Old 09-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #1

Second electricity entrance

We are considering using our TT more into the colder months. We can run an electric heater but want the option of running a second. Has anybody done a mod to allow a 15 amp entrance with breaker box to run a second heater? How did you make entrance/placement of breaker, connections at entrance, etc. Iím sure I could find a way to just run a heavy extension cord but would prefer something safer and more permanent (definitely the extra breaker). Ideas and pics appreciated.

sunnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #2

Something you might consider is splitting the circuits you have now by adding one or two new circuits so that you can run more then one heater. I did that so I could have the coffee maker on in the kitchen and someone could use a hairdryer in the bathroom without popping a circuit breaker. I also use a wave 6 catalytic requires no power just a very small amount of propane I have used it when it was really cold with no problems.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:19 AM   #3

I did what you are wanting to do to two different trailers. I used one of these
MinnKota MKR-23 AC Power Port (White), in the side of my trailer, the other side of an inside cabinet. If you look up that part on the net you'll see that you just plug a cord into it. Inside the cabinet I put a small breaker box and was then was able to put two extra outlets in my trailer. It's really a simple upgrade and does exactly what you want done. If I you have any questions I will try to help. Good luck.
I John 5:13
2007 Silverback 30LSTS
2006 F250 Super Duty Crew 6.0
Rollin Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:10 AM   #4

an easy and safe way is to run a short cord somewhere thru the floor to the outside from a receptacle location inside. From there you run a 12GA extension cord to the 20 amp receptacle on the pedestal. No load on your trailer panel and the heater would be on its own 20 amp breaker from the pedestal. Others just run an extension out thru one of the slide seals.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
an easy and safe way is to run a short cord somewhere thru the floor to the outside from a receptacle location inside. From there you run a 12GA extension cord to the 20 amp receptacle on the pedestal. No load on your trailer panel and the heater would be on its own 20 amp breaker from the pedestal. Others just run an extension out thru one of the slide seals.

I did exactly this to provide a second source of power for my water heater. I made up a short cord that penetrates my floor through the same insulated hole as my low point drains. The male plug dangles about 6 inches below the floor, ready to connect an extension cord. Although i didn't see the need for a breaker box i could have easily installed one, using this as the feed. Everything is 12 guage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180423_120110075.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	186736  
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I did exactly this to provide a second source of power for my water heater. I made up a short cord that penetrates my floor through the same insulated hole as my low point drains. The male plug dangles about 6 inches below the floor, ready to connect an extension cord. Although i didn't see the need for a breaker box i could have easily installed one, using this as the feed. Everything is 12 guage.
Installing a breaker box would have been redundant. It's on a breaker at the ped.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
Old 09-17-2018, 07:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Installing a breaker box would have been redundant. It's on a breaker at the ped.
I agree, that is why I didn't install one. The water heater is the only thing on the citcuit.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I agree, that is why I didn't install one. The water heater is the only thing on the citcuit.
I guess I should have checked with you before I did mine. I will start posting all of my changes to make sure they are up to the standards of you guys.
I John 5:13
2007 Silverback 30LSTS
2006 F250 Super Duty Crew 6.0
Rollin Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin Okie View Post
I guess I should have checked with you before I did mine. I will start posting all of my changes to make sure they are up to the standards of you guys.
No need to get snippy. We were just giving an easy out way of doing it. Some people are not mechanically inclined. I did not look up what you posted because you didn't supply a link to it. It sounds like a good idea. There are many different ways of accomplishing this type on Modification.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #10

For the sake of reliability and appearance I think I'd be inclined to install a second power inlet just like the one the main power cord is attached to. Just mark it "Auxilliary Pwr Inlet" and have a second cord that is secured with a weatherproof connection to the RV and a standard 120 v "Plug" on the other end.

On my Trailer there's plenty of room next to the existing inlet to add a second one. Then merely install a wall receptacle on the inside wall and wire power inlet to receptacle. Perhaps a little more expensive than just running a cord through the floor that hangs in the weather until plugged into an extension cord but a lot more reliable, especially on a heater circuit.

Of course one could do a modified conversion to 50 amp service. Run the 30 amp trailer electric's off one leg of the 50 amp and then wire the other for the heaters. For non-50 amp service use one of the 30 amp/20 amp Y adapters where one side is plugged into 30 amp service and other is plugged into the 20 amp receptacle on the pedestal.

Politically Incorrect since 1943

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric