Old 10-11-2016, 03:51 PM   #11

I purchased my rv in Iowa and drove it home 1,700 miles to Calif. as a total newby. I started out in heavy wind, rain and tornado warnings, made it thru a late spring snow storm in the Colo. Rockies only to get home and then back up into a giant Tufa boulder in my driveway for my first dent.
Ps- just arrived at my LA area body shop to drop off my rv. Last trip to LA after fighting Sun. beach traffic all day, exhausted I stupidly clipped the end of my bumper on the corner of El Pollo Loco and did major damage.(My rear camera and bumper motion sensors don't really show corners.) I travel solo and no spotter unfortunately. This was my first accident in many years. So stupidly again, a couple weeks ago with a new utility trailer and backing a Polaris up the ramp,.In my haste, I forgot to pin the hitch and the trailer lurched florward and the hitch went into the back of my Ford Explorer. That was a tough lesson to learn, to always check that ithe trailer is well chocked and the hitch locked

Old 10-11-2016, 05:09 PM   #12

It does not matter what I buy, it will be "broken in" shortly there after. I had my cute little Ford Escape 2 days and here comes a rock into the windshield. It is still there, but now the added collection has grown and will replace. We had our T.T. for only a month and there is a rip in our awning. Could not think of where we would of driven under a tree, but there it is. Sigh, I don't think keeping something in perfect condition is in the cards. When peeling off the warning stickers on the side of the fridge, it pulled a big chunk of the "wood" off. So I have ended up putting a hook there and place a pot holder to cover it.

2015 23BD Grey Wolf, 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500
2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights
Life is short
mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #13

Scratches on RV

Answer to #1: About 3 weeks. Rubbed a guard post at gas station.

Answer to #2: Rubbed out with rubbing compound and paste wax.

Also had same thing happen with tree limbs on road detour. Ran three quarters way down motorhome. Rubbed out with paste wax.

2013 Georgetown 335DS
KIA Rhondo on tow dolly
DAB2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #14
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
oops!

Ummm....first new anything...pulling out of the dealership on the way home, minor tree scrape....but wait....there's more! When I got home, I backed it under my solar/shade structure without much grief ( first time with a fifth wheel), lowered the tailgate, noticed it would not clear, put it back up, as I pulled forward, it opened and poked a 1"x4" hole in the basement door! At least I got that trauma behind me early on....lol
A Loving wife and Mason the always dirty dog!
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:21 PM   #15

I know the man that owns the auto body shop by his first name, I have gave him some business over the years. If it's just a dent I forget it, bigger then I give him some more business

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:45 PM   #16

I was doing pretty good with my new TT for about 10 months. We were camping over Labor Day when my 2 year old decided she was going to sneak out of the trailer and jump on the golf cart that we rented for the weekend. We were inside changing into our swimwear and assumed our teenage daughters were watching her. Anyhow, we felt a big thud that shook the whole trailer and I ran outside to discover that she had depressed the emergency brake on the golf cart and it rolled downhill into the front corner of the trailer. I was more upset about how easily she could have been hurt than I was about the small dent. Scared the hell out of me!!! I made sure that wheel was chocked the rest of the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 ram 2500
2016 Cherokee 274dbh
Old 10-11-2016, 08:50 PM   #17

I cant even get in or out of my driveway w/o a few branch scratches.Its almost .5 mile long thru the woods and the overhanging branches cant be controlled.If I tried,thats all I would do. Plowing it in the winter is brutal on the sides of the truck,Ive managed to knock a $500 mirror off more than once.We bought it all to use,not sit and look at.The tree sap drippings are a much bigger issue and this summer they were the worst Ive ever seen.The black crap is so heavy that I cant even see out of the bathroom skylight.This is the price we pay for chooseing to live in the middle of heavy timber.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:19 AM   #18

We had ours less than a month when DH decided he knew best when cornering in our yard. He took out 1/2 of the double hung gate, part of the fence and gouged a large hole in the slide and scraped up the side. I was able to fix most of the damage to the trailer with fiberglass repair (still not totally happy with it). Will eventually cover up all the damage with vinyl stickers that matches the rest of the accent stickers.
Replaced the gate and fence post to make it a larger gate.
NC
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:45 AM   #19

I had 1500 miles on my 2015 silverado 1500 when we hauled the trailer to Florida last winter.
Through ice, snow, and road salt, truck was filthy.

I couldn't wait to wash it when we got to Florida. Pulled into a car wash and the wash arm came down right on my hood and did $500 worth of damage.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:05 AM   #20

I had my Solera for only three months when a friggen house painter sprayed oil based brown opaque stain all over my full body paint job and roof; including sunlights and vents. (Also , my car, his nice truck and my general contractors van!) I had to have every inch of the vehicles clay barred- still didn't get off the roof entirely.

Tags
5er