Old 07-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #1

Scam alert

We put our trailer up for sale (sobbing) and got a response from someone called Alexander Marc (alexandermarc74@gmail.com) who was interested in buying it. Wanted to do all the transactions via email. Red flag #1. Wanted to pay using PayPal. Claimed he couldn't pick it up because he was in the Army. Red flag #2. A price was agreed upon and an email was received claiming to be from PayPal for the price plus $1850 to cover shipping and Ebay fee. All we needed to do to get our money was send a Money Gram to the "shipper" for $1500. RED FLAG #3. Went back to PayPal email and the from part said PayPal but it was actually from customerspaydesk.mail2pay@gmail.com. REDFLAG #4. I'm glad I caught this. The reason for this post is I hope to prevent someone from falling for this scam. Sent copies of the emails to spoof@paypal.com. Be careful out there. [End of rant]

GerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #2

Appreciate the heads up! Thanks!

pkmkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #3
Site Team

That's one of the more common scams. It always involves getting some "extra" money and then sending that extra money back to them or someone else via Western Union or some sort of gift cards.

I'm a little surprised that they still continue these scams. There must be enough people out there that fall for them that it makes it worthwhile for them I guess...
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #4

This scam has been happening for 20 years at least.

I made one of these guys go through the trouble of fedexing a check to my UPS box once. At least made them spend a few bucks for nothing.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:55 PM   #5

Scams like that has been going on before there was the internet.
BTDT, it involved receiving a cashiers check for $1500 more than the agreed amount for the vehicle purchase.
Victims deposits the check and "refunds" the overage to the suspect.
Suspect says he will return later to get the car.
Victim is notified by the bank 10 days later the check they depositied was bogus.
Suspect never returns for the car.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:04 PM   #6

We had that selling furniture on Craig's List.

Basically, if a SELLER is asked to send/front/reimburse money to a BUYER - it's a scam.
Mrs.Shockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:16 PM   #7

Beware of another one I had attempted on me, the Google Voice scam. I hadn't seen this before.

https://support.google.com/voice/thread/845902?hl=en
https://howtoremove.guide/google-voice-code-scam/
dnmatt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:47 AM   #8
Broken Toe

If a guy ain't willing to do the transaction in the local sheriff department's parking lot, then we ain't transacting.

Our sheriff has a special area for doing on-line purchase meet-up in the parking lot, and they monitor it via CCTV. It is not unusual for a deputy to see people out there, and wander out to check ID's. I don't always use it, but if I suggest it and they start hemming-and-hawing about why they can't that is the biggest, reddest flag for me.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #9

Already had two of those on our current TT that's up for sale. Had one walk up that put up so many red flags I finally had to tell them to stop bothering me or the Authorities would be notified.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:59 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
If a guy ain't willing to do the transaction in the local sheriff department's parking lot, then we ain't transacting.

Our sheriff has a special area for doing on-line purchase meet-up in the parking lot, and they monitor it via CCTV. It is not unusual for a deputy to see people out there, and wander out to check ID's. I don't always use it, but if I suggest it and they start hemming-and-hawing about why they can't that is the biggest, reddest flag for me.

Tim
I don't sell much online, but when I have, I usually just have them come to my house (depending on what it is I'm selling). Even when I can see they are outside, I make them knock on the door. That sets off my security force, several hundred pounds of dog flesh rushing the door barking! That and I have a deputy sheriff, a local PD officer, and a state trooper all in the neighborhood.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:11 AM   #11

I love the ones about your vehicle warranty that is about to expire. At first it was just an automated telemarketing machine telling you your warranty was expired.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...warranty-scams

But now they have amped up the game and actually spend money to send you a letter in the mail.

Sadly if they are able to fund the expense of actual mailings. This leads me to believe that there are a lot of people who buy into this.
tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:13 AM   #12

Exactly. I still get letters and phone calls on my last three trucks. Two, which I haven't owned for over 12 years!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom39 View Post
I love the ones about your vehicle warranty that is about to expire. At first it was just an automated telemarketing machine telling you your warranty was expired.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...warranty-scams

But now they have amped up the game and actually spend money to send you a letter in the mail.

Sadly if they are able to fund the expense of actual mailings. This leads me to believe that there are a lot of people who buy into this.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:18 AM   #13

Some years ago I was selling my house. A potential buyer was going to put up $10,000 in earnest money only problem was all he had was a check for $25,000 and wanted me to deposit it and give him the $15,000 change. I passed.
jk510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:37 AM   #14
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I don't sell much online, but when I have, I usually just have them come to my house (depending on what it is I'm selling). Even when I can see they are outside, I make them knock on the door. That sets off my security force, several hundred pounds of dog flesh rushing the door barking! That and I have a deputy sheriff, a local PD officer, and a state trooper all in the neighborhood.

As someone who has been "accosted" by that dog, I can attest. Ok it seems like "being leaned on by a huge dog" is a far cry from being accosted, but did I mention that his dog is the size of a pony?

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 07-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #15
RV There Yet?

Quote:
As someone who has been "accosted" by that dog, I can attest. Ok it seems like "being leaned on by a huge dog" is a far cry from being accosted, but did I mention that his dog is the size of a pony?

Tim
We have one of those too, more black bear like though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1090.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	210039  
Old 07-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Tim
Wait until you meet Churples, the couple ounce parakeet. While not ferocious, he will keep you entertained with some of his bizarre wording of phrases!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:23 PM   #17

Sounds like the classic craigslist deal. Seller beware cash deal only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryK View Post
We put our trailer up for sale (sobbing) and got a response from someone called Alexander Marc (alexandermarc74@gmail.com) who was interested in buying it. Wanted to do all the transactions via email. Red flag #1. Wanted to pay using PayPal. Claimed he couldn't pick it up because he was in the Army. Red flag #2. A price was agreed upon and an email was received claiming to be from PayPal for the price plus $1850 to cover shipping and Ebay fee. All we needed to do to get our money was send a Money Gram to the "shipper" for $1500. RED FLAG #3. Went back to PayPal email and the from part said PayPal but it was actually from customerspaydesk.mail2pay@gmail.com. REDFLAG #4. I'm glad I caught this. The reason for this post is I hope to prevent someone from falling for this scam. Sent copies of the emails to spoof@paypal.com. Be careful out there. [End of rant]
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:47 PM   #18
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Wait until you meet Churples, the couple ounce parakeet. While not ferocious, he will keep you entertained with some of his bizarre wording of phrases!
Are they any good eatin'?

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 07-16-2019, 04:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk510 View Post
Some years ago I was selling my house. A potential buyer was going to put up $10,000 in earnest money only problem was all he had was a check for $25,000 and wanted me to deposit it and give him the $15,000 change. I passed.
Same story on post #5.
I wasn't the victim though.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #20
Prime Member

Come with cash in hand or don't come at all.

Temporarily Camper-Less
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax

Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote