Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with your Forest River RV?
Hate it 3 1.76%
Somewhat hate it 9 5.29%
It's OK 29 17.06%
It's Great! 100 58.82%
Best RV I've ever owned 29 17.06%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #61

This being our 2nd RV (first one was a 2000 Sunnybrook 26 SKS) and this being our First 5er. I would have to say by Far this would be a 8, almost a 9.. No Big problems, just the Normal things that you fix all the time.. Light go out, Black water tank clogged ( unwanted on my part visitors ) and hard to stabelize.. But all in all, I love the layout and colors of the Sandpiper line , and havent had to take it back to the dealer once. Even after a 3000 mile trip this past summer...

Hatchet
Chevy 2500HD Diesel
07 SandPiper F305

Days camped 2011 "3" so far,
Hatchet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:27 PM   #62

Just got back from 2-week breakin campout with our new Flagstaff, and I have to give it a 9.5. Absolutely no issues, everything worked 100%. And we like the layout even more now that we have had a few rainy days to lounge. I'd give it a 10, but nothing gets a ten!
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Well my season is over and the TT has been winterized. I took 4 trips w/ it & had a great time. No towing issues for the TT newbie. Other than the odour issue after the Labour Day trip (which went away) which could happen to anyone I didn't have any trials or tribulations while camping. Oh I forgot, the original 1 micron filter plugged up during the 1st trip. Later replaced w/ a 5 micron & no water pressure problems afterwards.

If it hadn't been for the botched radio antenna coax connection to the Concertone, the trailer would've been perfect.

Before next season, I'm going to mod the water tank outlet connection to allow the pump to draw more of the tank's contents.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #64

9.5. No issues. Coach has been really good. Everything to date works. Quality (IMO) very good. Excellent support from Forest River with questions/answers Mine is new , but, I can honestly say I have not had any items that woud require a trip back to the dealer. Good product, definitely good value. I would by another FR product, no question....

Model 2011 392 QBBS Wildwood Lodge
es335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:25 PM   #65

Well we just brought our 2011 Rockwood 8280ws home a couple weeks ago and have yet to take a trip with it but have been through it thoroughly and ran everything a couple times, so far so good no issues at all. Love the floor plan, the ease with which it tows, and so far (knock on wood) everything works and is where it should be, 10/10.
gparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:53 AM   #66

I would give my Cedar Creek 5th wheel an 9.I would give Forest River a 10 so far.Had an axle problem(tires rubbing on shocks) and they replaced and repaired to my satisfaction without a problem.They replaced 1 tire with axle problem but with Ironmans that were on it.3 weeks ago I blew a tire and sent a picture to them.I have 4 brand new rims and upgraded tires on the way at no cost to me other than installing them on trailer.Mind you my unit is an 08 and out of warranty.This plus some minor finish items(excess putty around outside of windows, loose trim piece's) keep it from being a 10. We love our unit and live in it full time.
Racerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #67

Like our unit so far, the only gripes we have is with one crapped out concert tone and now one that has the video jumping up and down on the screen and static in the speakers (sorry Bob, you shouldn't poke the bear...)
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #68

I would rate our TT a 9.5. We have a 2010 Rockwood 8314BSS, we had a problem with the remote to the concertone not working, the dealer sent us a new one and all is fine. We also had a squeek in the floor near the vent, we purchased our TT from a dealer on the internet so we contacted a dealer who is about 80 mi from us and they agreed to fix the problem. We took it one day and it was ready the next. I am very pleased with the quality of my TT and I would buy a FR product again. We purchased our TT in April 2010 and we have taken a trip with it all but one month.
maconandk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #69

9 (there is no such thing as a ten unless the TT was free) Our first season has ended with our Rockwood 2901SS and we love it. No problems so far that I have not been able to fix and none major. Love the layout, space, storage, and overall quality of build and materials used. I cannot say enough good things about our local dealer as well (Labadie RV in Holland, OH). They are great to work worth and understand the meaning of taking care of the customer.

This is the biggest trailer we have ever owned and also one of the easiest to pull (of course I currently have the biggest TV I have ever owned as well).
hoffkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #70

I have one question ....

How many of us would give a TV set which came with a defective remote controller, Or a brand new house which leaked water into the garage ? Or a brand new house where the kitchen sink leaked and flooded the kitchen ? or a house where basement leaked a 9 or 9.5 or a ten ?

Would we also be fixing things on those items and say that they are minor and accept them ? I am not being sarcastic or putting anyone down. I am just wondering why we think that all those things which go wrong in a brand new unit we purchase are acceptable and we fix them and be happy. If you read all the posts on this thread, there are a lot of fixed, small complaints and very high satisfaction levels.

If my brand new ruck which cost me 42,000 dollars plus taxes let water in through the doors I would NOT touch it and demand that the dealer fix it right away. Or if the axels were bent, or tires were rubbing the fender.

Are the RV dealers getting away with murder, because we love our "toys" and enjoy fixing them and that gives us a satisfaction ?
Old 11-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
I have one question ....

How many of us would give a TV set which came with a defective remote controller, Or a brand new house which leaked water into the garage ? Or a brand new house where the kitchen sink leaked and flooded the kitchen ? or a house where basement leaked a 9 or 9.5 or a ten ?

Would we also be fixing things on those items and say that they are minor and accept them ? I am not being sarcastic or putting anyone down. I am just wondering why we think that all those things which go wrong in a brand new unit we purchase are acceptable and we fix them and be happy. If you read all the posts on this thread, there are a lot of fixed, small complaints and very high satisfaction levels.

If my brand new ruck which cost me 42,000 dollars plus taxes let water in through the doors I would NOT touch it and demand that the dealer fix it right away. Or if the axels were bent, or tires were rubbing the fender.

Are the RV dealers getting away with murder, because we love our "toys" and enjoy fixing them and that gives us a satisfaction ?
Make no mistake; it's not the RV Dealers getting away with murder.

It the manufacturers....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #72

Short answer is why not? If the manufacturer gave me a remote that does work and the TV meets expectations from there on out,or if the builder made it right with the problems and the house ended up being exactly what I expected or the RV manufacturer corrected the mistakes and everything else is just as you want.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #73

We took delivery of our new 2010 Salem 28FKDS on 9/11/10. We made a 1 week pre retirement trip then a 3 week post retirement trip...total 3000 miles of total enjoyment. We had a couple little hick ups but over all.....9 out of 10.
Except...and I have not seen this issue in any other strings here. As part of the second trip we went to Escapees Boot Camp in Livingston, Texas and as part of their rig weigh program we had a piece of paper to fill out with tow rig and trailer info.
Understand our trailer has a build date of July 2009.....we found that the tires on one side of the trailer were made in 2008....and the other side tires were made in 2010. With the idea that TT tires are good for 5 to 7 years before needing to be replaced it seems that there is a REAL issue here.
The trailer is at the dealer waiting for a few minor issues to be fixed before we park it for the winter. We hope to find out next week of any resolution of the tire issue.
BOB
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #74
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Quote:
Originally Posted by great white View Post
... (sorry Bob, you shouldn't poke the bear...)
You are a bear! I missed that - I think your fine and we are just working thru it! :-) We'll figure it out!
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #75
Anacortesians

We bought our MH (see sig) last July. So far, our only problem has been rotted out slide toppers, but this was because the original owner from whom we bought it had left it parked for over a year with the slides deployed.

Other than that, we're very pleased with it. Sure it rides like a truck, but that's because it is a truck, and an 11-tonner at that!

Bob - we don't have any Concertone gear. Everything in the entertainment system (both TVs and the in-dash stereo ) is Daewoo, who have completely abandoned the electronic entertainment business, so there's no factory support at all! If anything goes belly up, I guess we'll be replacing it with something else.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #76
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
We bought our MH (see sig) last July. So far, our only problem has been rotted out slide toppers, but this was because the original owner from whom we bought it had left it parked for over a year with the slides deployed.

Other than that, we're very pleased with it. Sure it rides like a truck, but that's because it is a truck, and an 11-tonner at that!

Bob - we don't have any Concertone gear. Everything in the entertainment system (both TVs and the in-dash stereo ) is Daewoo, who have completely abandoned the electronic entertainment business, so there's no factory support at all! If anything goes belly up, I guess we'll be replacing it with something else.
Well, even with all you read here, I HOPE you consider us when the time comes! Others will joke, but as you have seen here I am so committed to this that I picked up and moved to Elkhart, IN (and NO I did not need to, but it was the right thing to do).
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #77
Anacortesians

Yes, Bob, I will consider Concertone. Our entertainment needs are pretty basic - an AM/FM/CD in-dash radio with two front and two rear speakers and one TV set with an over-the-air antenna and a cable hook-up, DVD and VCR is about it. We aren't into home theatre systems, satellite radio, HD TV or iPods.

I'll be taking the bedroom TV out - we don't have one in the bedroom at home so why would we need one in the RV?
Old 01-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #78

Fascinating - and now i'm a bit worried

We just bought a 2011 Grey Wolf and it's our first new trailer. While I may not be expecting total perfection I'm expecting basic functionality (everything should work when new) and water tightness and road worthiness

What I'm reading here is scary as hell -why did I buy new if all these issues are considered 'normal'? Seems most don't go for warrant repairs as well, the dealer will have your trailer longer than you will.

Is this lack of quality seems to be 99% on FR - I can judge materials for myself and expect a lower grade of vinyl or cloth or thinner mattresses on the trailer I bought over one of the same general size that cost $4000 more. I can take fewer 'features' like opening or tinted windows, etc.

If the quality is really this bad how can FR still remain in business? If anything else I bought was this poorly made I'd be screamin bloody murder and telling everyone on every forum what a POS it was. Unless of course this is the state of the industry and everything is about as bad which would be really disheartening.

Things like hooking up pipes backwards or leaving them loose and bad electrical connections to me are signs that the FR management sucks big time - bad engineering, pushing their workforce too hard or not training - or just treating their workers so bad the employees are sabotaging the units to try and financially damage FR!

Is there any 'real' reviews out there that show how these units (all brands) fare over time? A magazine roadtest isn't a true test and may not be impartial. Perhaps my wife's idea of wandering campgrounds surveying owners and posting the results on the web would be more than just a good idea but a sensational one.

I'm really hoping mine is a 'good one' and there aren't any issues - but this thread has discouraged me tremendously. The PDI I do with the dealer is going to be very intensive.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #79

Prof
I have been using campers of all fashions for many years. You may read many who had warranty issues with new rigs but that is a small fraction of the total users. Many who are satisfied feel they do not need to tell the world. Don't get me wrong I have had a few issues with my new 2011 rig and let me tell you that Forest River took care of them quickly. The slow part is the dealer who does the service. I for one have no problems with my Forest River 5th wheel and plan to enjoy it with my family.

Also many who buy used rigs have no ideas about hidden problems that the previous owner didn't take care of and sold it. So anyone who buys a used trailer/5th wheel needs to know or have someone to inspect before buying. That also goes for Class A's. The big thing is the roof and if it was maintained properly so you don't have leaks.

Just count the days until your snow is gone and you hit the road.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #80

that makes me feel a bit better.

sometimes it's interesting what one feels is ok or not - i am not a big gm fan based on my experiences of owning them, dealing with dealerships, warranty, etc. I am a ford fan for about the same reason even though they're not (usually) perfect either.

Part of the reason we bought a new TT is what you mentioned - who know what a PO may or may not have done or how they took care of it. Now we're faced with buying a TV and those issues arise again. I used to have time (and the interest) to fix my vehicles but now I just want them to work. Minor issues aren't too bad but major repairs are a big hassle (warranty or not) and w/o a warranty, expensive. And every time I've bought a used car/truck I've found out in about 2 weeks why the PO was selling it (the hard way too).

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote