on. You can also "pay as you go" on a monthly basis. but you do have to purchase your equipment up front.

But given that I already have DirecTV, am a "seasonal" camper, and usually stay in one spot for weeks or months at a time, I use a DirecTV tripod setup that mirrors what I have on the roof at home, take a couple of the receivers I have from the house, and call DirecTV to change my "service address" if I am unable to get locals via the roof antenna and are outside my spot beam. I am considering on purchasing a carryout for DirecTV to use while we are travelling between seasonal sites but if I am a REALLY GOOD BOY, I am hoping the DW will write the check for a Travl'er. All it will probably take is for her to miss her soaps a couple days in a row!!
blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:25 AM   #8

FYI, local channels for all providers is done via a 'Spot Beam'. Think of a cone that hits an area where the local channels originate via OTA. That cone is not unlimited. If you move outside the cone, you ARE inside another locations cone, and thus their local channels. But those channels are not in your 'package' you're paying for, so you have to call them to temporarily change it.

I still think just changing 'Source' is way easier.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 09-21-2017, 08:30 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Just to add (in the most Sesame Street kind of way) to what has already been mentioned...

I have DirecTV at home.
I take different boxes from home with us in the R/V.
We have a Genie which we sometimes take.
We sometimes take the slave (mini Genie) as well to add a 2nd TV to the bedroom.
And finally I sometimes just take my HR22 receiver from the garage. (I've had this receiver for years)

I placed an ad in our local paper in the 'bargain' section for a Slimline dish.
I was able to get four of them at no charge from folks just looking to get rid of them.
DirecTV always lets the dish in place when you cancel service so there are LOTS of them out there... for FREE!
I built a small PVC stand for it and am able to set it up in minutes.
Dish Pointer app helps simplify the process.

If I'm within about 250 miles of home, I can still receive the 'locals.'
They are 'spot beamed' so if venturing farther than that, I don't have locals unless I would call and change my location of service.

My rig has a dedicated SAT connection so it is easy to pipe it into the 5th wheel.
Satellite won't work through typical coax splitters because of the power they pass through the cable.

Oh... and sorry Mr. NE fan.... here's my dish!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sat_dish_02.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	551.4 KB
ID:	152019  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #10

So, is that a Plastic Steel dish?

LOL

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 09-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
So, is that a Plastic Steel dish?

LOL
Only the BEST for my team!

Old 09-21-2017, 08:59 AM   #12

OH.......and I just thought of this.

DISH is an Indian company. Direct is American. However, AT&T bought Direct and I knew that would probably be the death knell for their customer service. And naturally, now the first line of defense for calling Direct is to now get someone in India. "Hello, my name is Bob. I'm in Omaha". RIIiiigghhhttt, "bob", right.

That said, many of my reasons for staying with Direct are vanishing.

I still do not like the fact that DISH uses 3 satellites that are so far apart that the portable dish has to physically move (inside the housing) to change channels. And yes, that's picky. But I'm a picky kind of guy. Specially about food.....but that's another thread.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 09-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Only the BEST for my team!
Correct answer was "This is the STEEL CURTAIN. None of those harmful and evil tv rays get past it. EVERY ONE is redirected towards the receiver".

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 09-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Correct answer was "This is the STEEL CURTAIN. None of those harmful and evil tv rays get past it. EVERY ONE is redirected towards the receiver".
LOL! That's a GREAT answer!
Go Steelers! (waving my Terrible Towel!)

Sorry to the OP for the thread drift but hey... they mentioned NE first!

Old 09-21-2017, 11:01 AM   #15

Wireless Genie's

I think I've found the best set up. I have 3 TV's on my trailer, and I have 2 wireless genies dedicated to my RV for my BR and Outdoor TV. DTV charges me an extra $7 for each (I believe?). I used heavy duty tape to secure the mini clients to the backs of the TV's.

In my BR I also have the wireless Bridge required to "broadcast" to the wireless Genies.

When I travel away from home, all I need to do is unplug my DVR from my house and then pack it up in the RV. I have a second set of connections (power, Coax, HDMI), so it's a 10 second process to unplug it from my home entertainment center and then 10 seconds to plug it into my RV at the LR TV, where the connections all come into the rig.

Then at camp, all I need to do is connect my tripod dish into the satellite coax input on the side of the RV, aim the dish (the hardest part of the process), and viola, I now have DTV on three TV's, each able to watch different channels. Set up is as little as a couple minutes to maybe 10, depending on how level you can get the tripod and your aiming ability.

The beauty of this is that you don't need to worry about the wiring within the RV. As long as your Satellite Connection from the outside to the main area inside is correct, the Wireless Bridge will take care of the rest. I've seen some schematics to get DTV in multiple TV's for an RV and you need to be a NASA Engineer to figure it out.

Full disclaimer, I've had weekends where I simply could not get a signal and I gave up. If you don't have a clear view of the right part of the sky, it just won't work. For weekend warriors like myself, this sometimes can be a problem. But, it's worth the try for me anyway. Nothing better than sitting outside at night watching a race or a ballgame under the stars!!!

Hope this helps!
csyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #16

Quote:
HD requires a Slimline type dish and a SwM splitter/repeater in the cable line. I have a tripod I got from these folks:
All Products
because I can level the tripod and I can't find another that lets me level, which really helps. This guy is good and will help you if you call him.
I got the HD combo package...
http://www.tv4rv.com/sunshop/index.p...ct_detail&p=13

great company great tripod to level and aim... been doing this same thing for 3 seasons now... after awhile you get pretty good at it... I have my setup/aim/watch to less than 15 minutes if I have a good sight line to the satellite... sometimes you have to look for a spot in the tree cover and that takes a little more time!

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #17

Yes, I got that package too. But that spiral corkscrew thingy was useless. Most ground, no way it goes in. I gave up.

So.....I got a spike from Lowe's. I don't even remember what section, I just saw it one day and a light went off. I haven't seen another one!! It has holes in it, and I put clips in there and ratchet between the tripod (AFTER leveling with bubble level on top of the mast) and the spike........and the dish stays put!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dish1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	464.8 KB
ID:	152037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dish2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	610.0 KB
ID:	152038  

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 09-21-2017, 11:36 AM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Yes, I got that package too. But that spiral corkscrew thingy was useless. Most ground, no way it goes in. I gave up.

So.....I got a spike from Lowe's. I don't even remember what section, I just saw it one day and a light went off. I haven't seen another one!! It has holes in it, and I put clips in there and ratchet between the tripod (AFTER leveling with bubble level on top of the mast) and the spike........and the dish stays put!!
It's a concrete form stake.
Used to anchor 2x6's and the like when pouring concrete.
The holes allow you to spike it to the form board once driven in.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #19

Well, I'll swan!

Y'all are so smart! Thanks!

This is it.

https://jet.com/product/detail/73ac6...f-06059e0b44ba

Still looking for the PERFECT pin to go through it...........

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 09-21-2017, 11:46 AM   #20

No problems with your dish 5picker, plenty of respect for your team. Despite the obnoxious reputation we Pats fans have (admittedly earned, lol), we aren't all ridiculous... See you in Foxboro in January for an AFCCG rematch

Tags
lite, satellite