Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2018, 09:37 AM   #1

Second electricity entrance

We are considering using our TT more into the colder months. We can run an electric heater but want the option of running a second. Has anybody done a mod to allow a 15 amp entrance with breaker box to run a second heater? How did you make entrance/placement of breaker, connections at entrance, etc. I’m sure I could find a way to just run a heavy extension cord but would prefer something safer and more permanent (definitely the extra breaker). Ideas and pics appreciated.
sunnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #2

Something you might consider is splitting the circuits you have now by adding one or two new circuits so that you can run more then one heater. I did that so I could have the coffee maker on in the kitchen and someone could use a hairdryer in the bathroom without popping a circuit breaker. I also use a wave 6 catalytic requires no power just a very small amount of propane I have used it when it was really cold with no problems.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:19 PM   #3

I did what you are wanting to do to two different trailers. I used one of these
MinnKota MKR-23 AC Power Port (White), in the side of my trailer, the other side of an inside cabinet. If you look up that part on the net you'll see that you just plug a cord into it. Inside the cabinet I put a small breaker box and was then was able to put two extra outlets in my trailer. It's really a simple upgrade and does exactly what you want done. If I you have any questions I will try to help. Good luck.
I John 5:13
2007 Silverback 30LSTS
2006 F250 Super Duty Crew 6.0
Rollin Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:10 AM   #4

an easy and safe way is to run a short cord somewhere thru the floor to the outside from a receptacle location inside. From there you run a 12GA extension cord to the 20 amp receptacle on the pedestal. No load on your trailer panel and the heater would be on its own 20 amp breaker from the pedestal. Others just run an extension out thru one of the slide seals.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
an easy and safe way is to run a short cord somewhere thru the floor to the outside from a receptacle location inside. From there you run a 12GA extension cord to the 20 amp receptacle on the pedestal. No load on your trailer panel and the heater would be on its own 20 amp breaker from the pedestal. Others just run an extension out thru one of the slide seals.

I did exactly this to provide a second source of power for my water heater. I made up a short cord that penetrates my floor through the same insulated hole as my low point drains. The male plug dangles about 6 inches below the floor, ready to connect an extension cord. Although i didn't see the need for a breaker box i could have easily installed one, using this as the feed. Everything is 12 guage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180423_120110075.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	186736  
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I did exactly this to provide a second source of power for my water heater. I made up a short cord that penetrates my floor through the same insulated hole as my low point drains. The male plug dangles about 6 inches below the floor, ready to connect an extension cord. Although i didn't see the need for a breaker box i could have easily installed one, using this as the feed. Everything is 12 guage.
Installing a breaker box would have been redundant. It's on a breaker at the ped.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Installing a breaker box would have been redundant. It's on a breaker at the ped.
I agree, that is why I didn't install one. The water heater is the only thing on the citcuit.
Andersen hitch
Old 09-17-2018, 08:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I agree, that is why I didn't install one. The water heater is the only thing on the citcuit.
I guess I should have checked with you before I did mine. I will start posting all of my changes to make sure they are up to the standards of you guys.
I John 5:13
2007 Silverback 30LSTS
2006 F250 Super Duty Crew 6.0
Rollin Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin Okie View Post
I guess I should have checked with you before I did mine. I will start posting all of my changes to make sure they are up to the standards of you guys.
No need to get snippy. We were just giving an easy out way of doing it. Some people are not mechanically inclined. I did not look up what you posted because you didn't supply a link to it. It sounds like a good idea. There are many different ways of accomplishing this type on Modification.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:26 AM   #10

For the sake of reliability and appearance I think I'd be inclined to install a second power inlet just like the one the main power cord is attached to. Just mark it "Auxilliary Pwr Inlet" and have a second cord that is secured with a weatherproof connection to the RV and a standard 120 v "Plug" on the other end.

On my Trailer there's plenty of room next to the existing inlet to add a second one. Then merely install a wall receptacle on the inside wall and wire power inlet to receptacle. Perhaps a little more expensive than just running a cord through the floor that hangs in the weather until plugged into an extension cord but a lot more reliable, especially on a heater circuit.

Of course one could do a modified conversion to 50 amp service. Run the 30 amp trailer electric's off one leg of the 50 amp and then wire the other for the heaters. For non-50 amp service use one of the 30 amp/20 amp Y adapters where one side is plugged into 30 amp service and other is plugged into the 20 amp receptacle on the pedestal.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:28 AM   #11

I decided to install a 50 amp breaker panel for 120 volt tank heaters and to power two oil radiator heaters and 2 forced air heaters for the upcoming winter.

I do, however, have a separate 20 amp power inlet just for my converter.

I'm still leaving my 30 amp panel in and will run a line from the 50 amp to the 30 amp. Hardest part of this mod is figuring out where to put new outlets. Those darn water tanks under the camper affected my outlet placement.
TranceX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #12

I already ordered a MinnKota mkr23. Both for appearance and to run ito a panel box/ breaker for added safety. Don’t want to risk loosing a $40k plus investment to save $20.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #13

Quote:
No one is criticising your install. Just pointing out other options.
Andersen hitch
Old 09-17-2018, 03:06 PM   #14

Quote:
I learned early on the forum that no matter how good a wrench you buy someone will have a better one! If you are happy and it works good for you.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:04 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Before this thread derails... there have been many posts on adding a second electrical connection to the R/V. Old Coot was one of the first. I believe his was for a 2nd A/C but it has bee long enough back I don't remember for sure. Others have done it for the water heater and others for the use of an electric heater.

It's isn't too big a job and there are posts with photos you can peruse if you do a search.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #16

Quote:
This comment made me laugh out loud. I took it as good natured ribbing because everybody has a different way of doing things. If it works for you and you're happy with the results that's all that matters.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:11 PM   #17

Yes there are different ways, and that’s what I was looking for. I have decided to add an additional electrical entryway to the exterior of the TT with and internal circuit breaker. While the 20amp has a breaker at the supply, you work with the assumption that it works properly, and a second level of security doesn’t hurt. That’s why we have breakaway brakes on our trailers. Thanks to all for the input
Old 09-17-2018, 09:45 PM   #18

I put a plug pass through on the outside wall of our unit. Then ran a short piece of 12 gauge romex wire to an outlet under the lower bunk. Just run a short extension cord to the pedestal. It lets us run either an extra heater or DWs blow drier within using up any of our 30 amp Service. I can take pictures tomorrow if needed. Jay.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnman View Post
We are considering using our TT more into the colder months. We can run an electric heater but want the option of running a second. Has anybody done a mod to allow a 15 amp entrance with breaker box to run a second heater? How did you make entrance/placement of breaker, connections at entrance, etc. I’m sure I could find a way to just run a heavy extension cord but would prefer something safer and more permanent (definitely the extra breaker). Ideas and pics appreciated.

I was looking at this for that exact reason. Nice mount and you can cut the interior plug or use it as is.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ANV81S..._kVgOBbYZTSW4N
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:26 PM   #20

A few years ago We added a second service, breaker box, and outlets. This was for a second AC, heater in the winter, and second refrigerator.

We did the box as we had two extra circuits.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1744.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	186850   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1745.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	351.0 KB
ID:	186851   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1746.jpg
Views:	160