Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2007, 08:35 PM   #1

satillite tv

Hi all,I just bought a 28 ft work and play and am having a problem trying to hook a satilite up.How does the "park cable" work?If I plug my dish in there can I just use the jack for the power antenea?I can make it work by running the cable in the trailer but that is the only way. HELP!
thumperyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:56 AM   #2

Sorry I am not far enough along as an owner to have a fix

But I do have a question. I have Directtv (hd) at home and want it also for my camper. I was wondering what the best way was to go about that. I have old dishes and receivers but I want HD does it take a different dish? I have a dish that they put in when i got my HD that had 3 LNB and I didn't know if I need all those for the hd or If they just did that because I have 3 tv's in my house. also on the HD receiver do I just call Direct TV or is there a better way to go about it.
wvsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:56 AM   #3

thumperyz,

to FRF!

There is a post similar somewhere around here to what you are asking regarding "park cable" and hooking that up. To use the park cable you will need to turn off the power amp. One of the plugs will have a switch on it with a LED indicating power. Turn the power off and the cable should work.

Now for Sat TV. Unless you have a seperate jack on the outside of the trailer indecating Sat hookup, you will have to run a seperate line for that. On the other lines (antennea and cable) there are splitters that the Sat signal will not go through. On my last rig I drilled a hole in the floor under where the TV was and stabbed a cable through it with a barrel connector on it and then put a rubber vacuum line plug over the barrel when traveling and not in use to keep it clean.

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvsteve View Post
But I do have a question. I have Directtv (hd) at home and want it also for my camper. I was wondering what the best way was to go about that. I have old dishes and receivers but I want HD does it take a different dish? I have a dish that they put in when i got my HD that had 3 LNB and I didn't know if I need all those for the hd or If they just did that because I have 3 tv's in my house. also on the HD receiver do I just call Direct TV or is there a better way to go about it.
You will need an HD dish/LNB combo to receive the HD signal. Also your trailer may not have an HD TV so it may not be worth it. If you have old dishes they may work with a current receiver but just not HD and you may be able to get the Sat while out camping.

greg
Old 07-09-2007, 08:00 AM   #5

Hi there! Gosh I'm new to all of this as well.In my case I called dish tv and told them what I wanted to do,they took it from there.It was not the cheapest way to go, but I may be a little too honest for my own good.
I just wanted to know how the park cabble thing works if I plug the cable into the "park cable where do I hook the tv up?A buddy said he had to get rid of the power antena for the satilite to work is this true?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperyz View Post
Hi there! Gosh I'm new to all of this as well.In my case I called dish tv and told them what I wanted to do,they took it from there.It was not the cheapest way to go, but I may be a little too honest for my own good.
You can get an extra dish of of ebay and take your home receiver with you on your trips.

Quote:
I just wanted to know how the park cabble thing works if I plug the cable into the "park cable where do I hook the tv up?A buddy said he had to get rid of the power antena for the satilite to work is this true?
See my above post.

greg
Old 07-09-2007, 01:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
You can get an extra dish of of ebay and take your home receiver with you on your trips.

See my above post.

greg

But I do not have satilite at home!
Old 07-09-2007, 02:12 PM   #8

Quote:
But I do not have satilite at home!
But your previous post said “If I plug my dish in there can I just use the jack for the power antenea?” so I assumed you had Sat at the house.

Quote:
Hi all,I just bought a 28 ft work and play and am having a problem trying to hook a satilite up.How does the "park cable" work?If I plug my dish in there can I just use the jack for the power antenea?I can make it work by running the cable in the trailer but that is the only way. HELP!

So what are you asking? I getting confused. But no worries, sometimes that happens.

greg
Old 07-09-2007, 08:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
But your previous post said “If I plug my dish in there can I just use the jack for the power antenea?” so I assumed you had Sat at the house.

So what are you asking? I getting confused. But no worries, sometimes that happens.

greg
OK let me see if I can fix this! In a above post someone ask the best way to get satilite for there rv,I said I just called direct tv and went through them!
I bought everything needed to put it in the rv! At home I have cable so I could not just take the recever from the house. It,s all good in the meantime thanks to you I gave up on the "park cable" and just put a new jack and line in for the dish and it works like it should!!I was thinking I could just hook up to the park cable jack and be fine,but I guess not!
thanks and hope I make sense now!