Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #1

Screwing into under belly of 5th wheel

I want to attach, next to the Black Water valve, a six foot 4" PVC pipe to the under belly of my 5th Wheel (37' 2003 Cardinal Platinum). I plan on using c clamps that I can screw into the under belly to secure the pipe. Does anyone know if screwing it will cause any serious damage and will it be secure? The pipe will hold my black water hoses.
brucettr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:01 PM   #2

Not knowing what is covering your underbelly I can only presume is it plastic panels which protect your tanks, etc. Given the weight of the pipe, c-clamps, and hose I would not trust the plastic panels to support that weight through bumps and jars on various roads. Also, you only have about an 1" +/- between the panel and the tanks.
I have attached an additional hose receptacle in the "curve" under the overhang of the nose of my unit. Easy access; strong location and will accommodate a 20' hose.
tyke8319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

There is a 1 x 2 wooden strip nailed to the bottom flange of the fabricated I beam that is used to screw the coroplast to the trailer. I used 2" self drilling sheet metal screws to hold the alum straps I used to hold the PVC sewer pipes I use to hold the slinkys and the lawn rugs. I would not use clamps as they have a tendency to loosen over time.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #4

On my wildcat the beams are 10" I beams with a two inch flange I drilled 1/4" holes for the clamp strap to bolt on with 1/4 bolts and nylock nuts and over two years now and no problems.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #5

You might want to double check your measurements too. I don't think the hose couplers will fit inside 4" PVC. Some folks have had good luck using the square vinyl normally used to cover deck posts.

Tags
5th wheel, wheel