Old 02-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #11

Dave,

You are 100% right.

A dealer that does not disclose is a last buy from me. I'll look else where because of the fact. RVW might be in a somewhat close future. I am just worried about warranty work and not being local.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #12

Decline

My feelings exactly..I could tell you lots more that I never posted here on the forum about the whole sour deal....If you come to the Goshen Rally we can have a set down and I will tell you the rest of the story..Paul Harvey no less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
FWIW...we dealt with RVW and RV Direct and both had the FR 2nd year warranty form included in the paperwork when we picked up the campers. A dealer not telling you about the FR 2nd year warranty tells me all I need to know about them.

Dave

Old 02-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #13
Site Team

With all due respect I think the 2nd year warranty is a well-kept secret that seems to start with Forest River. Could dealers share this information with customers? Sure.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:45 AM   #14

My Dealer didn't disclose it. I asked at paper signing and the look I got across the desk told the tale. I was never even asked after that if I wanted to even think about an extended warranty. The Paperwork was not with the Forest River paperwork either. I called FR on my own and they emailed me the paperwork to mail back with a check.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:28 AM   #15

warranty

the two year warranty was mentioned at our closing on the Crusader270RET..when the first year warranty was getting close to expiring, I called the dealership and ask for the extension..all of a sudden they had a memory laps..called FR, they told me it only covered certain coach's and the Crusader Line was not on that list....what kind crap is that...the dealer offered to sell me a seven year extended warranty for like 1700 bucks...exploring I found the same thing for 1200..then my wife and I sat down..we have owned a 2003 Sunnybrook T/T, it has only gone back to the dealership one time since 2003..little things I fix myself, nothing major has ever gone wrong..what we did after the warranty had expired ot it was, put 1500 bucks in safe for future repairs, it is now ear marked for the Crusader....after the 27 items that the dealership corrected after we purchased it, heck there isn;t much left that can go wrong...1500 bucks should cover most of that...
It is a shame that we loyal RV folks have to get knocked around, especially after spending so much for these darn things. My corvette cost as much as the Crusader, GM and the dealership jumped thru fire to make sure we are satisfied with our car....why, they know we will be back for another one at sometime in the future....thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by captbenjy View Post
My Dealer didn't disclose it. I asked at paper signing and the look I got across the desk told the tale. I was never even asked after that if I wanted to even think about an extended warranty. The Paperwork was not with the Forest River paperwork either. I called FR on my own and they emailed me the paperwork to mail back with a check.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #16
Moderators' Assistant

one problem here, is that many equate the RV industry to the Automotive industry. especially regarding dealers and warranties.
the two industries have little in common, other than they both produce things with wheels and have dealers that sell them.
the relationship between RV manufacturer and RV dealer is very different than in
the Auto industry.

RV dealers don't have to honor warranties, to units that they haven't sold. so why would they be required to sell an extra year factory warranty that they make no money on, when they can gouge a customer with an expensive 3rd party warranty, that they get a commission on.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #17

But that is the whole problem. Dealer's want to sell their warranties, they do not want to oblige fixes if you did not buy it from them, etc. This is just wrong, and it should be comparable to buying a car. I have a problem with my F-150, I can get warranty work coast to coast. I know it is not all of the dealers fault, Forest River and other manufacturers need to step up to the plate.

I would be more interested in buying a dealers warranty if they told me about FR's 2nd year up front. I could buy from year 3 and forward. It is what it is...sorry for the rant.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:31 AM   #18
Moderators' Assistant

Gregg, this is an RV industry-wide issue and has been for years.

again, you're making the comparison to the Auto Industry, which is not going to change anything.
maybe if foreign companies started competing with the North American RV industry, like Japanese companies did with the American Auto industry, maybe you'd see some big changes.
right now, they have no competition, except with each other.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #19

I'll say this. Jayco comes with a 2 year warranty standard. They also have the highest resale value. If I were at FR I'd match the 2yr standard warranty even if I raised the price of my units to cover it. EVERYONE who purchases a FR product would pay the 150 for an additional year of coverage. Either do away with it or give it standard to everyone. Damn what the dealers say. What are they going to do stop selling a product that just became more attractive to buyers?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by captbenjy View Post
I'll say this. Jayco comes with a 2 year warranty standard. They also have the highest resale value. If I were at FR I'd match the 2yr standard warranty even if I raised the price of my units to cover it. EVERYONE who purchases a FR product would pay the 150 for an additional year of coverage. Either do away with it or give it standard to everyone. Damn what the dealers say. What are they going to do stop selling a product that just became more attractive to buyers?
I have owned two new jayco trailers. Both have had zero defects. My Crusader 270ret has had three major defects and has been back to the factory two times. You can bet my next R.V. will be a Jayco. If you think about it. Most RVers only use their rvs during the summer. You get a one year warranty, so thatís only one summer of warranty use ( maybe 5 or 6 times out ). Thatís not much warranty time in my book, to work all the possible defects out !! Donít get me wrong, I love my Crusader. It just seams to me, that Prime Time does not take the time, to check the product, before it leaves the factory.

Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote