Old 10-11-2016, 11:21 AM   #1

Scratches On Brand New C.C 5er

It happened~!!!
On the first outing of our Brand New CC 36CKTS. Diving down a narrow 2- lane road, on coming traffic, cars behind me, and a fast approaching low hanging limb to my right. Put 4-5 minor light streaks down upper right side of Trailer 18-24" long.
I have three questions.
1. How long was it after you bought it before you got scratches on your Brand New RV/Trailer,
2. Can you rub these light streaks out? ( I'm calling them streaks not scratches only because you cannot feel them at all with your finger. They look more like someone took a Pencil Eraser and went down the Trailer)
3. Is there anything you can do to prevent these (waxes, pastes, etc) or is this just "part of the game".
Thank you,
wbduckman

Old 10-11-2016, 12:09 PM   #2
Site Team

I had mine about a year before the first boo boo. It happened while
backing into a driveway turning sharply. Spotter didn't notice the truck making contact with the trailer. Both the trailer and my new truck were scratched.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #3

Stone chips, scratches, low branches, all part of the "experience".
I quit worrying about minor stuff like that. These aren't show vehicles, there moving houses shaped like a shoe box.
And, after the first boo boo, the second, third, forth, aren't nearly so bad.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Camping trips this year so far...8
Days camping...75
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:50 PM   #4

I can sympathize with you. We took our new Cruise Lite on its maiden voyage back in April of this year, and we were met with a Wild Turkey "splat" to the right front of the TT. Flew out of the brush on the side of the road. Now, as I look back in my passenger side mirror I am always reminded of "that 1st day", when I see the obvious little indents.

I'm much better now! Didn't need any TT therapy.

( p.s. my apologies for the graphics of this pic )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0422161258.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	122694  
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
I can sympathize with you. We took our new Cruise Lite on its maiden voyage back in April of this year, and we were met with a Wild Turkey "splat" to the right front of the TT. Flew out of the brush on the side of the road. Now, as I look back in my passenger side mirror I am always reminded of "that 1st day", when I see the obvious little indents.

I'm much better now! Didn't need any TT therapy.

( p.s. my apologies for the graphics of this pic )
Looks like something out of the movie 300 less the trailer.
Blood galore.
my buddy purchased a new truck and drove it home. his wife came out to admire it and thats when it happened.
he kicked a dent in teh box.
she screamed what the He... double hockey sticks are you doing.

His reply was there now i wont worry about it getting scratched when i go to work in the woods.

get them now or get them later. I will pick later with my new toy hauler we got on Friday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161010_100916_1476188346606_resized.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	122696  
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #6

I personally don't like to buy new because of this... The first scratch/dent hurts. I have loaded the bed of a new PU and scratched it. I would offer cardboard or something and they would say it's gonna get scratched up sometime. My motto is later rather than sooner. I am the same person who will put seat covers on a new vehicle to keep the seats looking "new" and then pull them off when trading, but I tend to be sloppy in a PU. Tools and supplies are a must for me on my my side job. I do A/C work.

I bet it will buff out....FWIW
Old 10-11-2016, 01:38 PM   #7

We got our on our first big trip to Glacier. Got hit on the rear passenger side on the way home. Thankfully it is covered by their insurance. After this I don't worry about the small stuff either.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:38 PM   #8

There are two types of RV campers. Many seem to want everything pristine and only visit commercial RV parks.

The rest of us enjoy smaller National Park, Forest Service, State, and off road camping. I've scratched my 39' motorhome several times jamming it into spots that I was told were only suitable for 25 foot RVs, or taking it down tiny roads with trees overhanging. There are small battle scars all over my RV, and while I don't like for them, I also don't sweat them. I plan to keep this thing for at least a decade or more and I bought it way below wholesale to begin with.

My point is, enjoy the camping, don't be stupid, but don't lose sleep over a little scratch. Its like a jeep. If you are worried about scratching it, the jeep is the wrong vehicle for you. I ran into a guy once in the Grand Canyon who had spent over $60K tricking his jeep out with every off trail lift kit, hemi engine, gas bottles, you name it. I suggested we go wheeling together and he was horrified, stating that "I might scratch something" Huh?

Charlie

2005 Coachmen Sportscoach Encore 380DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
CharlieS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I am the same person who will put seat covers on a new vehicle to keep the seats looking "new" and then pull them off when trading, but I tend to be sloppy in a PU. Tools and supplies are a must for me on my my side job.

I bet it will buff out....FWIW
I just took my seat covers and weathertech floor mats out of my 2013 truck a month ago when i traded for a 2016.

Sales manager asked if i shampooed the vehicle.
he also asked how new the exhaust and air breather box were. from the Cat back it had 2 kms on it or less that 1.5 miles and about 12 miles on the original air breather box and filter.

"Just keep going till it sounds expensive" we always said
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:24 PM   #10

I rubbed my trailer against our Basket Ball hoop on the side of the road with the trailer.. it left an orange streak. I tried the back streak remover spray first and then some varsol to remove it.. Once it came off i washed it clean with soap and water and put come wax on to reprotect the finish

Tags
5er